Wiki Posts
Search

Confused on Process

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2023, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
Confused on Process

I am flying EWR to FRA on UA, then transferring to a LOT flight to WAW, all on a single PNR. I thought I would have to go through passport control in FRA to enter the Schengen Zone then take my bags and drop them someplace (but where?) then go through security, and get to my gate. I've read a couple of responses on other threads that seem to indicate that I will have to go through passport control, but won't pick up my bags until I get to WAW. But that doesn't really make sense, as it is Schengen to Schengen.

So will I need to pick up my bags and then after walking through the green channel, drop them someplace? And Where will I drop them? On a belt, or do I need to go to departures and wait in a line to drop them there. I only have an hour and 15 minutes layover, so I want to be sure I know exactly what I am doing.

I am Polaris on UA, but economy on LOT if that matters.

Thank you!

Last edited by Annerk; Jun 13, 2023 at 8:48 am
Old Jun 13, 2023, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Why doesn't that make sense? In FRA you have to go through passport control, in Warsaw there will be no regular passport control. The suitcases are checked through (if the airlines cooperate) and go through customs in Warsaw. In Europe it's (fortunately) not like in the US, where I have to recheck my luggage at the first airport.
By the way, Schengen only affects people checks, not goods. For example, Switzerland is part of the Schengen area, but not part of the customs union.
STBCypriot likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 11:41 am

Programs: LH MM SEN & many others+++
Fully agree with @offerendum, you will get your luggages on WAW.
Most likely no one will be interested in them.

Safe journeys!
Old Jun 13, 2023, 12:13 pm

Programs: FB Gold
It makes sense to pick up your bags in WAW, as it's your final destination. You go thru contrôle passeports at your first point of entry into the zone Schengen, which is FRA. Then your flight to WAW will be like a domestic flight, with no further passeport formalities upon arrival there.

What doesn't makes sense is how it works in the US, where you have to pick them up even if it's not your final destination (which could be outside the US).
offerendum and STBCypriot like this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by mlin32
What doesn't makes sense is how it works in the US, where you have to pick them up even if it's not your final destination (which could be outside the US).
Excactly.
STBCypriot likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 3:45 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
One small addition. There could be a random carry-on luggage customs check in FRA but normally this is only done for flights from destinations which re notorious for smuggling of illegal substances. Customs for checked luggage will be in WAW and as long you have nothing to declare just use the green line.
STBCypriot likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.