Frankfurt Central Station

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2023, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....

Looking for input from Frankfurt insiders.

Thinking of staying at the Intercity at Central Station after coming of a 10-11h flight at 5pm. Just looking for something easy to get to (have to take the train the next day anyway), access to some food and drinks and to stretch my legs and get some fresh air.

How non seedy is the area? It is probably relatively safe as I don't plan to be there after dark (as I'm there July/August it stays light late anyway), but a general situation update nowadays. Some tips on restaurants in the area are appreciated or general walk through this area but avoid that one are appreciated.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 2:33 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Should be fine. The worst bits are to the east and north (e.g. Kaiserstraße).

It's nice along the river that time of year.

If I was looking for food in that area, either Restaurant Persia or Mosch Mosch would be my go tos.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Along the river sounds grand!

Thanks
Old Jun 3, 2023, 4:17 am

Programs: FB Gold
As mentioned, the few streets immediately to the east and north are to be avoided. Once past the Taunusanlage and Opéra, it's fine. Not sure I'd want to stay at the InterCity immediately at the Central station though, it's right next to all the long-distance busses.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 2:50 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Kaiserstrasse, Elbestrasse, Moselstrasse, Taunusstrasse and Weserstrasse are seedy in the sense that they are in the red light district, so plenty of adult cinemas, prostitution and so on. Münchener Strasse is a bit less seedy (that's the one with the tram). The absolute worst and to be avoided however is Niddastrasse, specifically the two blocks between Moselstrasse and Weserstrasse. It's home to an open drug scene, with people injecting on the street, i.e. near-Tenderloin levels of squalor and human misery.

Re hotels: the InterCity is really not a great place to relax. It's closest to the station, yet consistenly one of the cheapest options in the area - ask yourself why. The Fleming's properties on the northern side of the main station are in a marginally more quiet location (no bus station!), are just as cheap and a bit nicer (not much). If your budget stretches to it, the Meridien is very close, but in a location which feels a mile away from the station (even though it's more like 1/8 mile really). Otherwise, there are some really reasonably priced properties in the Gateway Gardens area near the airport, with a fast S-bahn link to Hauptbahnhof the next day. Easy to go into Stadtwald forest for nice walks/runs.
blitzen likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 1:56 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by supine
Should be fine. The worst bits are to the east and north (e.g. Kaiserstraße).

It's nice along the river that time of year.

If I was looking for food in that area, either Restaurant Persia or Mosch Mosch would be my go tos.
Not the nicest area of town but the hotel is on the south side of the train station where it is relatively calm.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 2:11 am

Yeah, that area around Kaiserstrasse is high on the squalor scale. This was our first experience transiting through a German train station, and it was not a good one. Berlin, however, is spectaular.

I know much has been said about Frankfurt airport. We will actively try to avoid it all costs from now on. Absolutely our worst airport experience, ever.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 9:06 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by tom tulpe
If your budget stretches to it, the Meridien is very close, but in a location which feels a mile away from the station (even though it's more like 1/8 mile really).
So the area around the Meridien is safe? I booked a five night stay there in December and I'll be a woman traveling alone. I wanted to be close to central station because I plan on some day trips and will be departing by train but can look at other options if the area isn't great.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
I was just at the Scandic by myself, which is a block farther from the station than the Meridien. Using the south entrance from the station and walking to my hotel (past the Meridien) was fine. I don't remember the name of the exit, but it was onto Mannheimerstrasse, and you can make a right immediately onto Wiesenhuttenstrasse, which is where the Meridien is. I was there at around 7pm, and again at around 6:30am.

Kaiserstrasse itself was okay as well, as long as I walked straight out of the station for several blocks.
ShopAround likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by sambagrrl07
I was just at the Scandic by myself, which is a block farther from the station than the Meridien. Using the south entrance from the station and walking to my hotel (past the Meridien) was fine. I don't remember the name of the exit, but it was onto Mannheimerstrasse, and you can make a right immediately onto Wiesenhuttenstrasse, which is where the Meridien is. I was there at around 7pm, and again at around 6:30am.

Kaiserstrasse itself was okay as well, as long as I walked straight out of the station for several blocks.
Thank you, that's very helpful to know!
sambagrrl07 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by ShopAround
So the area around the Meridien is safe? I booked a five night stay there in December and I'll be a woman traveling alone. I wanted to be close to central station because I plan on some day trips and will be departing by train but can look at other options if the area isn't great.
Yes, it's a lot better than most of the rest of the area.
But don't use the underground passages to get there. Instead: As you get off the train, turn towards the exit to your right as you get to the main concourse. Exit and cross Mannheimer Strasse where the pedestrian crossing is next to the tramstop. Turn left and walk past Hotel Excelsior to Baseler Strasse, where you cross at the traffic lights. Wiesenhüttenstrasse is straigth ahead and then right, where Hotel Savoy is. Walk past that and next up is the Meridien.
ShopAround and sambagrrl07 like this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 6:48 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
The underground passages are closed currently since a few months and probably for more months, they are completely remaking them.
tom tulpe and flyingfkb like this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by tom tulpe
Yes, it's a lot better than most of the rest of the area.
But don't use the underground passages to get there. Instead: As you get off the train, turn towards the exit to your right as you get to the main concourse. Exit and cross Mannheimer Strasse where the pedestrian crossing is next to the tramstop. Turn left and walk past Hotel Excelsior to Baseler Strasse, where you cross at the traffic lights. Wiesenhüttenstrasse is straigth ahead and then right, where Hotel Savoy is. Walk past that and next up is the Meridien.
Thank you, this is very helpful.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by fransknorge
The underground passages are closed currently since a few months and probably for more months, they are completely remaking them.
Thanks - I wouldn't know as I never use them
Old Jul 21, 2023, 8:57 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
As reported above, central station area in general is not the nicest. Niddastrasse and surrouding streets are best avoided.

Another option would be that you go to e.g., Südbahnof area (Sachsenhausen, much nicer) after your flight. And then the next day an easy tram or train ride to central train station for your onward journey

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.