Wiki Posts
Search

Renew German passport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2023, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL
Renew German passport

Please move to correct forum as applicable.
I'm a German citizen and permanent resident in the USA. My passport expires later this year. Last time I renewed it, I was able to do so through the Honorary German Consul in SLC, rather than traveling to San Francisco (the Consulate in charge of WY, 900 miles away). SLC is lot closer to my home in Western Wyoming, but has denied me as an out of area resident. Can I renew my passport at the German Embassy in Washington DC? They are not answering emails or the phone calls Ive placed. Im traveling to DC for work next month anyway. Thanks for any insights!
Old Apr 4, 2023, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Have you tried the Honorary Consul in Denver that is part of the San Francisco consulate jurisdiction?

https://www.germany.info/us-en/embas...o/906804?view=

Utah seems to be part of the LA consulate region while Wyoming belongs (as you say) to San Francisco.
altabello likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Have you tried the Honorary Consul in Denver that is part of the San Francisco consulate jurisdiction?

https://www.germany.info/us-en/embas...o/906804?view=

Utah seems to be part of the LA consulate region while Wyoming belongs (as you say) to San Francisco.
On the website map, Denver seems to be in LA area, just like SLC, and not in charge of WY. Thanks though, I have contacted them in case the map is wrong.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 1:16 pm

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Normally you need to go to the consulate which is in charge for your state. The map is very clear https://www.germany.info/us-de/servi...finder/1217036 . The consulate in San Fransisco is in charge of Wyoming .

But! My dad lives in Florida and normally Miami is the consulate he must go to but last year when he needed to renew his passport there were no appointments available and he got on in Atlanta. The consulate in Atlanta did not really like it but accepted it when he explained that he was not able to get an appointment in Miami.
altabello likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
https://www.germany.info/us-de/servi...ate-wy/1217170

HK for Wyoming is in Denver, according to that link. The map seems to contradict that.
altabello likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Booked an appointment in Denver for the end of May, first available. San Francisco had NO appointments available, period. Embassy in DC never responded. Very un-German, lol.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 12:21 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by altabello
Very un-German, lol.
You haven't been to Berlin in a long time, have you ?
Marschel and offerendum like this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom tulpe
You haven't been to Berlin in a long time, have you ?
Not in 20+ years, and never had the pleasure to visit any authorities there. But die Berliner Weise always made that different from the rest of the country Im assuming. 😜

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.