Wiki Posts
Search

Union Actions (Strike) at German Airports - 2023 edition

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2023, 3:12 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany
Original Poster

Union Actions (Strike) at German Airports - 2023 edition

Just a heads up, that there will be a strike by ver.di at the airports in FRA / MUC / BRE / STR / HAM / DTM / HAJ on February 17, 2023.

As the airports of Frankfurt and Munich are also affected, a large number of Lufthansa and Lufthansa Group flights are expected to be affected, but also other airlines might operate on a reduced schedule or will / have to cancel flights.

On a positive note, Düsseldorf as third largest German Airport will not be affected this time.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 8:42 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
To add: these airports will effectively be closed and ask people not to come to the airport since "operations cannot be guaranteed" (FRA) and "regular operations are suspended" (MUC). Stuttgart and Hamburg have also canceled virtually all flights.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Strike in Germany in 2023 affecting trains,airports, autobahns

Looks like 3/27/2023 could be an ugly day for travel in, to, and from Germany as the railroad and service unions are planning a one day strike. If I understand this correctly, it would impact rail airport operations and even autobahn services?

https://www.zeit.de/wirtschaft/2023-...hngesellschaft

Time to book some backup travel.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 3:23 am

Programs: FB Gold
Honestly, any public transit/service in Germany has been, and will continue to be a hit-or-miss gamble with strikes the next few months. For example there are strikes shutting down 4 German airports today. In the last few weeks there were strikes on local public transit in RMV (Francfort), nursery care for children, hospitals, doctors, etc......

The minimum notice period is 24h so it could or could not happen.

Just part of life in Europe.
offerendum likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 7:25 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Just to be clear. No autobahn will be closed. Just the autobahn authority (in charge of planning and managing) might go on strike, This has no effect on the roads (at least not short term). Maybe the planning of a new autobahn will be delayed but there are other reasons why such projects get delayed even more.
offerendum and bacchus85 like this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by flyingfkb
Just to be clear. No autobahn will be closed. Just the autobahn authority (in charge of planning and managing) might go on strike, This has no effect on the roads (at least not short term). Maybe the planning of a new autobahn will be delayed but there are other reasons why such projects get delayed even more.
You should only expect more traffic as people have to use a car instead of public transportation, but that's all.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 9:38 am

Programs: Marriott-LT Titanium; AA-LT Gold/Currently Plat Pro
Quick question on this. We are transiting through MUC on Mar 23 (BOS-MUC-CPH), is there a website I can be watching that announces strikes. I have booked a back up award flight thru LHR just in case but I would like to be on top of it as much was possible.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 10:06 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany
Original Poster

Originally Posted by odie11
Quick question on this. We are transiting through MUC on Mar 23 (BOS-MUC-CPH), is there a website I can be watching that announces strikes. I have booked a back up award flight thru LHR just in case but I would like to be on top of it as much was possible.
Usually either the airport or Lufthansa has an announcement if the airport (or in case of LH their network) is affected. The most news outlet cover the topic as well. But I am not aware of one single webpage.
odie11 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 3:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
SGM (the security company in MUC) has just callled a strike in the morning of March 23 from 8am to 2pm. But this should not impact you as you don't have to clear security in MUC. US arrivals are considered 'clean'.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 7:29 am

Programs: Marriott-LT Titanium; AA-LT Gold/Currently Plat Pro
Originally Posted by oliver2002
SGM (the security company in MUC) has just callled a strike in the morning of March 23 from 8am to 2pm. But this should not impact you as you don't have to clear security in MUC. US arrivals are considered 'clean'.
Thank you for the information! I was just looking on line and saw that there is the threat of a countrywide strike in public transport and administration called for on Monday March 27 if demands are not met by then but had not seen this. I am glad to know that it should not affect us. I was going to check one bag through but now am reconsidering if if there is chaos on the other side.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 11:13 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I was going to check one bag through but now am reconsidering if if there is chaos on the other side.
Checked bags will not be impacted by this at all, the security checkpoints for passengers will be closed (for maximum strike effect) not the automated screening system.
odie11 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 8:57 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Fraport just informed FRA will be affected the 27th March and disruptions are expected.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Well, looks like Monday will be a mess. Glad I rebooked my trip to escape on Sunday.
offerendum likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingfkb
Not sure that’s entirely accurate. News reports talk about Autobahn tunnels operated by the Autobahnmeisterei being impacted (closed). In general, I don’t think they would strike if their strike wouldn’t be felt by the public. If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to observe it…

https://www.augsburger-allgemeine.de...d65860321.html
Old Mar 23, 2023, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like Munich airport is closed on Sunday 3/26 and Monday 3/27.

https://www.munich-airport.de

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.