Search

Covid requirements for transit T2 - T1 in FRA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2022, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, LM
Covid requirements for transit T2 - T1 in FRA

Hi all,
am possibly doing a trip that involves a connection in FRA. Arrival would be on a BA flight 902 (end of a ticket from SYD to FRA via said LHR) arriving in FRA at 09:55am in J. I think that is to terminal 2. On a separate ticket, I would be departing FRA for MEX at 13:35pm on LH498 in F, albeit on an awards ticket, from Terminal 1. The nominal 3 hrs 40 minutes should be a breeze in connection. I think?
I am thinking that the physical connection time is ok. But am I correct in assuming this requires landside travel? I would be travelling as fully vaccinated but without a recent Covid test as I do not require this on arrival in MEX.
Anyone foresee problems for me?
Old Feb 4, 2022, 12:02 pm

Programs: FB Gold
As you are on separate tickets and changing terminals, you will enter Germany and thus need to meet the entry requirements for Germany on top of your final destination of MEX. Yes, you will exit landside as the two terminaux are not connected. I believe the automated Skytrain is running again, or there's a shuttle bus. You cannot walk.

There's no telling how short or long the queue for border control will be......and T1 can be a disaster at many times of the day.
juddles likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mlin32
As you are on separate tickets and changing terminals, you will enter Germany and thus need to meet the entry requirements for Germany on top of your final destination of MEX. Yes, you will exit landside as the two terminaux are not connected. I believe the automated Skytrain is running again, or there's a shuttle bus. You cannot walk.....
Thanks mlin32,
I have serached and found the following website for Germany requirements:
https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/f...97140bodyText1
It includes this part: "Transit through Germany to travel to a country outside of the EU
Citizens of countries outside of the EU may enter Germany to travel to a country outside of the EU if the following conditions are met:
  1. the traveller remains in Germany (as country of transit) only as long as absolutely necessary to travel directly to the country of destination or another transit country;
  2. the traveller is permitted to enter the country of destination or another transit country, if applicable.
The traveller must provide evidence on entry that the conditions (1) and (2) listed above have been met. Airline or other travel tickets, etc. may be presented to meet condition (1). To meet condition (2), travellers can present authorisation of entry to the country of destination (e.g. a visa) or an identity document or residence authorisation for the country of destination, for example."

Can anyone interpret what that means, as far as are there testing requirements in addition to just being vaccinated?
Old Feb 5, 2022, 12:15 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
As you are on separate tickets and changing terminals, you will enter Germany and thus need to meet the entry requirements for Germany on top of your final destination of MEX. Yes, you will exit landside as the two terminaux are not connected. I believe the automated Skytrain is running again, or there's a shuttle bus. You cannot walk.
There is airside transfer using the SkyLine trains, but unless OP manages to check his baggage trhough to MEX it won't help, as he has to recaim it and re-check it (i.e. has to enter Germany).
Old Feb 6, 2022, 1:40 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by juddles
Thanks mlin32,
I have serached and found the following website for Germany requirements:
https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/f...97140bodyText1
It includes this part: "Transit through Germany to travel to a country outside of the EU
Citizens of countries outside of the EU may enter Germany to travel to a country outside of the EU if the following conditions are met:
  1. the traveller remains in Germany (as country of transit) only as long as absolutely necessary to travel directly to the country of destination or another transit country;
  2. the traveller is permitted to enter the country of destination or another transit country, if applicable.
The traveller must provide evidence on entry that the conditions (1) and (2) listed above have been met. Airline or other travel tickets, etc. may be presented to meet condition (1). To meet condition (2), travellers can present authorisation of entry to the country of destination (e.g. a visa) or an identity document or residence authorisation for the country of destination, for example."

Can anyone interpret what that means, as far as are there testing requirements in addition to just being vaccinated?
Other than the possibility of long queues at FRA making you miss your flight, I don't think there is an issue. You don't say when you're travelling, but under the current rules you can enter Germany from most countries for any reason without quarantine and without a test as long as you're fully vaccinated. If you're just transiting I don't think you even need to fill in the Einreiseanmeldung (locator form), though you do need to be able to show your proof of vaccination at the border.

I haven't read the context of the part you quote, but most of the lengthy conditions mentioned in the ordinances apply to unvaccinated people, who I think can transit under certain circumstances with a negative test.
juddles likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 3:08 am

Programs: FB Gold
I usually fly out of T2 and recall there is only one station for the SkyLine for T2 (it's landside).

The question of admissability to a country on separate tickets has been asked many times on various Flyertalk forums, and at the end of the day it is up to the interpretation of the gate agent when you check in. There have been instances where a simple onward ticket the same day, even if a separate résa, is sufficient for the gate agent. There have been other times where it's been denied. Your results may vary, depends if you want to roll the dice.
juddles likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 3:47 am

Programs: BA Silver
The question of admissability to a country on separate tickets has been asked many times on various Flyertalk forums, and at the end of the day it is up to the interpretation of the gate agent when you check in. There have been instances where a simple onward ticket the same day, even if a separate résa, is sufficient for the gate agent. There have been other times where it's been denied. Your results may vary, depends if you want to roll the dice.
I agree with you for destinations where the traveller may not be allowed to go landside in the transit country. But here, the OP seems to be fully vaxxed and, unless I have misunderstood, therefore normally allowed to enter Germany from a third country whether they are transiting or not. This seems far less risky than many of the trips mentioned on FT which involve reliance on transit exemptions etc. (If the onward trip to MEX is a separate ticket, will the gate agent even care about anything other than eligibility to enter Germany?)
juddles likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 6:29 am

Programs: LH SEN
I usually fly out of T2 and recall there is only one station for the SkyLine for T2 (it's landside).
The Skyline has both landside and airside parts. Half of each train supports one or the other, different platforms on either side of the train.

When starting at T2 just look for signs towards A/B/Z rather than passport control/baggage claim.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by mustafina
But here, the OP seems to be fully vaxxed and, unless I have misunderstood, therefore normally allowed to enter Germany from a third country whether they are transiting or not.
Assuming their passport allows them to enter Germany without a visa.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Assuming their passport allows them to enter Germany without a visa.
Australian passport
Old Feb 6, 2022, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by juddles
Australian passport
should be fine, mate.

safe travels!
juddles likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 1:11 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

As you are on separate tickets and changing terminals, you will enter Germany and thus need to meet the entry requirements for Germany on top of your final destination of MEX. Yes, you will exit landside as the two terminaux are not connected. I believe the automated Skytrain is running again, or there's a shuttle bus. You cannot walk.There's no telling how short or long the queue for border control will be......and T1 can be a disaster at many times of the day.
T1 is not really a factor as the OP is in F, so s/he will just waltz over to the FCT.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
We are both Canadian's fully boostered. Arriving FRA on AC at 6am connecting to SK which departs at 3pm. Separate tickets. What are the requirements as of today for Canadians transiting on separate tickets?
Old Feb 14, 2022, 12:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Proof of vaccination is fine:
https://lufthansa.travel-regulations...h-enabled=true

Canada is not a risk area: https://einreiseanmeldung.de/#/
djjaguar64 and offerendum like this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
When is this for?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.