Wiki Posts
Search

German Consulate Canada : "Cominarty recognized but not Pfizer"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2021, 11:04 am
mk2
Original Poster

German Consulate Canada : "Cominarty recognized but not Pfizer"

The vaccines listed on the website of the Paul Ehrlich Institute so far include only the vaccines named "Comirnaty," "COVID-19 Vaccine Moderna," "Vaxzevria," and "COVID-19 Vaccine Janssen." Sublicensed vaccines with other names or vaccines produced by the same manufacturer under a different name are not yet recognized
I can't post a link here yet.
But it's canada dot diplo dot de. .....and then click on the covid-19 section.

It's just announced today

So that means no one fully vaccinated in Canada or any other country that only has the word "Pfizer BioNTech" will be recognized :'(
Old Jun 23, 2021, 11:32 am

Programs: Aadvantage Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mk2
I can't post a link here yet.
But it's canada dot diplo dot de. .....and then click on the covid-19 section.

It's just announced today

So that means no one fully vaccinated in Canada or any other country that only has the word "Pfizer BioNTech" will be recognized :'(
I checked the webpage of Paul Ehrlich Institut that lists the vaccines recognized in Germany for travel, and they list BioNtech.
my CDC card says Pfizer - BioNTech for both shots, so that should be ok for entry into Germany

https://www.pei.de/EN/newsroom/dossi...t221?cms_pos=3
Old Jun 23, 2021, 12:00 pm
mk2
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flsusi
I checked the webpage of Paul Ehrlich Institut that lists the vaccines recognized in Germany for travel, and they list BioNtech.
my CDC card says Pfizer - BioNTech for both shots, so that should be ok for entry into Germany

I know, but :
Also Pfizer-Biontech actually sub-licensed the vaccine under the name "tozinameran" (google it).
And that Consulate statement says "only Cominarty and no other Sublicensed name"
So if the Canadian receipt only says "PfizerBioNtech" ...that doesn't say if it's Cominarty or Tozinameran. That's 2 different sublicensed name. And Germany is only accepting one of them. Basically the worry is the receipt/certificate from Canada will be too ambiguous to be reconigzed for travel to Germany.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 1:58 am

Programs: UA-½K
But this link at the Paul-Ehrlich Institute::

COVID-19 Vaccines

Specifically names BioNTech/Pfizer (Comirnaty) as an approved vaccine as of Dec 21, 2020.

AFAIK, this vaccine is a joint effort between Pfizer (US) and BioNTech (EU) - so the name issue is probably just simple Eurocentrism, just like how everyone in the US calls it just "Pfizer" and ignores the other company.
seawolf likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by mk2

Well, my US vaccination docs show “Pfizer” and I had no problem getting into Germany. And I was able to get a digital vaccine certificate here; the pharmacist looked at my docs and just said “Pfizer is BioNtech, right?”

Here in Germany everyone seems to call it BioNtech. That is the German manufacturer/developer, but the product trade name itself is “Comirnaty” (and that is recorded in German vaccine passports).

Regarding
tozinameran - that is apparently the INN (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pfizer...VID-19_vaccine ). I had never seen that anywhere until you mentioned it.

In a ideal world we would have never used the manufacturer name to refer to the vaccine since it is (eventually) possible that one manufacturer has multiple different vaccines (e..g., it is unclear if a future booster shot from Pfizer/BioNtech will be the same as the first two). But… it is for now what it is.

For travel, I really don’t think you have reason to worry. The airline employees checking your vaccine passport/card will know that your vaccine qualifies. The immigrations officials, if they even want to see the card (in my recent experience, they don’t), will know, too.
nancypants and kalderlake like this.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Jun 24, 2021 at 5:40 am
Old Jun 24, 2021, 11:05 am
mk2
Original Poster

Thanks notquiteaff !
Yeah I am hoping that the Toronto Consulate is just slightly misinformed, because I received the below reply from them.
I'm Canadian , fully vaxxed in Toronto. Our receipt is similar with the CDC card, it only mentions "Pfizer-BionTech mRNA Vaccine" , no QR code, but it's abit more digital (PDF format, not handwritten.)
So if they accept CDC Cards, Idk why the Toronto Consulate says this. ( i mean I realize that the CDC card is nationwide so that's easier. Here , the 13 provinces each have their own certificate format ! ).

But like you, I"m realllllly hoping that the airline staff is reasonable and does not base themselves on the Consulate website, but rather Tematic , IATA, NOTAM , and direct German Govt website ...of which is more reasonable than what's posted on canada dot diplo dot de

Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you for contacting the Visa Section of the German Consulate General.
Yes, that is correct.
Unfortunately, proof of vaccination by Canadian authorities is currently not fully recognized by the German authorities for entry exemptions.
Please refer to the information provided here:
[redacted]
For that reason, the following travel restrictions continue to apply for those individuals that do not fulfill the vaccination requirements until further notice:
[redacted]

Last edited by FLYGVA; Jun 27, 2021 at 11:46 pm Reason: edited link
Old Jun 25, 2021, 3:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Biontech, the German company that developed the mRNA vaccine branded Cominarty, teamed up with Pfizer for global production and distribution. Curiously Germans consider it to be made by Biontech, US Murricans consider it to be from Pfizer.
offerendum and seawolf like this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Biontech, the German company that developed the mRNA vaccine branded Cominarty, teamed up with Pfizer for global production and distribution.
Minus China where BioNTech is partnering with Fosun Pharma (but I think the “Fosun vaccine” isn’t approved yet).
OSSYULYYZ likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 5:39 am

Programs: UA-½K
I consider the naming issues to be forgivable considering the chaotic and rapid rollout of the vaccines. I had no issues entering Germany with my laughable CDC card (just a card with handwritten info on it, no stamps or seals) and also got the certificates at the local Apotheke with it.

From my past experience traveling to Germany under COVID (last November) is that the rules tend to trickle down slowly after a new mandate. So I'd bet as more US travelers get these certificates, they'll clamp down on it sooner or later. Especially if the German government is paying 18 euros per certificate to the pharmacists to do the paperwork.
notquiteaff and TravisMT81 like this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rworne
Especially if the German government is paying 18 euros per certificate to the pharmacists to do the paperwork.
It’s supposedly going to drop to 6 euros soon.

https://www.aerzteblatt.de/nachricht...er-soll-sinken

California now has their own QR code. Of course, it doesn’t validate with the Swiss and German check apps that I tried. Would be nice if those apps were able to accept QR codes signed by other governments (if people are otherwise expected to accept the paper equivalent). Also would be nice if US states (other than FL and TX, who just hate vaccine records) would standardize.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 8:42 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by mk2
Thanks notquiteaff !

Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you for contacting the Visa Section of the German Consulate General.
Yes, that is correct.
Unfortunately, proof of vaccination by Canadian authorities is currently not fully recognized by the German authorities for entry exemptions.
Please refer to the information provided here:
[redacted]
For that reason, the following travel restrictions continue to apply for those individuals that do not fulfill the vaccination requirements until further notice:
[redacted]
Get a yellow WHO vaccination pass https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...or_Prophylaxis and get your vaccinations documented there. This booklet is internationally accepted (for decades) I'm always confused why some countries seem to have trouble to use proper international long time established documentation and just hand out some paper notes.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 9:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Minus China where BioNTech is partnering with Fosun Pharma (but I think the “Fosun vaccine” isn’t approved yet).
Slightly off topic: The Fosun–BioNTech COVID‑19 vaccine Comirnaty Vaccine is approved in Hong Kong SAR and Macau SAR.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 12:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Germany / PEI have updated their acceptance of equivalent vaccines authorized under different brand names in other countries:

https://www.pei.de/EN/newsroom/dossi...4146&cms_pos=3
notquiteaff and seawolf like this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 9:46 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Comirnaty is to Pfizer Covid vaccine as Tylenol/acetaminophen is to paracetamol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.