Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

KD cruise recommendations

Old Apr 24, 19, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SW, Hilton, , UAL plebe, AA plebe

I have a short visit to Cologne planned in July - would like to take a Rhine cruise. No defined sights in mind, haven't been to this region since the 70's so my memories are a bit dim.

Would prefer not to spend an entire day on this excursion....and it would be OK to take a train (1 way) to maximize the timing.

Any recommendations? Thanks

RRZ
Old Apr 24, 19, 1:41 pm

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Platinum
I would take the boat to Linz and from their the train back. The boat leaves Cologne every day at 9:30am and arrives Linz at 2:50pm.
Old Apr 24, 19, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SW, Hilton, , UAL plebe, AA plebe
What about....taking the train to Mainz, taking the boat from Mainz up to Boppard (the furthest point north apparently on that particular boat), then train back to Cologne? I've heard that the "Rhine gorge" area is the most scenic part?

Thanks
Old Apr 25, 19, 1:56 pm

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by rrz518 View Post
What about....taking the train to Mainz, taking the boat from Mainz up to Boppard (the furthest point north apparently on that particular boat), then train back to Cologne? I've heard that the "Rhine gorge" area is the most scenic part?

Thanks
Also possible but requires a longer train ride.In case the train is running late you might miss the boat. The Rhine gorge is the most beautiful part with a lot of castles along the route but the part between Cologne and Linz is scenic, too.
Old Apr 26, 19, 6:25 am

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by rrz518 View Post

Thanks

I would suggest to skip the section between Mainz -> Rüdesheim/Bingen as it is not as interesting as the later stages. Instead, take the train to Bingen and take the boat from there either to Boppard or Koblenz (depending on how long you want to spend on the boat).
Old Apr 27, 19, 1:22 am

Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dj_jay_smith View Post
I would suggest to skip the section between Mainz -> Rüdesheim/Bingen as it is not as interesting as the later stages. Instead, take the train to Bingen and take the boat from there either to Boppard or Koblenz (depending on how long you want to spend on the boat).
I could not agree more
dj_jay_smith likes this.
Old May 2, 19, 8:01 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Accor gold, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold, A3 *Gold
Originally Posted by dj_jay_smith View Post
This. Bingen preferably because there are semi-fast trains to Bingen from Cologne. You're stuck on the "all stations" train if you want to go to Rudesheim.
dj_jay_smith and MHG like this.

Search this Thread