Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Do I need to carry my passport with me in Germany?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do I need to carry my passport with me in Germany?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2018, 2:42 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by WorldLux
I'm surprised by the number of poster saying that the passport is stored in the safe. FWIW, I don't consider a hotel room safe to be a safe place. I keep my passport on my person.
The in-room safe might be problematic but still a better place than just leaving valuable or important items in plain sight in the room. For really important and high valuables you should use the main safe of the hotel which requires you to go to the reception. Not all hotels offer this while other explicitly inform you not put highly valuable items in the in-room safe but rather in the main safe.
Old May 7, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Call me paranoid But I always carry my passport. Then again I have been doing this for a long time and in places most sane people don't go.
Old May 7, 2018, 6:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
Call me paranoid But I always carry my passport. Then again I have been doing this for a long time and in places most sane people don't go.
The paranoid ones are those who are afraid of theft or losing their passport. I've never lost a passport or had one stolen but have had a in-room hotel safe opened and gone through.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 6:56 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
A foreigner in Germany is required to be able to produce a passport when an authority asks for it. https://dejure.org/gesetze/AufenthG/48.html

In practical life, if you do not carry your passport with you and you are stopped, your plans for the day are on hold until the authority has seen your passport in original. Mostly they will accompany you to your hotel or whereever you may have safely stored your passport.

US passport cards are not ID allowed by Germany, but EU citizens can use their national ID cards. Driving Licences issued anywhere are not ID in Germany, they are just a licence to drive.
Old May 7, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by jiaogulan
I'll take my chances with a hotel safe vs. lugging around my passport all day. Especially in Germany...
Care to explain? Germany isn't exactly Fallujah. Carrying a passport in your pocket is perfectly fine.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
US passport cards are not ID allowed by Germany, but EU citizens can use their national ID cards. Driving Licences issued anywhere are not ID in Germany, they are just a licence to drive.
Interesting that you say that. The website of US embassy and consulates in Germany states that
The passport card facilitates entry and expedites document processing at U.S. land and sea ports-of-entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The card may not be used to travel by air. Otherwise, it carries the rights and privileges of the U.S. passport book and is adjudicated to the exact same standards.

When outside the United States and the above mentioned countries, the passport card can be used as a valid citizenship identification, though it is not valid for travel internationally (for example traveling from Germany to Switzerland/Austria/France/etc.)
offerendum likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by Badenoch
The paranoid ones are those who are afraid of theft or losing their passport. I've never lost a passport or had one stolen but have had a in-room hotel safe opened and gone through.
Paranoid like leaving the hotel in the AM and being unable to return due to civil unrest and a couple of times flat out departing the country. (Africa, Middle East, South East Asia)

Last edited by Dublin_rfk; May 7, 2018 at 7:38 am Reason: spelliing
Old May 7, 2018, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
A foreigner in Germany is required to be able to produce a passport when an authority asks for it. https://dejure.org/gesetze/AufenthG/48.html

In practical life, if you do not carry your passport with you and you are stopped, your plans for the day are on hold until the authority has seen your passport in original. Mostly they will accompany you to your hotel or whereever you may have safely stored your passport.

Thanks!
Old May 7, 2018, 8:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jiaogulan
I'll take my chances with a hotel safe vs. lugging around my passport all day. Especially in Germany...
Eh...why?
offerendum likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:23 am
Suspended

I pay no attention to what I am carrying or not carrying on me at any given time. Sometimes I have my passport with me, sometimes I have no ID whatsoever.

If I am walking from my hotel to a restaurant down the street or something, I will have my wallet with me obviously but I would not have my passport. I think people need to realize that in the real world, the average foreign traveller is cut some slack by the Police in general. I know that there are countries in Europe who by law require everyone on the street to provide acceptable ID when asked. I also know from having lived in several of those countries, that in practice, a tourist on the beach is not expected to have their passport with them. The majority of tourists on a beach are highly unlikely to have any form of ID with them at all. f there is some reason why the Police decide to question them, they will simply be accompanied to their hotel to provide ID.

Don't 'over think it' Uh Clem. Oliver2002 has given you the practical answer.

I remember when I lived in Greece that everyone understood that there was EU law, Athens law, Island law and then commonly accepted practice. The only one that really mattered was the last one.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:30 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Interesting that you say that. The website of US embassy and consulates in Germany states that
Being identified as an US citizen really doesn't help you, they also want to see if you are still allowed to remain, ie the entry stamp in your passport. If I were to show my German national ID in the US to a DHS/ICE official they would probably not let me go without verifying my right to remain in the country.... which they can't without seeing my passport
Old May 7, 2018, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Eh...why?
I wondered about that, too. I would say though that the chances of your hotel safe being broken into are very small in Germany while pickpocketing gangs are becoming a more common factor in Germany (open EU borders and EU membership for Romania/Bulgaria may play a role here). In realistic terms, it's probably almost impossible for a visitor to gauge the relative risks here (except they're likely pretty small in any event).

I think losing it or misplacing it out of carelessness is likely a bigger risk than it being stolen either way.
König likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold
Originally Posted by Uh Clem
Once I check into my hotel I usually keep my passport in the hotel safe and keep a photo copy of it in my wallet while I'm out and about. I've never been asked for my passport but I'm wondering if the photo copy will be ok in the event that I'm involved in a car accident or other incident where I'm asked for ID. Anyone ever have any experience with this?
Actually it is the law, you need a valid government issued ID with you at all times ( driver's license or health insurance cards are not a valid ids). rarely you need to show your ID but if the police or Zoll Police (customs police) ask for it you can show the photocopy of your id and if the insist in seeing the original document you can take them to hotel to see the actual ID.
Old May 7, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold
Being identified as an US citizen really doesn't help you, they also want to see if you are still allowed to remain, ie the entry stamp in your passport. If I were to show my German national ID in the US to a DHS/ICE official they would probably not let me go without verifying my right to remain in the country.... which they can't without seeing my passport
excellent post! they forgot they are in a foreign country with different rules!
Old May 7, 2018, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
(open EU borders and EU membership for Romania/Bulgaria may play a role here).
Funny you should say that...a scruffy little kid attempted to steal my son's bike from a public park in Berlin yesterday. It all happened under our noses. I won't make any sweeping generalisations, but it appeared they were from the Romanian community's picnic event...running after him produced the expected result...
Old May 7, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Care to explain? Germany isn't exactly Fallujah. Carrying a passport in your pocket is perfectly fine.
Also interested to get an explaination.....
RolfD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.