Community
Wiki Posts
Search

9 days in Germany

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by dj_jay_smith
Bamberg is lovely and well worth a trip, but the beer is very special smokey beer which I personally don't like much. So I wouldn't go there just for the beer unless you are sure you will like this.
Actually, only two of the ten breweries brew smoke beer (and one of those does non-smoked beers as well). It just happens that the only Bamberg beer that is regularly exported is smoked.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Exactly what I needed

Originally Posted by SunshineStay
Here is a nice itinerary from Munich to Frankfurt, which should give you plenty to see and do:
i
  • You start in Munich, which has a nice christmas market and lots of great museums. But you need to tell us in what direction you want to go (arts, science, ...) with the museums.
  • You drive to Regensburg, which has a really nice old town and a nice christmas market.
  • Then you go to Nuremberg, which has the most famous christmas market in Germany. In terms of museums, I would recommend the "Germanisches Nationalmuseum" (Germanic national museum).
  • Then try Bamberg, which has lots of good beer, is one of the few cities that didn't get bombed during the WW2 and is definitely worth a visit.
  • On your way to Würzburg (which has a christmas market, too), where you should visit the residence and the castle, please make a stop in Königsberg, which has a really nice old town with lots of half-timbered buildings, but is not nearly as touristy as the likes of Ruedesheim or Rothenburg ob der Tauber, that you hear a lot from.
  • Then in Frankfurt, try the christmas market and then head over to the Museum of Modern Art (5 minute walk from the main christmas market) or head over the Main river to the museum riverside, which offers lots of great options. I personally like the Staedel museum (lots of classic and modern art), the Liebighaus (sculpture museum) and the German Architecture museum.

I would recommend staying in Munich, Nuremberg, Bamberg and Frankfurt, but the route is flexible and you can leave stops out or just stay a few hours here and there and then drive on.
Thank you so much. This gives me a wonderful start to the planning and includes stuff that interests me and my wife.

Quick question about car rentals - Is it possible to drop the car off at a different city in Germany without exorbitant fees? Or is this a question for another forum?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:21 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
One-way fees exist, but are not nearly as exorbitant as in the US.

Make sure that you don't rent from a rental station directly at the train station or at an airport, since the major players (eg. Avis, Hertz, Sixt, Europcar) charge a hefty 19% fee on those rentals.

It is way cheaper to take public transportation for 2-3 stations to an inner-city rental station of the same company and do the rental there to avoid the fee.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 8:24 am

If driving between Salzburg and Regensburg, or if you want to get out of the tourist crowds in Salzburg, I recommend Burghausen, with its castle/fortress, not too far down the river. Should be pretty and authentic.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:46 am

I agree

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.