Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Berlin: Unexpected car upgrade - where to drive?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Berlin: Unexpected car upgrade - where to drive?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by roberino
He laughed, told me to calm down and got me to rev the engine.
Eeehmm. Did you make your way all the way to Italy by accident? Only place I know where cops want to hear your "macchina"
Old May 18, 2017, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Eeehmm. Did you make your way all the way to Italy by accident? Only place I know where cops want to hear your "macchina"
I guess I hadn't technically broken the law (?) so he just wanted to tell me to take it easy.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:42 am

Losing control of your vehicle can AFAIK be fined in Germany. That said, you wouldn't be the first one to have involuntary side action in a BMW, particularly on wet roads.
Old May 18, 2017, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Losing control of your vehicle can AFAIK be fined in Germany. That said, you wouldn't be the first one to have involuntary side action in a BMW, particularly on wet roads.
Not so "involuntary". It was short, unimpressive and largely computer-controlled but actually try it. Fun though. Got some muscles twitching.
Old May 18, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Plus the A115, which goes on the former Avus track has a speed limit of 100 since 1989.
yes, not so much fun
Old May 18, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by roberino
Quick update. Didn't get much sleep last night. Did about 400km overnight on the A2 and out to Dresden. Got pulled over by a cop who spotted me experience a "traction issue" on a slip road. He laughed, told me to calm down and got me to rev the engine.

The car was incredible but isn't an Autobahn beast. It was much more interesting on the occasions I hit the turns. I want one sooooo badly...
That's the reason I would never buy a former rental car.....
Old May 19, 2017, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
So true.
Old May 19, 2017, 4:52 pm

Never buy:
  1. A driving instruction car: Duh!
  2. A rental: Don't be gentle. It's a rental
  3. A tuned vehicle: There are some good mods out there that were made by professionals that know their stuff, but usually it's Chad who had little time and little money and tuned it himself. The engine may blow out and the brake disk may be cheese.
  4. A sport edition: Chances are that however owned it first, properly trashed it around a B-Road/the Nordschleife and the brakes, tires, clutch, suspension, etc. will have suffered quite a bit. That said, a trained eye could spot the issues rather well.
Old May 19, 2017, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never buy:
  1. A driving instruction car: Duh!
  2. A rental: Don't be gentle. It's a rental
  3. A tuned vehicle: There are some good mods out there that were made by professionals that know their stuff, but usually it's Chad who had little time and little money and tuned it himself. The engine may blow out and the brake disk may be cheese.
  4. A sport edition: Chances are that however owned it first, properly trashed it around a B-Road/the Nordschleife and the brakes, tires, clutch, suspension, etc. will have suffered quite a bit. That said, a trained eye could spot the issues rather well.
All true! As I always buy sport editions I buy them new. Also it's the only way I get it the way I want. Excemption would be if it's full, nearly new and I get a huge discount.
Old May 19, 2017, 5:26 pm

All true! As I always buy sport editions I buy them new. Also it's the only way I get it the way I want. Excemption would be if it's full, nearly new and I get a huge discount.
Or if they are in great condition and rare (either limited editions or great cars that have been discontinued).
Old May 20, 2017, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or if they are in great condition and rare (either limited editions or great cars that have been discontinued).
OK, could also be a reason. Personally I like to have an actual car and change it frequently. My father one bought a one year old S 600 which was used as Mercedes chauffeur-driven (board) company-car. I was under 50% of list-price.
Old May 31, 2017, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

...? This made TalkMail!
Old May 31, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA MM Lifetime Gold, Delta Gold, SPG/ Marriott Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
With a rental car? Not really a good idea.
I'm fairly sure those are grounds for a lifetime ban from Hertz, I assume the penalties from other companies are similar.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:28 am

It's kinda ironic how they have these comparatively fast cars and expect people not to hoon them
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 4004
It's kinda ironic how they have these comparatively fast cars and expect people not to hoon them
You may drive fast but not on a race-circuit. Hooning likes no one who thinks reasonable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.