Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Catching Train at MUC...How Much Time?

Catching Train at MUC...How Much Time?

Old Jan 16, 17, 7:54 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 34
Catching Train at MUC...How Much Time?

Hey guys/gals,

Did a search and could not really find the answer I was looking for.

Flying YYZ --> AMS --> MUC all on one booking. Will be traveling Euro Business AMS --> MUC with a checked bag.

From MUC I need to get to Linz and was planning on taking the train.

How much time do I need from my (expected) arrival time until I get on the train?

I am supposed to land at 13:30 and the train departs at either 14:33 or 15:44. Is it possible to make the 14:33 train? I would like to get to Linz as early as possible.

Thanks in advance!
YWGtoAnywhere is offline  
Old Jan 16, 17, 8:09 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: トロント
Programs: AC E50K, Flying Blue, Accor Gold, ANA, Avios
Posts: 4,341
Checked in baggage or not? Even with so called priority I was on a KML YYZ-AMS-MUC flight and it took over 30 minutes for bags to show on carousel in Munich. Then add some time to walk to the airport train station etc...14:33 would be doubtful.
mapleg is offline  
Old Jan 16, 17, 8:20 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by mapleg View Post
Checked in baggage or not? Even with so called priority I was on a KML YYZ-AMS-MUC flight and it took over 30 minutes for bags to show on carousel in Munich. Then add some time to walk to the airport train station etc...14:33 would be doubtful.
Yes checked bag. I will also be with KLM.
YWGtoAnywhere is offline  
Old Jan 16, 17, 8:44 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Programs: British Airways Gold
Posts: 2,476
Are those train departure times from Munich Hbf? The airport is ~45 mins away by frequent S-bahn train
ajeleonard is offline  
Old Jan 16, 17, 9:31 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
Are those train departure times from Munich Hbf? The airport is ~45 mins away by frequent S-bahn train

No, they are departures from the airport to then connect at Hbf.
YWGtoAnywhere is offline  
Old Jan 16, 17, 5:35 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chicago, USA
Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Posts: 717
Try getting a priority tag on your luggage, for what it's worth. Given an on-time arrival, and luggage delivered promptly, you can make the early train.
Ghentleman is offline  
Old Jan 17, 17, 2:50 am
  #7  
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Biggleswade
Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Posts: 13,361
As we have a dedicated Germany forum, I'll move this over. Please continue to discuss this topic in the Germany forum.

stut
Moderator
Europe Forum
stut is offline  
Old Jan 17, 17, 4:34 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Berlin
Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL**; HH Diamond
Posts: 638
Originally Posted by YWGtoAnywhere View Post

I am supposed to land at 13:30 and the train departs at either 14:33 or 15:44. Is it possible to make the 14:33 train? I would like to get to Linz as early as possible.
I don't believe you would ever have to wait that long between trains to get from the airport to the station in town. There is an S-Bahn or a bus going roughly every ten minutes.
AlienInTheFatherland is offline  
Old Jan 17, 17, 4:49 am
  #9  
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Germany
Programs: Some
Posts: 7,771
Originally Posted by Ghentleman View Post
Try getting a priority tag on your luggage, for what it's worth. Given an on-time arrival, and luggage delivered promptly, you can make the early train.
If it departs from the Airport 1 hour is plenty of time. Without collecting bags you need not more than 10 minutes to the Train, with collecting bags perhaps 30 minutes. Priority tag at MUC is not that useless, I had to wait 5 minutes longer in the past without.... Since this Event I make sure I have one...
offerendum is offline  
Old Jan 17, 17, 6:58 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland View Post
I don't believe you would ever have to wait that long between trains to get from the airport to the station in town. There is an S-Bahn or a bus going roughly every ten minutes.
I believe it showed this way to try to minimize connection time at Hbf. I imagine the trains the Linz are not very frequent and that would be the reason for such a large gap at the airport.
YWGtoAnywhere is offline  
Old Jan 17, 17, 6:59 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by offerendum View Post
If it departs from the Airport 1 hour is plenty of time. Without collecting bags you need not more than 10 minutes to the Train, with collecting bags perhaps 30 minutes. Priority tag at MUC is not that useless, I had to wait 5 minutes longer in the past without.... Since this Event I make sure I have one...
Thanks!

I guess I could also book a flex ticket and if for some reason I am late I should be able to change it.

I guess my best bet is to wait to see if my AMS --> MUC flight is on time and then book.
YWGtoAnywhere is offline  
Old Jan 17, 17, 8:38 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Shanghai and Bavaria
Programs: Spire RA, SPG Platinum, FB Ultimate, LH FQTV, Ctrip Diamond VIP.
Posts: 2,987
Originally Posted by YWGtoAnywhere View Post
Thanks!

I guess I could also book a flex ticket and if for some reason I am late I should be able to change it.

[...]
+1 for the flex ticket.
I've waited at MUC T1 between 2 mins and almost an hour for baggage delivery. As nice MUC may be, baggage delivery (and security) can take terribly long compared to most other major airports. (And I can't understand why they don't have these processes under control)
Chinatrvl is online now  
Old Jan 17, 17, 8:59 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany
Posts: 107
If you buy a flexible train ticket, you don't need to change it, just take the later train. If you buy a saver ticket with Deutsche Bahn, changing it on the day of departure is not possible, so you would have to buy a new ticket. I don't know the conditions for OeBB saver fares, but i guess they are similar regarding changes.
Fireflyer05 is offline  
Old Jan 17, 17, 9:22 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland - ABZ
Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Posts: 1,978
Originally Posted by YWGtoAnywhere View Post
I believe it showed this way to try to minimize connection time at Hbf. I imagine the trains the Linz are not very frequent and that would be the reason for such a large gap at the airport.
They are fairly frequent since Linz is on the main Munich-Salzburg-Vienna route.

Trains from Munich airport go either of two ways into town.
Anti-clockwise (S1) or Clockwise (S8)

The S1 takes a bit longer but if you get the right train from Hbf you don't have to change at Salzburg.

On the S8, you don't go all the way to Hbf but get off at Munich Ost and get the next train to Salzburg, and change there for Linz.

Total time either way is the same, +/- 2 minutes.
mandolino is offline  
Old Jan 17, 17, 9:36 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Shanghai and Bavaria
Programs: Spire RA, SPG Platinum, FB Ultimate, LH FQTV, Ctrip Diamond VIP.
Posts: 2,987
Originally Posted by mandolino View Post
They are fairly frequent since Linz is on the main Munich-Salzburg-Vienna route.

Trains from Munich airport go either of two ways into town.
Anti-clockwise (S1) or Clockwise (S8)

The S1 takes a bit longer but if you get the right train from Hbf you don't have to change at Salzburg.

On the S8, you don't go all the way to Hbf but get off at Munich Ost and get the next train to Salzburg, and change there for Linz.

Total time either way is the same, +/- 2 minutes.
Yet the change at Munich Ost takes 2 minutes, whereas at Munich Hauptbahnhof it takes a lot longer to get from the S-Bahn to actual train station. So, I'd take the S8 and change at Munich Ost.
Chinatrvl is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread