Search

Frankfurt -> CDG drive

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2016, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: mvp75k, DL-0body
Frankfurt -> CDG drive

Hallo,

I will be arriving at T1/FRA and take S8 then S6 train to Hertz station 21, will pickup a rental there and drive to CDG.
1. Train ticket can be purchase at T1 by US (chip) Visa , right ?
2. For 6 hrs drive, I will need to pay toll: can I use the same credit card ? can I use the same credit card for gas along the way ?

3. Any tip of driving within Germany ? I drove in France/Italy during our previous trip with no issue, fyi.

TIA,
Old Jun 24, 2016, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by ccna101
Hallo,

I will be arriving at T1/FRA and take S8 then S6 train to Hertz station 21, will pickup a rental there and drive to CDG.
1. Train ticket can be purchase at T1 by US (chip) Visa , right ?
2. For 6 hrs drive, I will need to pay toll: can I use the same credit card ? can I use the same credit card for gas along the way ?

3. Any tip of driving within Germany ? I drove in France/Italy during our previous trip with no issue, fyi.

TIA,
1. Driving in Germany is easy - no worry
2. Visa should work at all gas-stations on the Autobahn
3. You can pay toll via Visa (http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/payment-methods.htm)
Old Jun 27, 2016, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I do not believe the machines for the local trains (S Bahn) accepts credit cards, just coins and smaller notes.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Where is your card from? Acceptance of CCs on French autoroutes is a crap shoot, even if the card is chip & PIN. All depends on the operator. If North American or non-European, I'd advise using the cash lane and having change just in case.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:44 pm
qpr

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I do not believe the machines for the local trains (S Bahn) accepts credit cards, just coins and smaller notes.
You can pay with coins, notes and and cards (incl. creditcard).
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Where is your card from? Acceptance of CCs on French autoroutes is a crap shoot, even if the card is chip & PIN. All depends on the operator. If North American or non-European, I'd advise using the cash lane and having change just in case.
This has been my experience. Even along the autoroute, some stations accept only Visa cards issued in France by French banks.

It's easy in some sense to drive on the autobahn versus the autoroute in that generally drivers are skilled and pay attention, but do you really wan't to drive 100 mph in heavy traffic when you're jet lagged from a TATL I assume flight?

Note that in Europe you generally navigate by following signs for a sequence of major intersections or cities by name, NOT by road numbers.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Thank you ...

Originally Posted by qpr
You can pay with coins, notes and and cards (incl. creditcard).
Old Jun 30, 2016, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Agree about the warning of autobahn ... no, I have no plan to do anything more than 65mph , will take reasonable time in the slow line
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This has been my experience. Even along the autoroute, some stations accept only Visa cards issued in France by French banks.

It's easy in some sense to drive on the autobahn versus the autoroute in that generally drivers are skilled and pay attention, but do you really wan't to drive 100 mph in heavy traffic when you're jet lagged from a TATL I assume flight?

Note that in Europe you generally navigate by following signs for a sequence of major intersections or cities by name, NOT by road numbers.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 1:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Agree about the warning of autobahn ... no, I have no plan to do anything more than 65mph , will take reasonable time in the slow line
You'll need to be faster than that, even in the slow lane!
Old Jul 1, 2016, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Thatīs really slow I guess many trucks and perhaps even tricycles will pass you

But without judging a drive after a Long flight (Autobahn or not) can be dangerous, so take care. Even with 65 mph or in the city itīs fatal if you fall in a microsleep.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
[QUOTE=offerendum;26855726]Thatīs really slow I guess many trucks and perhaps even tricycles will pass you/QUOTE]

I should hope not - isn't the truck limit 50mph?
Old Jul 3, 2016, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
I should hope not - isn't the truck limit 50mph?
On the paper
Old Jul 5, 2016, 4:40 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I used my chase CSP visa on autoroutes for french toll, works fine.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 6:45 am

I'd always get cash with you in case they don't accept credit cards. Even in Germany I've had some (smaller) gas stations along the highway that said "Cash only" because their terminal was out of order or similar stuff happened.. you don't want to arrive at such place on reserve tank

Regarding driving, as long as you make 90km/h+, you'll be faster than the trucks (they're electronically regulated at 89km/h) - but you'll still be the slowest person in a car on the Autobahn.

In fact, if you intend to only drive around 90-100km/h on the highway, I'd suggest NOT to take the highway (in France at least) but just a non-toll road. I just asked Google about the difference in time / distance from the border with Germany/France to Paris:

Avoiding Tollroads, about 4hrs30min vs. 3hrs30min, but that's assuming you'll drive at the French speed limit on the tollway. Doing 20-30km/h less than that, and you'll only gain some minutes. Distance is about the same, as it seems the Non-Toll Road is going equally straight.

Might be definitely an idea, as gas will also be cheaper on the non-highway stations.

Last edited by YuropFlyer; Jul 6, 2016 at 7:32 am Reason: TOLL :D
Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:16 am

Programs: Compulsory Traveller
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer

Avoiding Toolroads
I suppose you mean toll roads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.