Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about passport requirements for travel from Brazil to Germany

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2016, 2:10 am
qpr

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Yes, but from my time in Germany, I remotely remember that Germans have to have a valid id. The passport is optional. Apparently, you can get fined up to 5,000€ for an expired id card.
Yes as a german you have to own a valid ID otherwise they can fine you up to 5000€ (but there´s no need to carry the ID all the time with you).
Old May 5, 2016, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by qpr
Yes as a german you have to own a valid ID otherwise they can fine you up to 5000€ (but there´s no need to carry the ID all the time with you).
No need to have an ID card if you hold a passport.
Old May 6, 2016, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
And it may also be of interest that until a few years national identity card were only available to people resident in Germany, not to expats. Lots of expats probably still don't have them because they don't know that they can now get them.
Old May 6, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Correct me if I'm wrong:

1. German citizen living in Germany needs ID card, but passport not compulsory since he might not wish to travel abroad
2. German citizen living outside Germany (German expat) needs only passport and no longer requires national ID card
3. Other expat living in Germany needs only passport (especially if, as in my case, UK only has passports but no ID cards)
Old May 6, 2016, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
Correct me if I'm wrong:

1. German citizen living in Germany needs ID card, but passport not compulsory since he might not wish to travel abroad
2. German citizen living outside Germany (German expat) needs only passport and no longer requires national ID card
3. Other expat living in Germany needs only passport (especially if, as in my case, UK only has passports but no ID cards)
1. Correct

2. Incorrect. He may wish to have a passport, but he isn't obligated to have one. Until quite recently, he could not have had an ID living outside Germany. Now he can.

3. Not quite. You need to be able to identify yourself (you don't need to have a passport to do this but it's the logical document). An ID card (and several other forms) would also suffice.
Old May 6, 2016, 11:20 am
qpr

ID is for me both - ID card or passport.
Old May 6, 2016, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by qpr
These fines are an urban myth. It is true that German citizens have to have a valid ID at any point, but fines if passport and ID card are both expired, are typically not enforced.
Old May 6, 2016, 4:28 pm
Suspended

It's a bit circular, since pretty much all Germans need to have a 'Perso' anyway for any number of things.
Old May 6, 2016, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
It's a bit circular, since pretty much all Germans need to have a 'Perso' anyway for any number of things.
You don't need to have an ID card (perso) if you have a passport.
Old May 6, 2016, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
Correct me if I'm wrong:

1. Incorrect.

You either need an ID card or a passport.
Old May 7, 2016, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You don't need to have an ID card (perso) if you have a passport.
It's correct that Germans should not let both ID card (Personalausweis) and passport expire at the same time, but there is typically no fine if both are expired.

The only situation, I can think of, other than travel, where either will be required, is to open a bank account. In all other situations, a diver's license will be sufficient identification. German driver's licenses don't expire.
Old May 7, 2016, 2:58 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Alex71
These fines are an urban myth.
BS. The fines exist. The legislator allows local authorities to enforce fines (up to 5,000€). But tell me: What major or city council is crazy enough to do that? The municipalities that fine their residents usually fine no more than a few hundred euros and only in extreme cases.

German driver's licenses don't expire.
Yes they do. The new driving licenses do expire every ten or fifteen (?) years or so. Your license won't be revoked. It's just a question of getting a new piece of plastic with an up-to-date picture. The old ones have to be exchanged somewhere in the future (I believe around 2030).
Old May 7, 2016, 3:11 am

The only situation, I can think of, other than travel, where either will be required, is to open a bank account. In all other situations, a diver's license will be sufficient identification. German driver's licenses don't expire.
Not sure whether a driving licence would be accepted as sufficient form of identification if making contracts and such with a notary when buying or selling property or forming a limited company for example.
Old May 7, 2016, 4:57 am
Suspended

I do not believe that driving licences are considered satisfactory personal identification in Germany.
Old May 7, 2016, 5:48 am

In all other situations, a diver's license will be sufficient identification.
Well I am definitely sure that wouldn't work (my bold)!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.