Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on Frankfurt?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2016, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kamel123
3 days for Frankfurt is plenty. The city is quite compact, and there are few (if any) world class sights.

I would suggest spending 1 day in Frankfurt, and doing 2 day trips.

In Frankfurt, take a walk along the river Main. Visit the Dom cathedral and the Paulskirche church. If you are at all into art, visit the Städel Museum - very nice collection ranging from medieval to contemporary art.

For day trips, the options mentioned by the posters above make sense. Most of these are easily doable by train, but some are more convenient with a rental car (not sure if you are open to that).

My suggestions would be:

Visit the Rheingau wine region. Go to Eltville. Visit the castle there. Have lunch at a winery (for example, Schloss Johannisberg, or Schloss Vollrads) with a view of the river Rhine. Take a walk through the vineyards. This trip requires a car. It can be easily combined with Wiesbaden.

Visit Cologne. I agree the city is not extremely pretty, but there are a few interesting things to see. There is a high-speed train that only takes 1 hour 10 minutes, so that should be an easy day trip. In Cologne, visit the cathedral. There is a good choice of excellent museums (Ludwig Collection - modern art, Wallraff Richartz museum - medieval art; there is also an archaelogical museum with mainly Roman artefacts).

Hotels in Frankfurt are not that remarkable. Villa Kennedy, Jumeirah, and Hessischer Hof, as mentioned above, typically come up as the best options. If you are lucky, they are bookable for EUR 200.

An alternative would be to stay in the suburbs, either Kronberg (Schlosshotel Kronberg), or Königstein (Villa Rothschild, Kempinski Falkenstein). These are nicely located historical hotels in leafy small towns. I prefer the two latter options. Kempinski Falkenstein has a very nice of the Frankfurt skyline from their terrace/park. Would only choose these hotels though if you are happy renting a car or spending significantly on taxis - they are about 30 minutes outside Frankfurt.
I would endorse all of this.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 12:06 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Frankfurt is very safe so you don't have to worry. The area around the train station is has a bit of harmless (legal) sex trade going on, but it's not unsafe. You don't give an idea on budget, but there are plenty of nice hotels to choose from (Villa Kennedy is probably the nicest, but consider Hessischer Hof or Jumeirah, but there's also Westin, Marriott, Hilton, etc).

Three days is a bit much, but if you have a car you can do day trips to the wine region, Heidelberg, the Black Forest, Rhine Valley, castle route. Frankfurt has great restaurants, by the way...
Not to forget about the Taunus hillside/mountain area just north of Frankfurt.

And do taste the Rindswurst, a lasting memory of Frankfurt Jewish culture in culinary form.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.