Wiki Posts
Search

Park & Ride Munich

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Park & Ride Munich

Booked hotel close to Main station. As there are limitations to drive into the city (environmental sticker) I would like to park car outside the city for several days and take train/subway (direct or with limited changes) to the main station.
any suggestions?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by BinSabai
Booked hotel close to Main station. As there are limitations to drive into the city (environmental sticker) I would like to park car outside the city for several days and take train/subway (direct or with limited changes) to the main station.
any suggestions?
Is enviroment sticker a Problem for you? Will you use a rental car?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Is enviroment sticker a Problem for you? Will you use a rental car?
yes a rental car from outside Germany
Old Aug 31, 2015, 2:30 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Relatively new cars licenced post 1993 with EURO I (like rentals) usually comply with the green sticker.

http://www.tuev-sued.de/auto_fahrzeu...usland/england
Old Aug 31, 2015, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

yes a rental car from outside Germany
It will be qualify for a green sticker and in emergency you can get one. Would ask the rental car Company as many cities Need such a sticker in Germany today. It´s not funny to drive a car without it.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
It will be qualify for a green sticker and in emergency you can get one. Would ask the rental car Company as many cities Need such a sticker in Germany today. It´s not funny to drive a car without it.
I rented at AVIS outside Germany and they have no clue about these green stickers for German cities!
Old Aug 31, 2015, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

I rented at AVIS outside Germany and they have no clue about these green stickers for German cities!
Which Country? Trust me, without it it´s really no fun in Germany these days
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:45 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
In order to get to the EU mandated 25 µg/m3 for particulate matter in cities various EU member states did various things. In Germany the sticker system and zones were devised, Sweden imposed tolls on all vehicles entering the city. The former is far more practical?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:45 am

To get back to the title of Park & Ride options: There are lots of P&R facilities around Munich: http://www.parkundride.de/pr-anlagen.html

I realize it in German but the map at the bottom corner should be enough for you to figure out where they are. I like Kieferngarten as it has indoor parking or Garching Hochbrück as it is particularly calm on the weekends. Both are on the North end of Munich on the blue line of the subway (U6). You'd have to switch trains once: http://www.muenchnerubahn.de/bild/se...llbahn2014.jpg

Never used any of the others but I would guess they are all equally fine. Maybe you can find one where you wouldn't have to switch trains either.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:33 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
The low emission zone (Umweltzone) covers the areas inside the middle ring road (B2R, Mittlerer Ring) only.
http://www.muenchen.de/rathaus/home_..._emission_zone

See map:
http://www.muenchen.de/rathaus/Stadt...mweltzone.html

When you book a hotel outside the ring road (e.g. Arabellapark Sheraton/Westin, many in the North, like Olympic Park), you do not need a sticker.

When you need to look for P+R, there is plently. Maybe you can pick an area convenient to you (where are you coming from, where do you go after Munich?). Larger P+Rs: East: Riem, Messe, Daglfing, Arabellapark (free parking on the main road, Englschalkinger Straße) (all direct to main station); North: Fröttmanning (see post above); South: Ottobrunn area, Perlach (all direct to main station).
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

thanks all for the suggestions.

I used Messestadt Ost park & ride; it is indoors and cheap, 1 Euro for the first day and 3 for the following, while parking in the city center is around 20 Euro. Just a 100 meter walk to subway stationU2. Drive to Main station is a bit long (20+ minutes), but it is direct.
Park & ride is actually usually just for up to 24 hours, exceptions are Messestadt Ost (large exhibition area) and the Allianz Arena (stadium of Bayern Munich)

The "Umweltzone" the area you can only enter with sticker is actually pretty large and my GPS guided me through this area; but the signs are very well visible so I did not enter and drove a different way. Saw several other foreign cars without stickers in the zone. Not sure whether control is very tight but I would not try it!
Old Sep 8, 2015, 4:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If you are renting the car for several days before you need to enter an Umweltzone, you could try for an Umweltplakette from the city of Berlin, who have returned mine within a few days whenever I have applied for one. Cost about €6.
TUV-Nord sell them online as well. I expect they could be persauded to send it to a hotel or similar.

You do need to supply some proof of the car meeting emissions regulations; since I was applying for a German-manufactured car in both cases, I simply sent them the German specifications sheet that came with the car
Old Sep 10, 2015, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flatlander
If you are renting the car for several days before you need to enter an Umweltzone, you could try for an Umweltplakette from the city of Berlin, who have returned mine within a few days whenever I have applied for one. Cost about €6.
TUV-Nord sell them online as well. I expect they could be persauded to send it to a hotel or similar.

You do need to supply some proof of the car meeting emissions regulations; since I was applying for a German-manufactured car in both cases, I simply sent them the German specifications sheet that came with the car
thanks!
for sure I would do that next time when I have more time. But this time I got the info about those requirements 2 days before I arrived in Munich (and I believe many foreigners driving their do not know at all and have to pay the fines if they are caught!)
I think scan of registration certificate of the car is sufficient to apply online

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.