Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Berlin TXL visit

Berlin TXL visit

Old Sep 15, 15, 7:07 am

Programs: LH FTL
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Also guide says cash is king and not many credit cards are accepted, especially Amex. I don't use my Amex but have a chase MC with new chip but no pin. Am I screwed?
MasterCard is, along with Visa, pretty widely accepted in the meantime, but indeed you'll often have to enter your PIN instead of signing the receipt.
Old Sep 15, 15, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
To be honest, it's not that bad with Amex either. It's all I use to pay with, and I'm there a lot. Sure, your local Diner shop won't take it, but that's where you use cash.
Old Sep 15, 15, 8:26 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Mostly my Amex works fine. Of course, you canīt pay at a bakery with credit Card, but mostly credit Cards are accepted. So I disagree with Lonely Planet.

P.S. I read another guide about Germany when I was in the US. So angry I didnīt buy it, as so many things would have been great fun at parties etc. So far away from reality.
Old Sep 17, 15, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by ex-koelner View Post
Quote:

Originally Posted by enviroian

Also guide says cash is king and not many credit cards are accepted, especially Amex. I don't use my Amex but have a chase MC with new chip but no pin. Am I screwed?

MasterCard is, along with Visa, pretty widely accepted in the meantime, but indeed you'll often have to enter your PIN instead of signing the receipt.
Interesting. I'll call Chase in the morning and ask them if they can provide me a PIN while in in TXL.

My PP has no PIN.
Old Sep 17, 15, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Interesting. I'll call Chase in the morning and ask them if they can provide me a PIN while in in TXL.

My PP has no PIN.
They can't issue your card an offline PIN -- they will likely be confused and issue you a PIN for cash advances instead. You'll be fine. (Try entering 0000 as your PIN if you absolutely need one.)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: