Wiki Posts
Search

Customs desk locations airside in FRA?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2015, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Star Gold,Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Customs desk locations airside in FRA?

Are there any Customs desk locations airside in the Frankfurt airport? I need to get the Customs export validation stamp on items that I buy in the EU in order to get a VAT refund. I reside in the US. I will only be in FRA to make a connection (FCO-FRA-SFO), and I only have 2 hours, not enough time to exit the secure area, go to the Customs desks near check-in, then back through passport and security controls.

Why do I think I need the export validation stamp from German Customs and not Italian Customs? Good question, but 2 entire days of reading websites from the EU-based VAT refunding businesses, tripadvisor, Rick Steve's, Flyertalk, all tell me that FCO Customs won't stamp my stuff there because I am hand carrying it and I'm not on a plane Rome-US, I am transferring at FRA.

Why not just put it in my checked luggage at Rome then? Because anything I'd buy would be several thousand Euro, and there's no way I'm putting something like that in my checked luggage!
Old Jul 23, 2015, 3:09 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Assuming you are flying on UA or LH from a Z gate here is a map showing the location of tax refund offices convenient for your departure gate.
http://www.frankfurt-airport.com/con..._z_ansicht.pdf
Old Jul 23, 2015, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Star Gold,Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Assuming you are flying on UA or LH from a Z gate here is a map showing the location of tax refund offices convenient for your departure gate.
http://www.frankfurt-airport.com/con..._z_ansicht.pdf
OK, so the symbol with the eagle symbol and "export confirmation" depicts an actual Customs (Zoll) desk? I don't need just the global Blue or Premier Tax refund office, as I can apply for the refund after I return to the US. I'm primarily interested in the export stamp from the Zoll officials. It seems too good to be true that Zoll would be both airside and landside, but perhaps this is typical German efficiency and contingency planning!
Old Jul 24, 2015, 1:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You don't have to go landside, the customs office airside in FRA is specifically set up for that purpose (and to process pax who were caught with something in their luggage).
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by redwoman
OK, so the symbol with the eagle symbol and "export confirmation" depicts an actual Customs (Zoll) desk?
Yes, itīs the official custom

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.