Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stay a Fri night and a Sat In Frankfurt or head home after a Con

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Stay a Fri night and a Sat In Frankfurt or head home after a Con

I have to Head to Frankfurt for work next month( bad homburg to be specific)
Conference lasts till Fri at 5pm.
I was planning to stay fri and sat night, head home on sunday direct to Boston> i was lookign for ward to spending 2 nights( fri and sat) and a day( sat) possibly delay my flight to sun night and stay sunday as well in Frankfurt.
However I cam across a few travel reviews that Frankfurt isnt that interesting The Dallas of germany more or less( I've been to Dallas and wouldn't really want

to spend a a weekend there in city proper with no car to get around)

Bottom line.. Is frankfurt worh visiting for a weekend for a 30 something guy?
or should I head home straight on fri after the conference

Another scenario.. is there some where I could closely take a train too and spend a good day and a night exploring and then fly out of? I'd rather not spend 8 hrs on a train but for a free 30 plus hours in a foreign country maybe its worth it.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:58 pm

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
You could go to Heidelberg which is about an hour by train from Frankfurt. Fantastic place and you can get a train from there directly to the Frankfurt airport. There is a very nice Marriott there.
Or you can go to Mainz which is closer to Frankfurt - definitely not as impressive as Heidelberg but still much more interesting than Frankfurt.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:25 am

You've travelled all that way for work... you have an opportunity to spend a couple of days exploring Germany without having to pay to get there... you should make the most of that opportunity!

Frankfurt itself isn't all that interesting - just a large commercial centre - but there are plenty of other places nearby that are worth visiting for a week-end. Heidelberg has already been mentioned.... or you could head to the Rhine Valley, or to the Black Forest. All easily done by train.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
There's plenty in the immediate area: Frankfurt, Mainz, Wiesbaden. If you like museums, you can easily spend the time in Frankfurt proper, which has a number of good ones.

The Rhine River valley is close -- can do a cruise, visit wineries, visit castles.

Heidelberg, Koln are close by intercity train.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:37 am

Programs: LH Sen, SPG Platinium, Sixt Platinum
I would stay in Frankfurt!

You can have a lot of fun there... the weather should be ok, so you can go to the river or parks. If you are interested in museums, there is no other city with such an amount of museums compared to people who are living in the city in Germany.

If you want have fun, the bar and restaurant scene is excellent. To be honest, the club scene has suffered a bit, but there are still some good ones... If you tell me you preferences, I can be a bit more precisely.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It really depends on what you are after, but I strongly agree with Aviatrix. You've travelled to Europe, on company dime, and have the opportunity to get out and look around a bit. It's the ideal setup! August is likely to be warm and sunny in the area, so read up a bit on what there is to do and make plans. Museums are fine, but in August you may want to do outdoorsy things. Heidelberg is nice (a bit touristy at times), the Rhine valley is breathtaking (boat tour?) and there are wineries galore to the west of Frankfurt. If you like driving you could rent a car and drive the famous Schwarzwaldhochstrasse, a bendy road that climbs the ridge of the Black Forest and is extremely popular with motorcyclists and the like.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 1:25 pm

Most people who say Frankfurt is boring/ugly never went anywhere besides the Zeil/Römer/train station area. All of the above-mentioned places are certainly worth going but there is lots of stuff to do and see in Frankfurt especially in the summer.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cathaana
Most people who say Frankfurt is boring/ugly never went anywhere besides the Zeil/Römer/train station area. All of the above-mentioned places are certainly worth going but there is lots of stuff to do and see in Frankfurt especially in the summer.
This is true, and the countryside around Frankfurt, the Taunus, is beautiful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.