Search

Parking in Munich during Oktoberfest

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity
Question Parking in Munich during Oktoberfest

Hi all,

I'm thinking of visiting Munich on Friday, October 3 this year, though not for the Oktoberfest. I want to visit the Altstadt to look at the architecture.

I will be driving from the Lake Constance region and will have about 3-4 hours in Munich before I have to leave and head off elsewhere.

Bearing in mind that the Oktoberfest is on, will there be a major problem obtaining a parking spot in a parking station? Haven't been able to find much info on locations of parking stations. Any suggestions where would be the best place to park to visit the Altstadt?

Or would it be better to park at a railway station and catch a train to the centre of town, bearing in mind I only have limited time for the visit?

I visited Germany in 2011 and missed out on seeing Munich, hence would like to see it this time as I'm not sure when I will be visiting Germany next.

Thanks.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 2:43 am

Programs: UA, LH, AS, AB
I'd park near a U3, U4, U5, or U6 station and take the subway. Those lines have a stop near the grounds.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Blue, Sixt Platinum, HH Gold
As WaxComb says, U-bahn stations are the best plan here. Munich is very busy during Oktoberfest.

Park at one of the ones with a dedicated car park, and catch the U or S-bahn into the centre.

Here's the map: http://www.mvg-mobil.de/netzplaene/i...hnnetzplan.pdf

The stations marked P+R are the ones you're looking for. ^
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: AA PLT
I think WaxComb misread your post, as those are the lines that do have stops near the Wiesn. Not to say you couldn't use those, but they may be a bit more crowded than the ones that do not.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
October 3 is public holiday. So the shops are closed as well as not too many people go to work. However, on the other hand expect lots of visitors for the Octoberfest.

It really comes down to where you are heading next. Best option would be to park outside the city and go to the Altstadt by public transportation. Every S-Bahn and almost every U-Bahn is crossing the Altstadt. So, I would recommend to pick any location that allows you easy access when coming and easy leaving when going.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 5:03 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck
October 3 is public holiday. So the shops are closed as well as not too many people go to work. However, on the other hand expect lots of visitors for the Octoberfest.
The last weekend is usually not that busy...
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies.

I will be coming in along Ammerseestrasse and leaving in the direction of Starnberg.

Heimeranplatz P+R appears to be a good option with numerous services passing through there. However, looking at a satpic, I can't seem to see where the carpark is. Also may be a bit tricky to get to from the Ammerseestrasse. Any thoughts?

Westkreuz & Solln P+R may be other options although travel times are a bit longer. With limited time for walking around, I want to minimise the time spent travelling from the parking place to the centre.

Any thoughts, particularly from someone who is familiar with Munich, would be most welcome.

Cheers.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 3:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Heimeranpl P+R details are here, including a map: http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/static_pa...atz/index.html
Old May 1, 2014, 7:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don't understand most of the replies here. The OP wants to park near the old town and not go to the Wiesn, so why tell him to take a U- or S-Bahn?

There is plenty of parking near the old town, for example behind the Kempinski Vier Jahreszeiten on Maximiliansstrasse, or on the small square near the Mandarin Oriental. As in most places in Europe, parking garages are identified by a large white P in a blue square/circle. The place near the MO is actually a huge garage in an older building. Oktoberfest takes place on the Wiesn, which is a considerable distance from where you are, so while you'll doubtless encounter people in a jolly mood, you won't be fighting Oktoberfest traffic.
Old May 1, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I don't understand most of the replies here. The OP wants to park near the old town and not go to the Wiesn, so why tell him to take a U- or S-Bahn?
From the OP:

Or would it be better to park at a railway station and catch a train to the centre of town, bearing in mind I only have limited time for the visit?
He doesn't want to risk getting stuck in traffic and wasting the little time he has to see the Altstadt, hence the P+R suggestions.
Old May 2, 2014, 2:11 am
Suspended

There should be no problem driving in. I have done it for many years. If he stays away from the Wiesn there are no real traffic issues (even around the Wiesn it's no big deal).
Old May 4, 2014, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all your thoughts.

Yes, it is a bit of a tossup between park at railway station & catch public transport or drive to a parking station nearer to one's destination & run the risk of traffic holdups not to mention having to find a parking station in the first place. Having said that, I had no trouble finding a parking station near the city centre when I visited Dresden in 2011.

I think I'll probably try and park at the Heineranplatz P+R & catch public transport to Marienplatz. Will be easier to exit Munich after I return from the city centre.

Cheers.
Old May 5, 2014, 5:14 am
Suspended

I still think your most convenient option is the Parkhaus on Neuturmstrasse. There will be very little traffic in Munich that day.
Old May 12, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: Compulsory Traveller
Heimeranplatz is pretty close to Oktoberfest, thus could be crowded and not that easy to navigate. I completely disagree with LondonElite - Oct 3 is a public holiday, so there's a good chance of quite some holiday traffic especially on the Mittlerer Ring (ring road) in addition to the chaos of Oktoberfest.

My advice: steer clear of the city - park at the Klinikum Grosshadern P+R, easy to navigate, close to A96 (Ammerseestrasse) and perfect for heading out towards Starnberg. 17 mins to the city centre by subway. Doesn't get easier than that.

http://www.parkundride.de/klinikum-grosshadern.html
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Some feedback.

We ended up parking at the Klinikum Grosshadern P+R and caught the train. Train did get packed closer to the centre of town and it was good to see people dressed up for the Oktoberfest.

Had no problems heading out of town from that location either, so it was a good suggestion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.