Search

Need help with itinerary traveling through Germany

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:34 am
mav

Programs: Hilton, marriott, IHG, Club Carlson, United Airlines,timeshare owner
Originally Posted by mfeldman1969
Mav,

Thank you. I will look into your suggestions. My itinerary has change a little since the last post. All of my accommodations are set. What is still pending is places we visit (on day trips). I have 2 days to spend at Lake Constance. I am not sure which I should cover. Bregenz is one. Still figuring out the 2nd.

Here is my latest:

July 29- Aug 1
Spend 3 nights in Rothenburg
Würzburg

Aug 1
Rothenburg - > Ulm (drive: 1.5 hours, 5 hours in Ulm)
Ulm -> Munich (drive: 1.5 hours)

Munich (Aug 1 - Aug 10 - 9 nights)
Day trips from Munich:
Dachau
Berchtesgaden
Salzburg, Austria
Hallstatt, Austria
Innsbruck, Austria

Aug 10
Munich -> Füssen (drive: 1.5 hours, spend: 4 hours in Neuschwanstein Castle, Spend: 4 hours in Füssen)
Spend the night in Füssen

Aug 11
Füssen -> Alatsee (spend: 5 hours in Alatsee)
Alatsee -> Hittisau Austria(Drive: 1 hour)

Hittisau (Aug 11 - Aug 14 - 3 nights)
Visit 2 of the following: (Lindau, Reichenau, Mainau, Meersburg, Unteruhldingen, Friedrichshafen, Bregenz)

Aug 14th
Hittisau -> Hohenzollern Castle (drive: 1.5 hour, spend: 4 hours at castle)
Hohenzollern Castle -> Strasbourg (drive: 2 hours)

Aug 14th - 17
Strasbourg, France
Colmar, France

Hello Mike,
It sounds like a wonderful trip. Petite Venice in Colmar France is exqusite.
In Berschtesgaden take this Eagles Nest tour http://www.eagles-nest-historical-to...ex.php?navid=2 It is a tour you won't forget!
I know you will have an amazing trip! The BIG trouble I found with Bavaria in the summer is now I can't stay away!
Old Mar 22, 2014, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by mfeldman1969
Thanks FLYMSY, that's great insight.
Reason for Hittisau:
Since we are spending almost 3 weeks in Germany we will be visiting many beautiful towns and villages. My family and I decided we wanted to stay few days in an Austrian farm with locally made cheese and other products. We wanted to milk the cows, etc.
I found Hittisau farm with availability for us (we are also traveling with a dog).
Our friend lived in Sibratsfall for few days and loved it.
99% of the farms are already booked.

One fact: Our places to stay are already committed. Now we are trying to organize where to go and how to make best use of our stay.
While we are in the region we definitely want to see the floating stage.

So how should I plan?

Mike
O.K., I understand now.

I would spend one day in Bregenz visiting the lake (& the stage) and I think, one of the best things, going up Pfänder mountain on the cable car (Pfänderbahn). The view is spectacular. They have some restaurants on the mountain where you can have something to eat and/or drink.

If you like to walk/hike, I would strongly suggest the Rappenlochschlucht near Dornbirn on a second day. It's a really beautiful walk along a gorge with a rushing river and some falls. It's not too strenuous.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 11:17 am
Original Poster

FLYMSY - PERFECT! Thanks. Rappenlochschlucht looks awesome and we don't mind a little hike.

Now... After all of that 1 Day Hittisau - just enjoying the farm, 1 day Bregenz and the cable car, 1 day Rappenlochschlucht, we are on the way to Strasbourg.

Question - On the way to Strasbourg we were going to stop by the Hohenzollern Castle.

Is it worth it? - since we will be visiting Neuschwanstein castle prior or should we cover 1 or 2 more places along lake Constance?
like Lindau, Reichenau, Mainau, Meersburg, Unteruhldingen
Old Mar 22, 2014, 9:06 pm

I have not been to Hohenzollern Castle, so i can't comment if it would be worth seeing.

Of the alternate villages that you have mentioned, while there is something interesting about all of them, I would probably choose either Lindau or Meersburg. Also, I think that you are being a little optimistic about your driving time between Hittisau and Strasbourg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.