Community
Wiki Posts
Search

10 hour layover in Frankfurt (FRA)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2013, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

10 hour layover in Frankfurt (FRA)

what should I do? Anyone have tips for not dying of boredom in the airport?

is that enough time to do anything in Frankfurt? I'm only going to have a carry on suitcase with me- no checked bags
Old Apr 28, 2013, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Lufthansa runs a bus from the Frankfurt Airport to college town of Heidelberg. Takes about one hour each way. Great old town and castle. With a ten hour layover, you'll have plenty of time to explore the city and University of Heidelberg.

Here's a link to the Lufthansa bus schedule:

http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...d=3163691&l=en
Old Apr 28, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by thetobster12345
what should I do? Anyone have tips for not dying of boredom in the airport?
Yes. Leave the airport.

There are multiple threads on what to do in the city and surrounding areas, all of which are better that spending 10 hours there. There is a temporary bag storage area on the ground floor of Terminal One, IIRC center mass of the building.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 8:24 pm

This reminds me of the last time I had a connection in Frankfurt. I did not know how BIG the airport was, so I thought 1:30 hrs of layover was fine. As luck would have it, my original flight was delayed, giving me only 30 minutes at Frankfurt to go through an incredibly long and disorganized security line to get to the next gate. Of course, I missed the flight and had to spend the night in the airport. Oh, what a miserable experience.

10 hrs layover is long indeed, but be sure you factor in the time you'll need to go through the security line and get from one gate to the next. Remember, this airport is HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!! You probably will not have enough time to get out of the airport to do any sightseeing.

I now avoid flights that connect through Frankfurt.

Good luck.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 2:21 am

Programs: *A Gold, IHG Rewards Diamond Amb, Radisson Gold
In my opinion, Mainz and Wiesbaden are more interesting, while being as much convenient as Frankfurt for long layover. Day ticket is just €8.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
A lot of information in the Germany forum where this thread should probably be moved.
Take your pick. "FRA layover" =:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germa...ht=FRA+layover
Old Apr 30, 2013, 11:08 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
If you like airplane spotting A gates provide a fantastic runways view, with the closer encounter with a wheel up A380/747 in the world.
Then, of course, after 10 hrs you could be able to write down the whole schedule of FRA.
Apart the new A+ pier, the airport lies in very poor conditions, with indecently priced food offer. Without lounge access, you better head out for a walk.
Old May 17, 2013, 5:54 am

Programs: United
I also have a 10 hour layover @ FRA this summer and plan to go out of the airport. I am *A Gold and was wondering if I will be able to access the lounge (as departure lounge) before I clear immigration and head out to the city.
Old May 21, 2013, 12:29 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by opusone
I also have a 10 hour layover @ FRA this summer and plan to go out of the airport. I am *A Gold and was wondering if I will be able to access the lounge (as departure lounge) before I clear immigration and head out to the city.
If you have a same-day departing BP for a *A flight, there should be no problem visiting a lounge before clearing passport control and going into the city. Depending on where your flight arrives you may have to clear transfer security before visiting a lounge.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 4:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan, TD.
11 hour layover in Frankfurt where to go?

We have an 11 layover and would like to leave the airport. Where do you suggest to go that"s close to the airport to experience some local culture and have a good lunch along with some good beer and window shopping for the wife? Somewhere that's true German.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 4:40 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Ramz
We have an 11 layover and would like to leave the airport. Where do you suggest to go that"s close to the airport to experience some local culture and have a good lunch along with some good beer and window shopping for the wife? Somewhere that's true German.
Take a train to the centre of Frankfurt. Easy as A, B, C...
Old Apr 5, 2015, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by vbroucek
Take a train to the centre of Frankfurt. Easy as A, B, C...
What stop do we get off at?
Old Apr 5, 2015, 5:45 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Ramz
What stop do we get off at?
Go to the Regional station, buy a day ticket for € 8,85 and get on the regional train or S-Bahn going into Frankfurt.

Be careful not to go to the mainline station (further away from the terminal) and get on the ICE train which would cost twice as much, only goes as far as the main railway station and it isn't really any quicker

Suggest you stay on the S-Bahn until Hauptwache which would put you in the middle of town. Think it's the fifth stop.

Buying the day ticket will mean that you can use any other form of public transport in the city throughout the day and to get back to the airport.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 6:02 am

Programs: UA-Plat, United Club
11 hour layover in Frankfurt where to go?

my wife and i just had a 10hr layover two weeks ago and wandered around Wiesbaden and Mainz (seemed a popular recommendation on these boards). it was easy to do on the S8/S9 and we had a nice afternoon just strolling about.

dan
Old Apr 5, 2015, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by raybolt
my wife and i just had a 10hr layover two weeks ago and wandered around Wiesbaden and Mainz (seemed a popular recommendation on these boards). it was easy to do on the S8/S9 and we had a nice afternoon just strolling about.

dan
Thanks I heard about Mainz as well, can't decide between Frankfurt or Mainz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.