Wiki Posts
Search

Train-Restaurant in Mainz

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2012, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Train-Restaurant in Mainz

Hi,
I have layover in FRA for 8 hrs (Tuesday). I am planning to go to Mainz. Can I buy round trip ticket at Frankfurt Airport station? In case I can do it, does the ticket has the certain date and time on for return ticket? Just in case I miss the train can I use return train ticket in different time at the same day.

I saw from the other website said I should get off at Mainz Romisches Theater because it is closer to Mainz Center. When I look at the google map. There is the caution for walking like "This route may be missing sidewalks or pedestrian paths." Is it safe to walk from Train station to Mainz Catherdal? I will be alone and arrive there around 8 AM. I plan to walk from Train station to there . Any suggestion?

I would like to try Schweinshaxe for lunch in Mainz. Are there any restaurant serve Schweinshaxe before 10.30 or 11 AM?

Thank you for suggestion and comment.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Travel911
Hi,
I have layover in FRA for 8 hrs (Tuesday). I am planning to go to Mainz. Can I buy round trip ticket at Frankfurt Airport station? In case I can do it, does the ticket has the certain date and time on for return ticket? Just in case I miss the train can I use return train ticket in different time at the same day.

I saw from the other website said I should get off at Mainz Romisches Theater because it is closer to Mainz Center. When I look at the google map. There is the caution for walking like "This route may be missing sidewalks or pedestrian paths." Is it safe to walk from Train station to Mainz Catherdal? I will be alone and arrive there around 8 AM. I plan to walk from Train station to there . Any suggestion?

I would like to try Schweinshaxe for lunch in Mainz. Are there any restaurant serve Schweinshaxe before 10.30 or 11 AM?

Mainz-Roemisches Theater is a 23-minute trip from Frankfurt Airport on the S-Bahn (local, fast commuter train). Tickets can not be bought in advance, only from a ticket machine in the station. The same applies to the trip back to the airport. Generally these tickets must be used on the next train.
Schweinshaxe is more a Bavarian dish, and you might have difficulties finding it in Mainz, but you may just be lucky. I would ask in the information(/tourist?) office in Mainz. It would be a main midday dish, so 10:30 is a bit early.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 2:38 pm

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Diamond, AF/KL & BA basic memberships, Tufty Club Exec Plutonium
Originally Posted by Travel911
Hi,

That's way, way early for lunch. Most places won't open until noon. If you can wait until then, then the Augustinerkeller should do you not too far from Mainz Hbf.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 12:20 am

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, IHG Plat, HH Silver, DB BahnComfort
First of all, you are absolutely right to go to Mainz instead of Frankfurt!! ^

Rather than buying single tickets from FRA to Mainz and reture (€4.10 each), buy a "Tagesticket" (all-day ticket) for that route. The 4-Zone Tagesticket will only cost you €8.00, and it is valid on all S-Bahn and RE trains, as well as on all busses and streetcars in Mainz. So that's the better deal.

Both the Main Station and Römisches Theater Station are in the middle of town. There are sidewalks on all streets - and lots of traffic lights to help you cross. No worries here. Google always puts that warning on a pedestrian itinerary. Try Times Square to Grand Central Station in New York...
Old Jul 11, 2012, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much everyone for all suggestions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.