Long layover in FRA:what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long layover in FRA:what to do?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:37 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I have merged both threads into one thread and deleted double posts.

FLYGVA
co-moderator Germany Forum
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Now that my flights has been changed - I am now going to be in Frankfurt from 6-12 on a Thursday in late Nov. Should we go to Mainz or Frankfurt?

We are also arriving from Singapore and leaving to the US (US Passport holders) - not sure if that will make a difference with customs/immigration...
Old Jul 4, 2012, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Ok, so I think I am a bit clear now-from FRA take S9 to Hauptwache (first I was looking at arriving at Main Train station, but seems like Hauptwache is closer to the city center) Am I correct?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:38 am

Programs: M&M
Originally Posted by Kat007
Ok, so I think I am a bit clear now-from FRA take S9 to Hauptwache (first I was looking at arriving at Main Train station, but seems like Hauptwache is closer to the city center) Am I correct?
Yes, this 100% correct
Old Jul 25, 2012, 6:41 am

Here's a suggestion if you want to see the city-check out Frankfurt on foot tours. We're doing this in a couple of months.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Weekday or Sunday? (This makes a LOT of difference in Germany!)
How does the advice change if it's Sunday? I will have a Sunday to around FRA in late August. (Arriving early Sunday am, first meeting not until Monday).
Old Jul 27, 2012, 5:36 pm
Ambassador

Originally Posted by jg70124
How does the advice change if it's Sunday? I will have a Sunday to around FRA in late August. (Arriving early Sunday am, first meeting not until Monday).
Almost all shops are shut but restaurants and cafes are open so you could head over to Mainz then walk along the river and/or while away the afternoon over coffee and cake.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:55 am

If FRA is where you exit Europe, and you have bought items that incurred VAT: Do allow time to find and submit the VAT refund form. A mini hassle.
The airport is huge.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 4:08 pm

Are you still looking for ideas what to do? There is so much to do in 10 hours in/around Frankfurt, since the airport is so close to town.
However it would considerable help if you would enlight a little about what you are generally interested in and I'm sure I (and others) could give you good ideas. Are you into museums, aviation things, Architecture, food, etc?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 4:18 am

Red light district.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 8:52 pm

I'm tagging on to this thread--currently looking at a points itinerary that would get us into FRA at 4.30pm on a Sunday, leaving at 10.30am on the Monday morning. We are a family of three with one small child (3yo). We'd pretty much only have time for dinner and maybe a dip in the hotel pool in the morning, but we are keen to get into Frankfurt proper and it sounds like it's an easy trip from the airport.

Suggestions for restaurants/things to do/places to stay? Starwood hotels preferred, since we have points there!
Old Sep 4, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
Originally Posted by Anna Phor
I'm tagging on to this thread--currently looking at a points itinerary that would get us into FRA at 4.30pm on a Sunday, leaving at 10.30am on the Monday morning. We are a family of three with one small child (3yo). We'd pretty much only have time for dinner and maybe a dip in the hotel pool in the morning, but we are keen to get into Frankfurt proper and it sounds like it's an easy trip from the airport.

Suggestions for restaurants/things to do/places to stay? Starwood hotels preferred, since we have points there!
Regarding Hotels, the Grand Westin Frankfurt is at a great location just off a major shopping (walking) street. Although on Sunday, all stores are closed. It's starting to show it's age and I'm not sure if they have a pool. My favorite is the Sheraton at the Airport. Makes it easy to get to the airport in the morning and you can take the SBahn into the city from there. No pool though. If you don't have status for a Club Level room, and are paying with points, pay the extra 1,000 points and get a club level room. Their club rooms are in a different wing and much nicer then the standard rooms.

Last edited by Uh Clem; Sep 4, 2012 at 1:32 pm
Old Sep 18, 2012, 7:42 am

Programs: DL SM, Amex Membership Rewards
check out old Sachsenhausen :-:
Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:49 am

10 hours layover in FRA on Saturday morning. Any car enthusiast ideas?

Hi folks
I found this thread about layover in FRA.
I'm arriving on Saturday morning ~8:00 to FRA and would like to go out of the airport.
I love cars and nature. I'm less interested in food and drinking
What activities/places would you recommend to me?

Thanks a million in advance
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
For car enthusiasts, there would be the Opel factory in Rüsselsheim, which is just 15km from the airport. However factory tours are only open Monday to Friday.

If you love nature, grab a cab and let them drop you off at the "Schwanheimer Duene", which is 5km to the north of the airport. See this wikipedia article (in German) to learn more about this. Alternatively, take bus 58 in the direction of "Eschborn West" to the stop "Höchster Markt" and then bus 51 in the direction of " Trift-/Frauenhofstraße" until the stop "Alter Friedhof Schwanheim". From there it is just a short 10 minute walk. On your way back, stop in Frankfurt-Hoechst and grab something to eat in the old town around the "Hoechster Schloss".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.