Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Neuschwanstein tips?

Neuschwanstein tips?

Old Mar 29, 11, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: no status
Neuschwanstein tips?

We are on a Germany vacation and within driving distance (maybe 2.5h) of Neuschwanstein. What is the best way to make the best of a day trip there in late March/early April? When should we plan on arriving, getting tickets, anything else to see and do etc?
Old Mar 30, 11, 5:56 am

At this time of year the crowds are not bad, if you arrive by mid-morning you will be fine. You park and buy your tickets at the base of the hill, and when you buy your ticket you can specify the tour starting time. You can walk up the hill to the castle in about 15-20 minutes, or you can pay to ride to the top in a horse-drawn carriage. There are any number of cafes at the base of the hill, and another one just before you get to the castle. Spending 60-90 minutes in the castle area is more than enough to see everything. Make sure you hike along the path to the bridge over the gorge that gives you a great view of the castle. Although certainly a very touristy place, its worth a visit nevertheless. Enjoy.

Last edited by 53flyer; Apr 1, 11 at 2:13 am
Old Mar 30, 11, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS MVPG 75K, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
Up-post said it all.
I am sure you know plenty info online as well, such as, but not limited to:
http://www.hohenschwangau.de/index.php?id=430

If you want additional places to visit, try check out online these:
Oberammergau, Ettal and Linderhof, not necessarily in that sequence. Linderhof would be worth at least 2 hours.
I have done all of them on a day-trip (driving, I mean). Beautiful destinations. You might wish to start the day early, since day light hours are limited.
Old Mar 31, 11, 4:35 pm

When do you want to go? Not a problem at all this time of the year - any time should be fine.

keep in mind easter vacation starts 18 April. Until 30 April u maybe wanna get there in the morning.
Old Mar 31, 11, 4:40 pm

another thing - they only sell tickets for specific tours now - so you can buy your ticket (which is usually 90 Minutes later) so you have enough time to walk up, hang out or whatever. in the past you just bought a ticket and got in the line. especially in the high season you sometimes waited for hours. but today everything is relaxed. i think you can also prebook online here
https://www.hohenschwangau.de/?id=378
Old Apr 1, 11, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Thankas for all the suggestions. I still have this and next weekend, and the week in between. Is there any difference between Sundays and weekdays in terms of demand and services available (e.g. closed stores, restaurants)
Old Apr 1, 11, 4:40 am
uk1
Suspended

Hi,

This sounds like an odd suggestion ......

If you're an atmosphere sort of person ...... my tip is to hang back and try and (without bringing attention to yourself) try and be the last person leaving each room and then when everyone has left, steal surreptitously back to the previous room for a moment or two. The groups can be a bit of a bustle with all the jabbering and everything. The main (music?) room at the top which looks out through the colonnades to the surrounding countryside is particularly atmospheric and a few moments in this wonderful room by yourself will be memorable.

Remember that the castle is still brand new as Ludwig didn't occupy it properly before his untimely "death". So it's a stunning experience.

Enjoy your visit.
Old Apr 6, 11, 11:08 am
Original Poster

My TomTom indicates the drive to Schwangau will take 3.5h so there may not be too much time to add additional destinations. However, I noticed that the Zugspitze was listed among the nearby POIs. How long would a roundtrip up and down the Zugspitze take using the various gondolas (zahradbahn etc)?
Old Apr 7, 11, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Merlin666 View Post
My TomTom indicates the drive to Schwangau will take 3.5h so there may not be too much time to add additional destinations. However, I noticed that the Zugspitze was listed among the nearby POIs. How long would a roundtrip up and down the Zugspitze take using the various gondolas (zahradbahn etc)?
in case you really want to do that i would suggest and drive to ehrwald in austria and go up from there. From Füssen around 40km = 40 Minutes.
If you want to do the Zahnradbahn it's 60km and about an extra hour.
Old Sep 14, 11, 11:47 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN CP
I'm planning on going to the castle in October, mostly because a friend of mine traveling with me has been wanting to go there for years. I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for hotels or B&Bs nearby under 150 euro (or so) for a double.

Mandatory: Toilet/shower ensuite, ability to get breakfast
Big plus: Awesome views, breakfast included
Old Sep 14, 11, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Please keep in mind the the slope up the hill is VERY STEEP. While there is a horse drawn carriage, allow for delays depending on number of tourists needing ride.
Old Sep 14, 11, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA, DL Silver, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
There is also a bus service that will take you up and down the hill. I went in September, arrived at the ticket place at ~1300 and got a ticket for the 1610 tour. If taking the bus, ensure you leave enough time to walk from the bus stop to the castle (about 15 minutes).
Old Sep 15, 11, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by 1st Cav Vet View Post
Please keep in mind the the slope up the hill is VERY STEEP. While there is a horse drawn carriage, allow for delays depending on number of tourists needing ride.
It is also rather nice to walk up. I fund it to be rather pleasant. Just make sure to allow enough time.
Old Sep 15, 11, 1:27 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by 1st Cav Vet View Post
Don't sit directly behind the horse.
Old Sep 15, 11, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
We went in October a few years ago. The trees were changing color and were absolutely gorgeous. We had a car so we stayed in one of the guesthouses in the village of Hohenschwangau; I think it was the Hotel Mueller. We did not have a reservation but had no problems getting a room with breakfast at a very reasonable rate - since it was the shoulder season.

If you really want to splurge, you might consider the Hotel Rubezahl near Fussen. We were able to stay two nights in one of the apartments at a really discounted rate by not making an advance reservation and just asking about availability at the reception desk The website is www.hotelruebezahl.de We had a balcony with a view of the schloss; it was amazing in the moonlight. Our rate included breakfast. They also offer spa services at an additional cost.

Search this Thread