Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2011, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Three days in Dus

Anyone got any food/entertainment recommendations for the evening

Thanks
Old Mar 22, 2011, 8:15 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Hi rmcy. We have a dedicated Germany forum in the Travel&Dining Section. I asked a moderator to move your thread there so more people will read it and you get a higher chance of a reply.

Also you want to look in the Germany forum and search a little bit.

In general the Old Town in Düsseldorf has a lot of pubs, bars and restaurants. You might want to try on of the traditional Altbier-Kneipen. An alternative are the Asian and Japanese restaurants in Düsseldorf which are pretty good since Düsseldorf has one of the largest Japanese populations in Europe.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. Googled the old town ...looks great.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

....and over to the Germany forum.

Swanhunter
Moderator Trip Reports
Old Mar 23, 2011, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
What in particular are you looking for? Düsseldorf is a city with plenty of offerings - food and entertainmentwise. And even if I while living in Düsseldorf are prohibited to propose: Spend one of your three days in Cologne (Köln) which is 20 minutes away by train.
Old May 25, 2011, 1:06 am

Programs: UA, Mariott, Accor
Originally Posted by caspritz78
Hi rmcy.
In general the Old Town in Düsseldorf has a lot of pubs, bars and restaurants. You might want to try on of the traditional Altbier-Kneipen. An alternative are the Asian and Japanese restaurants in Düsseldorf which are pretty good since Düsseldorf has one of the largest Japanese populations in Europe.
+1
Also, DUS has one of the largest convention centers in Europe hosting many different international industries. As a result, there are tons of excellent ethnic restaurants aside from German and Japanese. Zum Uerige (Heinrich-Heine Allee I think) is decent place to start.

Re the Altbierkneipen, the glasses are deceptively small, and they keep bringing them and marking a hash on your Beirdeckle until you put the Deckle on top of your empty glass. I had a way too may "last beers" one night until my brother explained this to me
Old May 25, 2011, 5:24 am

Programs: BMI Gold, KL/AF Gold, IC Ambassador
I can recommend the "Fuechschen". We have been there during the DUS Do last week and the food was very good.
Try "Rheinischer Sauerbraten"
Old May 25, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Current favourite Japanese in Ddorf is BrickNY/ Cafe Relax on the Immermannstrasse. A laid back, "hipster" style Japanese bistro with bento sets and homemade cakes for lunch and light "Izakaya" dishes and a nice assortment of Japanese and Europan drinks in the evenings.

http://www.brickny.com/relax_ja.html
Old May 27, 2011, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mosburger
Current favourite Japanese in Ddorf is BrickNY/ Cafe Relax on the Immermannstrasse. A laid back, "hipster" style Japanese bistro with bento sets and homemade cakes for lunch and light "Izakaya" dishes and a nice assortment of Japanese and Europan drinks in the evenings.

http://www.brickny.com/relax_ja.html
The best Sushi place in Düsseldorf is to my humble opinion this place:

http://www.maruyasu.de/
Old May 27, 2011, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
The best Sushi place in Düsseldorf is to my humble opinion this place:

http://www.maruyasu.de/
Yes, Maruyasu still seems quite good for a takeway to the office or hotel and the price/quality ratio reasonable. It is reassuring to see Japanese obasan or aunties behind the counter as a guarantee for home style taste.

Also a very nice looking Korean noodle joint on the Klosterstrasse, just next door to the old noodle stalwart Naniwa. Was full of Japanese customers when I passed by on a late March visit.

On the other hand, nowadays I tend to enjoy a nice Senfrostbraten more on those all too rare Rhineland visits...Eating Asian food anyway three times a day for most of the year. Is the En de Canon still good for that or any other suggestions?
Old May 28, 2011, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mosburger
Is the En de Canon still good for that or any other suggestions?
If you are into Senfrostbraten or Rouladen, sure.
Old May 29, 2011, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
If you are into Senfrostbraten or Rouladen, sure.
Thank you for the thumbs up, FL! Wouldn't mind a good Sauerbraten as well...

As for Asian home style food, the Korean Arirang near Dusseldorf Main Station does really passable versions of local favourites. All Korean guests I've taken there have been rather happy. Miles ahead of most other places in Germany.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 8:03 am

Programs: SPG Gold, A-Club PLATINUM, HHonors Gold, GPP-Gold, BWR-Diamond, PCR PLAT, *Wood P
I think if you like the typical german "Hausmannskost" you should go for one of the famous breweries in "Old Town" such as "Uerige", "Schumacher", "Zum Schlüssel" or even "Füchschen".

If you like fish you have 2 opportonities - first one is aside the "Uerige" - 2nd one which I'd prefer for sunshiny days is at the river bank "Gosch"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.