FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Germany (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany-626/)
-   -   Nudity in Germany's hotels wellness areas : why ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany/1181651-nudity-germanys-hotels-wellness-areas-why.html)

Alsacienne Feb 15, 2011 3:49 pm

And for "Alsacienne", asking "why ?" never implied that I judge the practise as bad or good. It just means that I am curious about it.
Glad you clarified this ....... so many of the local expats preface their opinions (usually negative) about cultural matters with the word WHY?!!

HobokenFlyer Feb 17, 2011 5:01 pm

I would like to point out that it is not just the sauna in Germany. I was in the Hyatt in Cologne and they have a pool. The locker room and shower facilities of this Hyatt were CO-ED and there was a full naked women showering with a naked man in the locker room (the sauna and steam were in this area). The pool was textile though.

I have been to a therme outside Nuernberg and was exposed to the naked sauna and the co-ed locker room (with stalls if you wanted to change in private); but most of the people (men and women) were changing out in the open. Most of the people who used the stalls were families where young children were a little shy.

So, now I expect in Germany that you may be exposed to co-ed changing facilities more often than not.

SunshineStay Feb 18, 2011 3:16 am

Originally Posted by HobokenFlyer (Post 15885174)
I would like to point out that it is not just the sauna in Germany. I was in the Hyatt in Cologne and they have a pool. The locker room and shower facilities of this Hyatt were CO-ED and there was a full naked women showering with a naked man in the locker room (the sauna and steam were in this area). The pool was textile though.

That is unusual even in Germany. In all the German hotels that I have stayed at, there are always separate locker rooms for women and men.

SoccerJock Feb 18, 2011 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by RussianTexan (Post 15829294)
I am totally putting a sauna on my to-do list for Germany. Wow, didn't even think about it. This is gonna be great!

+1. :p

jbart74 Feb 18, 2011 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by HobokenFlyer (Post 15885174)

I have been to a therme outside Nuernberg and was exposed to the naked sauna and the co-ed locker room (with stalls if you wanted to change in private); but most of the people (men and women) were changing out in the open. Most of the people who used the stalls were families where young children were a little shy.

So, now I expect in Germany that you may be exposed to co-ed changing facilities more often than not.

I thoroughly enjoyed my first experience in a naked spa situation at Casa Velas Boutique Hotel this past year. Showering and saunaing with just men in a clothing optional situation was new to me as an born an bred American. I know that if I had the desire, I would have been able to do the same with my 'wife' or 'girlfriend' and then who knows from there. As a gay man, I happened to be enjoying the spa services with some men we met beforehand and had no problem with the nudity aspect, as it was actually a little intriguing and invigorating for all of us. There was no partner swapping or anything like that, it was just nice to be free and accepted in every way.

Indultiomarus Feb 24, 2011 8:59 pm

I think the question here should be "Why do Americans get so hung up about this"

nnn Feb 25, 2011 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by rotanes (Post 15838931)
Welcome to german saunas! Hopefully your visit will be helpful in dropping the average age of sauna visitors below the current 70+ level....

:D

Koby Feb 26, 2011 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Indultiomarus (Post 15928327)
I think the question here should be "Why do Americans get so hung up about this"

+1 ^

fastflyer Feb 26, 2011 12:47 pm

Why do you think the OP is American?

MatthewLAX Feb 26, 2011 4:34 pm

:td: Did you read the OP's location?

ItaliaExec Feb 3, 2016 10:55 am

I do business in Germany every year. Germans/Ukraine/Russians are open about Nudity in spas. (...) The Cologne spas are amazing.

Ber2dca Feb 6, 2016 12:11 pm

My theory was always that they think it deters perverts. They figure a pervert who'd get 'excited' by the nudity would be put off by the fact that his 'excitement' might be clearly visible. Or to put it in a broader context - they feel nudity as a communally shared element is asexual and 'pure' whereas the presence of a clothed person introduces an element of shame and sexual friction.

There's of course a long history of nudism in Germany and ties in with a cultural obsession with the 'natural' (see organic food, anti-nuclear energy movement, popularity of hiking, esoteric movements etc.) that to that extent doesn't exist in the rest of Europe or the 'West'.

NYTA Feb 6, 2016 12:24 pm

There's a whole other thread on this from a while back:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...otel-spas.html

Maybe the moderators could combine?

NYTA Feb 6, 2016 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by mag (Post 15825340)
This is an interesting question.
I kind of never questioned it, as my "education" said when in sauna, go naked.
And I assume that it is enforced in Germany in order to take away the reasons to by shy in case you are shy... if everybody is naked, no reason to be shy.
I always assumed that it is rooted in sauna culture / Finland.

I was in Finland recently and got to talking with a Finnish woman who was telling me she has a traditional "smoke sauna" at home. I asked if she had ever had sex in the sauna and she seemed horrified that I would ask such a question. It's one thing when it's public, but in her own sauna at home? Clearly part of the sauna culture, although she's missing out in my opinion. :rolleyes:

offerendum Feb 7, 2016 3:51 am

Originally Posted by NYTA (Post 26143613)
I was in Finland recently and got to talking with a Finnish woman who was telling me she has a traditional "smoke sauna" at home. I asked if she had ever had sex in the sauna and she seemed horrified that I would ask such a question. It's one thing when it's public, but in her own sauna at home? Clearly part of the sauna culture, although she's missing out in my opinion. :rolleyes:

Funny question..... I donīt use saunas and donīt like nudity. But itīs clearly not a sexual place