Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rail ticket valid on DUS skytrain?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2017, 7:05 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
I have a student NRW ticket so have never had to purchase a ticket. I was quite surprised when I found out that the ticket machines were actually for the Skytrain and not just for those connecting to DB regional trains, however. I always thought it was part of the airport infrastructure, like a free intra-terminal train.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: A3 Silver, BA BLUE, IHG Gold, Hertz President's circle, AY plat
A day pass for the airport viewing terrace is also valid on the Skytrain.
Before these daypasses were cheaper than normal Skytrain tickets iirc

Last edited by fbruno; Jul 10, 2017 at 7:38 am
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Originally Posted by fbruno
A day pass for the airport viewing terrace is also valid on the Skytrain.
Before these daypasses were cheaper than normal Skytrain tickets iirc
However, you can no longer buy tickets for the viewing terrace at the station since the terrace that was once located there has been closed a few years ago.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
This is just to let you know that on my way to the airport tonight I met two young ticket inspectors on the Skytrain, who rigorously controlled everybody's tickets and assured my that the Skytrain was gebührenpflichtig. I told them that I had thought the Skytrain was part of the airport infrastructure, like a shuttle between terminals. I had a VRR Preisstufe B ticket, which is valid on the Skytrain, and I always have this when I go to the airport.

Tip: a bit OT, but in the VRR area of Nordrhein-Westfalen it's worth getting a 10er Ticket which is available for smartphone only. A Preisstufe B 10er Ticket costs EUR44, which (at EUR4.40 a ride) represents quite a saving on the normal single ticket price of EUR5.80. Going to Düsseldorf city would be Preisstufe A, which is a lot cheaper, and you can get a 10 ride ticket for that too. These are valid for one way journeys only, and are valid on the Skytrain in one direction connecting onto/from other train and S-Bahn services.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a quick warning at the moment. The VRR is utterly AWFUL at the moment. It took me 2 1/2 hours to reach Oberhausen the other night. The S1 is closed between Duisburg and Essen. But the whole system seems to be a total mess at the moment. Really, for the times ich bin Schwarz gefahren I have absolutely no guilt: they should be paying me to have to use such a rubbish system. And Germany being Germany, there is no alternative, no airport bus, no tram, just a chronic, English style creaking railroad system.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 3:56 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

There is a major construction done between Duisburg and Essen during the Autumn holidays of North Rhine-Westphalia. I was under the impression, the S1 is running a dertour ... but this is incorrect. Information available only in Germany language is here: Verkehrsverbund Rhein-Ruhr - Totalsperrung Duisburg - Essen
You can go back to Derendorf and try to catch the S-Bahn S6.

The RE1 and RE6 should stop in Essen-Altenessen. There you have connection to the Essen local transportation network and can take the subway / underground to downtown Essen. This is better than "Schienenersatzverkehr" between Duisburg and Essen, especially during peak times.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even despite this, there seems to be a total chaos in the VRR overall. I was out and about on Saturday (did a hiking trail from Kaiserswerth to Krefeld-Linn, amazingly) and getting back to Oberhausen was quite challenging. In fact, I almost jogged the last part of the walk route just to get an earlier train from Krefeld-Linn (one per hour). Took a while to get away from Duisburg Hbf again. There are young, friendly DB staff helpers going about to offer aid with the chaos, which is good.

Going to DUS airport on Wednesday morning (flight at 10h20) I am going to leave absurdly early and just have breakfast in the lounge. As for my annoyed comment about Schwarz fahren, I don’t recommend anybody tries it. The penalties are quite steep and your name is recorded.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Concerto
Just a quick warning at the moment. The VRR is utterly AWFUL at the moment. It took me 2 1/2 hours to reach Oberhausen the other night. The S1 is closed between Duisburg and Essen. But the whole system seems to be a total mess at the moment. Really, for the times ich bin Schwarz gefahren I have absolutely no guilt: they should be paying me to have to use such a rubbish system. And Germany being Germany, there is no alternative, no airport bus, no tram, just a chronic, English style creaking railroad system.
2.5h is just insane. Isn't there usually a direct RE train every 20-30min between the two train stations?

And why would you voluntarily go to Oberhausen in the first place?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is insane and it makes me a bit angry that in many ways Germany is a country that imposes, slightly Soviet style, that you have no choice whatsoever. So you have no choice of an airport bus or other form of transport, just that rubbish VRR system, overpriced by two and a half times what the cost should be. And when the VRR goes down, it goes down. Of course, I could take a taxi, but they are about 50 Euros to Oberhausen. Having said that, yesterday I returned to the airport leaving at stupid o'clock (for a country that pretends to be efficient like Germany) and it deposited me there only 5 minutes late, so I enjoyed breakfast the lounge. And going back to choice, you will NEVERl get a glass of tapwater when you need it in a restaurant or cafe in Germany, EVEN if you buy drinks (don't get me started on this one!).

I suppose one good thing about that daft Preisstufe system in the VRR is that it is also valid on the airport SkyTrain, but that thing should never have a Gebühr, it should be part of the airport infrastructure, like it would be at any normal airport (just trying to pull myself back on topic).

As for Oberhausen, I have my partner there, even though I am away in Switzerland much of the year. The city, like most places in the Ruhrgebiet, has many secret corners if you look a bit deeper. That goes for most of the Ruhrgebiet, as evidenced by the beauty I have found thank to my various hiking books (Rother, Kompass, ADAC, etc.). I think of the Schloss, bridge and canal in Oberhausen, Kettwig by Essen, the Dortmund Zoo area, The Bochum Bermuda Triangle, Mülheim by the Ruhr river, the Duisburg Forest and so on (just to give some ideas).
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:16 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
If you arrive to Dusseldorf by ICE that includes a City-ticket, I would expect this to cover the S-Bahn and the VRR Skytrain. Is that correct ?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Yes, correct
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jasper2009

And why would you voluntarily go to Oberhausen in the first place?
Probilbly because at least 1/10th of the German population resides and is proud to reside in the close proximity of Oberhausen?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:08 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Originally Posted by fransknorge
If you arrive to Dusseldorf by ICE that includes a City-ticket, I would expect this to cover the S-Bahn and the VRR Skytrain. Is that correct ?
It would in mosts cases.

If you however buy a deeply discount Super Sparpreis, this does not include the city option anymore. The regular Sparpreis ticket as well as a fully flexible ticket does include the "City Ticket".

Super Sparpreis does offer you the ability to book a city option, which would be an indicatgion for you, that the "City Ticket" is not included
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLYGVA
It would in mosts cases.

If you however buy a deeply discount Super Sparpreis, this does not include the city option anymore. The regular Sparpreis ticket as well as a fully flexible ticket does include the "City Ticket".

Super Sparpreis does offer you the ability to book a city option, which would be an indicatgion for you, that the "City Ticket" is not included
If you hold, as the poster suggested, an ICE ticket that includes a City-ticket than you will be entitled to use the Skytrain not in "most" but in "any" case without a further ticket. If you hold a ticket - what the post did not suggest - that does not include a city ticket, that you will not be entitled to use the Skytrain without a further ticket.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
If you hold, as the poster suggested, an ICE ticket that includes a City-ticket than you will be entitled to use the Skytrain not in "most" but in "any" case without a further ticket. If you hold a ticket - what the post did not suggest - that does not include a city ticket, that you will not be entitled to use the Skytrain without a further ticket.
Let me add that any ticket for long distance trains needs to cover a trip of more than 100 km (one way) in order to include a the City option - an ICE ticket to Köln Hbf, for example, wouldn‘t include that.

By the way, I think I remember that, as the Skytrain was first opened (and frequently swapped for a bus due to technical problems), they stated that any railway ticket (and parking tickets for P4-P5-P6) would be valid for the Skytrain - however, that was before the City option had initially been introduced (for BahnCard holders). Did they actually change that rule?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.