Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frankfurt transit

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2010, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Frankfurt transit

It's been a while since I've done Europe... Going to Prague via Frankfurt on UA/LH..... What can I expect in Frankfurt Airport on my transit through there? Do I clear immigration AND customs (by getting luggage and rechecking it)?

C
Old Sep 19, 2010, 5:44 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since the Caech Republic is in Schengen, if you are arriving in Frankfurt from outside the Schengen area, you will at least have to go through immigration.

Dunno about customs.

You will also go through what is possibly the most humiliating security check in the developed world, regardless of whether you go through immigration or not. If you take a vitamin pill which contains iron, that's enough to set off the magnetometer. In addition to all the usual stuff, they will then take away your wallet, passport, boarding pass, and everything else they can. It will all accumulate at the end of the belt, where lots of other passengers and employees have access, while they are wanding you in a thorough and leisurely manner.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 5:44 pm

You get passport control, because FRA-PRG is intra-Schengen and treated as a domestic flight, but you do not need to claim your luggage at FRA if it's checked through to PRG. Your checked bags would be subject to customs inspection at PRG.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by rove312
You get passport control, because FRA-PRG is intra-Schengen and treated as a domestic flight. ... Your checked bags would be subject to customs inspection at PRG.
+1
Old Sep 20, 2010, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Since the Caech Republic is in Schengen, if you are arriving in Frankfurt from outside the Schengen area, you will at least have to go through immigration.

Dunno about customs.

You will also go through what is possibly the most humiliating security check in the developed world, regardless of whether you go through immigration or not. If you take a vitamin pill which contains iron, that's enough to set off the magnetometer. In addition to all the usual stuff, they will then take away your wallet, passport, boarding pass, and everything else they can. It will all accumulate at the end of the belt, where lots of other passengers and employees have access, while they are wanding you in a thorough and leisurely manner.
Are we talking about the same Airport? Because if we do, i have a hard time believing this statement to be true.

Last edited by zig666; Sep 20, 2010 at 8:24 am Reason: lost the spelling-bee contest
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by zig666
Are we talking about the same Airport? Because if we do, i have a hard time believing this statement to be true.
Much as I dislike FRA compared to MUC, I agree with you.

OP, there is a lengthy thread about transiting FRA on the Germany board. I suggest that you read that one if you need more information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.