Search

Munich in November

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott, National, Sixt
Munich in November

To all the residents of Munich,
Planning a MR to MUC. But also trying to stay there for the weekend. Been looking around and found some really cool stuff to see. I will have all of friday, saturday & sunday (flying back on monday morning).
- Friday (Munich)
- Saturday (areas surrounding Munich, like Dachau, the castle, Regensburg, Landshut
- Sunday (thinking of either taking the train or rent a car and drive to Salsburg / Innsbruck and check out the alps)

Question though. I know it will be cold in November; however what is the usual weather like? Will it be safe to drive? Should I expect a lot of snow? Should I quit the idea of driving and rely on trains? Do want to drive around Innsbruck and check out some of the small villages.

Also, would be traveling alone, would love to meet up some FTer in Munich for a couple of beers Or a hostel where I can meet people...

Thank You for the help
Old Aug 17, 2010, 1:18 pm

Hi,
well the weather - you can be lucky in the last couple of years it was quite nice and warm into november. I wouldn't say there will be a lot of snow.

So driving will be no problem. Although if you want to go to Salzburg you can get a Bayernticket for the train which runs every hour and takes about 2hrs to get there. No need for a car at all. Of course if you want to drive around and explore the car will be better. There are some nice towns on the way to Innsbruck - especially if you drive towards Garmisch Partenkirchen and over the Mountain. Again, driving should not be a problem weatherwise.

Doing one day in Munich is a not much. Honestly if this is your first trip and as you have limited time i would skip Landshut and Regensburg. They are nice places but with the time limit i would not go. Landshut by car is about 45 Minutes to an Hour - Regensburg even further.

Take the S-Bahn (Suburbantrain) to Dachau, do the concentration camp, the castles in Munich, Olympicpark etc. you will see more than enough.

Hope that helps. If you need more info feel free to PM me )
Chris
Old Aug 17, 2010, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by ChrisMuc
Hi,
well the weather - you can be lucky in the last couple of years it was quite nice and warm into november. I wouldn't say there will be a lot of snow.

So driving will be no problem. Although if you want to go to Salzburg you can get a Bayernticket for the train which runs every hour and takes about 2hrs to get there. No need for a car at all. Of course if you want to drive around and explore the car will be better. There are some nice towns on the way to Innsbruck - especially if you drive towards Garmisch Partenkirchen and over the Mountain. Again, driving should not be a problem weatherwise.

Doing one day in Munich is a not much. Honestly if this is your first trip and as you have limited time i would skip Landshut and Regensburg. They are nice places but with the time limit i would not go. Landshut by car is about 45 Minutes to an Hour - Regensburg even further.

Take the S-Bahn (Suburbantrain) to Dachau, do the concentration camp, the castles in Munich, Olympicpark etc. you will see more than enough.

Hope that helps. If you need more info feel free to PM me )
Chris
I'd second this and suggest you plan at most one further destination. Going to Salzburg and back in a day by train would probably be the nicest choice. The train ride is through a beautiful scenery, with great views of the alps, and Salzburg in November shouldn't be too overcrowded (although most of the time it is...). And it'll be less stressful than the autobahn (which is overcrowded, so even though there is no speed limit on parts of this stretch, the effective one can be 50mph or so, so it's not worth it). In Salzburg you do not need a car because all of the interesting things are in the pedestrian zone. And parking is a mess anyway.

Dachau and vicinity is half a day. Even though the place is depressing, you will leave it a changed person and probably appreciate democracy more than you ever did before.

So, with one day Salzburg and half a day in Munich, you have 1.5days left and if you include your jetlag, you'll probably need this...
Old Aug 17, 2010, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
I would recommend going to Neuschaunstein Castle it is about 2 Hours Southeast of Munich.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 4:10 am

Honestly don't go to Neuschwanstein it's nice - but to far for a 3 day trip. It will take you a whole day. When I have friends over from the US we usually only do it, when they stay for at least a week. It's nice - but the tour itself is like 30 Minuntes. It's nice but there is better stuff to do with limited time.

3 days is not much, you will be tired all the time anyways. So just stay in town and maybe do the train to Salzburg.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies guys. I think I definitely want to check out Dachau. I'm a huge history buff and this is something I would not pass up on. I also like the idea of going to Salzburg and / or Innsbruck. Is there a train available to Innsbruck? Or would it be possible for me to do a 3-way train ride. Going from MUC - Salzburg and then to Innsbruck & back to MUC. Or am I pushing for too much?

The only reason I was thinking of driving was looking at some of the roads via Google Maps around Innsbruck (the twisty / curvy rds) and also the opportunity to drive to those little villages along the way. Which a train ride might not be able to do...

Decisions decisions... have to think between salzburg & innsbruck...
Old Aug 18, 2010, 9:19 am

believe me one will be enough. and the ride from salzburg to innsbruch on the train is probably 2hrs+ the train goes back half the way to Munich and then turns into the Inn-Valley. Salzburg also has way more to offer than Innsbruck does.

There will be almost no tourists in November. So Salzburg deffenitly is the better choice.

On the other hand if you want to rent a nice car and do the alpineroads i can understand that as well ^ - but i would wait and see what the weather is like. in the rain it's no fun either...
Old Aug 18, 2010, 7:05 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
The weather in November can be warm and sunny - or quite snowy.

There's really no way to predict this a few weeks out - let alone a months out.

Keep in mind that you may have to rent a car with winter tires if the weather is bad.

There's a lot to do in the city and environs and here are two articles that may be helpful:
Jonathan Spira’s Munich
Munich’s Beer Gardens
Old Aug 20, 2010, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChrisMuc
believe me one will be enough. and the ride from salzburg to innsbruch on the train is probably 2hrs+ the train goes back half the way to Munich and then turns into the Inn-Valley. Salzburg also has way more to offer than Innsbruck does.

There will be almost no tourists in November. So Salzburg deffenitly is the better choice.

On the other hand if you want to rent a nice car and do the alpineroads i can understand that as well ^ - but i would wait and see what the weather is like. in the rain it's no fun either...

Thank you very much. You have me sold on Salzburg, Austria. Maybe I need to fly into Innsbruck some day to enjoy that approach Any decent recommendations for good cheap accommodations in Munich? Not looking to spend a whole lot there...
Old Aug 20, 2010, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by buck3y3nut
Thank you very much. You have me sold on Salzburg, Austria. Maybe I need to fly into Innsbruck some day to enjoy that approach Any decent recommendations for good cheap accommodations in Munich? Not looking to spend a whole lot there...
you can try motelone.de they are quite nice and the price is good. the one at sendlinger tor is right in the middle of town. 5 minute walk from marienplatz. underground in front of the door.

you can also try a&o hostel/hotel. they are clean and cheap.
ibis hotels is also an option but i don't know anyplace downtown.

personally i would choose the motel one at sendlinger tor - good price, nice place, VERY! central.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
The A&O hostel/hotel is a very nice place not too far from the train station I stayed there in May with some friends.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.