Community
Wiki Posts
Search

munich day trips

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2010, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

munich day trips

Hi i'm going to Germany next month for Oktoberfest. Can anyone recommend and fun day trips my friends and I can take? Is there anything that I should definitely do?

Hyun
Old Aug 6, 2010, 9:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
I like hiking around Garmisch.

Dachau is close by. Not fun but well worth seeing.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 9:54 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by corkey
Hi i'm going to Germany next month for Oktoberfest. Can anyone recommend and fun day trips my friends and I can take? Is there anything that I should definitely do?

Hyun
There´s a lot to do in the Munich area - plus you could visit Augsburg or Starnberger See.

Make sure to read up on the Biergarten here - and here is an article on things to do IN Munich as well.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

+1 on Dachau. A little sobering history lesson is a good thing.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 10:27 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I agree that Dachau should be at the top of the list for visitors to Munich, irrespective of religion. Moreover, it is only about 30 minutes from the center of the city and just a bit past the BMW factory (which is a big tourist destination).
Now, having posted my personal opinion, I am donning my Moderator hat and moving this thread to the Germany Forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator.
P.S. Welcome to Flyertalk
Old Aug 7, 2010, 12:28 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dachau is mandatory.

You can do a day trip to Mad King Ludwig's castle Neuschwanstein -- inspiration for the Castle at various Disneylands.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 1:23 am

I much prefer Linderhof; less crowds, smaller to navigate with beautiful walks around the grounds. Salzburg is in easy distance and definitely worth a trip.

Better if you post your interests ie outdoors, history, etc and if you will have transport. Many sights are reachable by public transport but if taking a day trip some are easier than others without a car.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 2:45 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
If you rent a car, there's an awful lot that's an easy day trip: Salzburg, Garmisch, Innsbruck, Nuremberg, Stuttgart, Berchtesgaden are a few ideas off the top of my head. I second the notion of visiting Dachau; it's a profound experience. If you like cars, a visit to the BMW museum is also worthwhile.

As someone else noted, it would be easier to help if you'd give us some idea of what your interests are. Munich is one of my favorite places and there's a huge amount to do there and in the area.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 5:24 am

Programs: EY-Gold LH-SEN AA-Gold HHonors-Gold National-ES
Neuschwanstein is a must.

It is an easy day trip by train.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 5:48 am

Andeck's Monastery and Brewery is easy, fun and truly german.

Linderhof is small but very interesting

Neuschwanstein is tourist laden ... don't go on a rainy day.

I once took a bus trip to Rothenberg from Munich, also touristy but very interesting.

Last edited by djm3; Aug 7, 2010 at 5:48 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 7, 2010, 6:32 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA 2P, Hertz Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Silver
Welcome to Flyertalk, Corkey!

You can't go wrong with any of the above advice in my opinion. My personal priority list would be as follows:

1. Dachau - one of the most sobering, haunting experiences I've had

2. Andechs monastery - neat old buildings and grounds, GREAT beer and hearty German food

3. Salzburg - the fortress, Die Weisse brewpub, just walking around the Altstadt

4 Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles - not very old, but very cool

Cheers,
FB
Old Aug 7, 2010, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Neuschwanstein is a MUST it is amazing especially the location, it is about 2 hours outside of Munich you can take to the DB Train to Fussen (not sure the number) and then a bus to Newuschwanstein. Salzburg is a must as well.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by djm3
Neuschwanstein is tourist laden ... don't go on a rainy day.
No Kidding! I went in May on a rainy day and I was soaked on top of that I was all muddy since my friend and I went hiking past Mary's Bridge onto the Mud Trails But still I think it is a great trip.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

munich

Thank you for the great advice. My friends and I love anything outdoors. hiking, walking, getting lost, museums, and eating. Will it be worth it for us to rent a car while we are out there?
Old Aug 9, 2010, 9:44 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by corkey
Thank you for the great advice. My friends and I love anything outdoors. hiking, walking, getting lost, museums, and eating. Will it be worth it for us to rent a car while we are out there?
It depends where you are going to go to.

I would say probably not as you can take the S-Bahn or DB quite easily from the city.

On the other hand, you could make a nice day trip by car to Dürnstein and other parts of the Wachau and go bicycling and hiking and enjoy Austrian wine country. See my article here for detais.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.