Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"No Children Policy" in a Munich Hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond, UA 2 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum Premier
Angry "No Children Policy" in a Munich Hotel?

Can anyone shed some light on a recent experience I had. I tried to book 2 rooms for 4 adults and 2 children at the Platzl Hotel in Munich where I have stayed many times over the years. I was told that the maximum number of people per room was 2. One room is for me and my wife and the other room is for another couple with 2 young children ages 3 and 6. I was told that I needed to book 3 rooms. I asked the Frau what they generally offer a family with a young child and she said that "they usually don't take the extra room".

Can anyone give me some insight about this. I am not accustom to traveling with children but this seems a bit unreasonable. I am certain that I've seen children at the Platzl during previous stays.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:11 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by IFlyMRY

Can anyone give me some insight about this. I am not accustom to traveling with children but this seems a bit unreasonable. I am certain that I've seen children at the Platzl during previous stays.
First, I think the thread title of "No Children Policy Munich Hotels" is extraordinarily misleading as
1.) The Platzl does not have a "no children policy" based on what you posted and
2.) What you wrote does not apply per se to other hotels in Munich.

Regarding having seen children at the Platzl, perhaps they were in their own room.

Whenever I travelled with my parents and brother (and we travelled several times a year across the globe when I was young), we always had two rooms. What's the big deal with that anyway? Having four people in a room seems like it's two people too many, even if it's children.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 1:57 am

I agree with the previous poster - this post is about ONE hotel, not Munich Hotels in general, and it's not a "No children" policy at all, just a somewhat family-unfriendly policy on maximum occupancy. If the rooms at the hotel are small then such a policy probably makes sense.

This policy should not cause any problems to families with older children - children don't share their parents' room at home, so why should they not have a room of their own at a hotel? It does cause a problem for families with younger children - who will probably just have to accept that this particular hotel can't meet their needs.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Some hotel rooms have a certain occupancy level. If a room can only legally have 2 people, then they may have to book two rooms.

I've run into this in Paris, London, etc. Some times they can work around it, other times I've either had to book a family room or get another room. (This was for 1 child)

Even what is considered a child is different depending on the country. In the US, we regularly booked rooms with a teenager as a child on the reservation. Rarely did we have problems, but I recall having problems in KUL one time, but it was settled to my liking.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 7:24 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
To the matter of finding a hotel that might be more children friendly, I seem to recall that the Holiday Inn on the Leopoldstraße in Munich was in that category.

I haven´t stayed there in a few years but I continue to hear positive things about the hotel.

My review is of the hotel is online here.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond, UA 2 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum Premier
Thank you for the replies.

Sorry, jisira and aviatrix that you were mislead by the title. I never meant to insinuate that ALL Munich hotels didn't allow children only that a Munich hotel possibly was. Glad that jisira could see beyond that and read the details I posted.

This was an unusual situation for me because I don't normally travel with children and I felt like I was getting upsold but didn't want to jump to any conclusions until I asked others who may have more experience. It seemed unreasonable that parents with a 3 year old would be required to take 2 rooms.

I appreciate the link to the Holiday Inn and will check it out. One thing that I didn't mention is that I want to reserve during Oktoberfest and I'm sure things are already or getting booked up fast.

Any other hotel suggestions would be most appreciated. 150-250 euro with location close to the Marienplatz is what I'm looking for.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 8:41 am

Programs: IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, HHonors Gold, Air Berlin Topbonus Gold, Miles & More FT, SIXT Diamond
being a family father myself, I can guarantee you, that there are many hotels with restrictions like that around the globe, especially when rooms are on the smallish side and to be honest this is quite understandable.
Most hotels around Marienplatz offer mostly small rooms due to the high renting costs here. You could of course book a Suite at the "Vier Jahreszeiten", but this is another cost league.

There is a family friendly Novotel and Holiday Inn in the Hochstr., about 10 min. walking distance from Marienplatz.
I like both hotels and this may be an option.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Some time ago (can't remember which city in Germany) I came across a small hotel that did not permit children. The explanation offered was that the rooms were furnished with antique furniture (not reproductions). I didn't ask, but my guess is that there was a past incident of damage caused by a child that led to the policy.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
This is likely a fire code issue and not an upsell from the hotel itself. They likely aren't allowed to put more than 2 people in a room.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 1:11 am

Don't reduce your selection with the location because getting around Munich by underground has to be about the easiest way of getting around and it is SAFE to do so. Check out all the other options tooo. There is absolutely no need to stay at the Marienplatz!!!
Old Jul 16, 2010, 1:15 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I have edited the title a little bit to reflect that it is only in one hotel.

Like previously posted, the room of the hotels in this area tend to be more of the smaller side and the moste German hotels offer rooms with an occupancy of two people, sometimes a small bed for a toddler might be possible, but not for two children in the age of 3 and 6. It is just too narrow and also housekeeping might get some problems.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 3:09 am

I agree with the others - Munich is a lovely city, but some of the hotel rooms are very small. I have used the Maritim Hotel several times and although it is not the most modern, the staff are super friendly and kids are no problem. They have connecting rooms and I have stayed with one child on an extra bed. The rooms are probably large enough for 2, but with a connecting room, everyone will be more comfortable. Hotel is located a short (seriously short walk) from Marienplatz - near the Hauptbahnhof - probably not the prettiest area but very central. Hope this helps. Cheers.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:37 am

Programs: Delta Gold
Another option you all might find more comfortable and more affordable (depending on the length of your visit), is to rent an apartment rather than a couple of hotel rooms. We generally do that with the kids both in the U.S. and Europe and it's So. Much. Easier. More space, the ability to make a few meals or snacks and get staged more comfortably for the day when you're coordinating schedules. Check out sites like VRBO.com for options.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 6:55 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Some time ago (can't remember which city in Germany) I came across a small hotel that did not permit children. The explanation offered was that the rooms were furnished with antique furniture (not reproductions). I didn't ask, but my guess is that there was a past incident of damage caused by a child that led to the policy.
There are many hotels with a no child policy. In certain countries (Cook Islands) the majority of hotels wouldn't allow kids.

And hotels not allowing 4 people in a room is quite common.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 2:47 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Also, when searching for suitable hotels in Germany when traveling with children, hrs.de is an excellent place to look. When you tell the website that you are traveling with children, it gives you the option to input their ages as well as the options of: in parent's bed, in additional bed, and in separate room. Having not traveled with children in Europe, I have not tested the system beyond that, but it seems like a helpful search parameter if it works properly.

Also, booking.com shows you very clearly the number of people that you can put into one room. It also has an area to input the number and ages of children, although it doesn't give you the bedding options like HRS.

Both of these sites were better suited to searching for European hotels than typical US sites like Travelocity, IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.