Munich Transfer Advice [layover/sightseeing recommendations]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Munich Transfer Advice [layover/sightseeing recommendations]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2009, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Question Munich Transfer Advice [layover/sightseeing recommendations]

Hi

Have a work trip to london in Jan and just discovered I will need to zip off to Dubai for 4 days while there then return to Manchester. Cheapest decent J(Turkish was cheaper by 100 pounds) was LH LHR-DXB-MAN. BA was over double the LH price...so much for loyalty to OW

I have the option on the return to arrive at 1215 into munich and depart for MAN at 2125. Is this enough time to get into the city centre for a few hrs. Im on an Aussie passport so dont think ill have any issues getting out.

Whats the quickest way into town, the LH bus or train?

If I get train do I get off at main city stop or the main Munich station stop for some sightseeing?

Or do u think I should just skip the transit catch a quicker connecting flight as Munich will be just too cold to enjoy seeing anything for just a few hrs?

I'm really looking forward to flying LH for the first time ever. First time Ive flown * infact. Hope the Munich/LH J experience lives up to my expectations!

Thanks in advance.

CJ
Old Dec 11, 2009, 6:05 pm

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
Whats the quickest way into town, the LH bus or train?
If I get train do I get off at main city stop or the main Munich station stop for some sightseeing?
Or do u think I should just skip the transit catch a quicker connecting flight as Munich will be just too cold to enjoy seeing anything for just a few hrs?
If it is a nice sunny day, then it is worth a trip. I would avoid it if it rains.

Saying that, train (S8) is the quickest way to city center. Just go to the underground S-Bahn station across the airport terminal and purchase a ticket to the city at the vending machine. Get off at the Marienplatz station. The ride will be 30-40 min. Ticket is 8.80EU one way.

Enjoy the Altstadt.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 6:17 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
I would say there are a lot of things to do when it rains as well.

If you like to have some traditional Bavarian food and beer, go to a Bierhalle/-keller.

If you are into technical stuff, there is a great museum in Munich - the Deutsches Museum. They also have great Foucault pendulum.

You have at least 6 hours to spend in the city, so lots of options.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 2:07 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
The Munich Airport website has a stopover guide in PDF you can download "There are better things to do while you are waiting". It lists things to see and excursions you can make depending on the length of your layover. At the airport you can also pick up the guide in print which includes discount vouchers. I haven't had the opportunity to use the guide as connecting at MUC is so efficient, but I hope to do so some time soon.

Even if it's not raining in MUC it may be in MAN.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 2:19 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by volta
If it is a nice sunny day, then it is worth a trip. I would avoid it if it rains.

Saying that, train (S8) is the quickest way to city center. Just go to the underground S-Bahn station across the airport terminal and purchase a ticket to the city at the vending machine. Get off at the Marienplatz station. The ride will be 30-40 min. Ticket is 8.80EU one way.

Enjoy the Altstadt.
Ticket for the Gesamtnetz (entire Munich public transportation network) is 10 Euro. So if you don't just go airport to place xyz and that's it for the day, you are always better of with the "Gesamtnetz"-Ticket.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 3:20 am

Programs: If I donīt have it, I donīt need it!
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
Ticket for the Gesamtnetz (entire Munich public transportation network) is 10 Euro. So if you don't just go airport to place xyz and that's it for the day, you are always better of with the "Gesamtnetz"-Ticket.
As supermasterphil suggested buy a single day Gesamtnetz ticket for 10 Euros. Itīs valid for unlimited travel on buses, trams, underground trains and S-trains in Munich. What you can do depends on the day of the week - sunday all shops are closed in Germany. If you want to do some sightseeing, go to Marienplatz (take the S8 from the airport). You can have a nice wander around - Marienplatz, Theatinerstr., Odeonsplatz, Hofgarten, Ludwigstr., Viktualienmarkt (closed on Sundays!), Hofbräuhaus etc. For Deutsches Museum get off the S8 at Isartor - itīs a short walk from there next to the river Isar. There is a nice cafe opposite the Deutsche Museum in the Müllersches Volksbad. Or walk from the Deutsches Museum to the city centre have a nice meal and a beer in the Hofbräuhaus, Augustiner Keller etc. and get back from MArienplatz to the airport. The S-Bahn is running every 20 min - it takes 40 min ish to get to/from the airport.

The BMW World is although nice to visit (take the S8 from the aiport to Marienplatz, change to the U3, direction Olympiazentrum, get off at Olympiazentrum).

If you need more information feel free to send me a PM.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
The Munich Airport website has a stopover guide in PDF you can download "There are better things to do while you are waiting". It lists things to see and excursions you can make depending on the length of your layover. At the airport you can also pick up the guide in print which includes discount vouchers. I haven't had the opportunity to use the guide as connecting at MUC is so efficient, but I hope to do so some time soon.

Even if it's not raining in MUC it may be in MAN.
G'day NewbieRunner
That link is fantastic...all my questions answered. Appreciate it. Everyone else thanks for the advice. Think I'll do the stop over......my collegue has just told me Qatar Airways has a cheaper J than LH for my route but while it would be great to try Qatar Airways..I think the MUC stopover is worth the extra few $.

I read 40 mins for both bus and train. Am I right assuming the bus will be more comfortable than the train?

Cheers.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 5:42 am

G'day NewbieRunner
That link is fantastic...all my questions answered. Appreciate it. Everyone else thanks for the advice. Think I'll do the stop over......my collegue has just told me Qatar Airways has a cheaper J than LH for my route but while it would be great to try Qatar Airways..I think the MUC stopover is worth the extra few $.

I read 40 mins for both bus and train. Am I right assuming the bus will be more comfortable than the train?

Cheers.
I prefer the S-Bahn. For the Airport bus you have to buy an extra ticket, itīs not valid on munich public transport. Although late in the evenings traffic can be really bad.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 6:07 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
As far as I can see the S8 train runs every 20 mins, the bus also runs every 20 mins.
http://efa.mvv-muenchen.de/mvv/TTB/MVV4__0000385e.pdf
http://www.airportbus-muenchen.de/cm...ome/index.html

The train takes you to the centre of the city (Marienplatz), the bus takes you to the main railway station (Hauptbahnhof).
Old Dec 12, 2009, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
As far as I can see the S8 train runs every 20 mins, the bus also runs every 20 mins.
http://efa.mvv-muenchen.de/mvv/TTB/MVV4__0000385e.pdf
http://www.airportbus-muenchen.de/cm...ome/index.html

The train takes you to the centre of the city (Marienplatz), the bus takes you to the main railway station (Hauptbahnhof).
The bus will probably take the Autobahn passing the Allianz Arena which is a "nice to see" especially when dark outside.

Generally, the scenery might be more interesting on the sbahn. considering it's such a short ride, I would really call one or the other more comfortable or inconvenient.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 6:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 3P, SPG GOLD
Originally Posted by volta

Enjoy the Altstadt.
I agree, the me S-Bahn will be the best option, besides takeing a cab to the city ( 25Euros ).

Have fun in Muenchen
Old Dec 12, 2009, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Premierassociate
I agree, the me S-Bahn will be the best option, besides takeing a cab to the city ( 25Euros ).

Have fun in Muenchen
Never took the cap but I doubt it will be that cheap. I'd rather say it's between 40-60 Euro, depending on where you are heading to.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Premierassociate

Have fun in Muenchen
Mate, 25 Euro will get you to Freising by cab but never ever to Munich 40-60 Euros is the benchmark! The airport is in the middle of nowhere...
Old Dec 12, 2009, 3:06 pm

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
Originally Posted by silversurfer
Mate, 25 Euro will get you to Freising
If the layover was shorter I would actually suggest visiting Freising & Weihenstephan (the bus takes 20 minutes and costs around 2 eur).
Old Dec 12, 2009, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

While cab wouldnt really be an issue, and may see a little more scenery on the bus I think the very important return peak hour rush during my evening dash back to the airport is a clear win for the train. I guess also the fact I can use same ticket to get around if I need to and my delivery to a more central location in centre of town. Cab -1, Bus- 1,:-: train 3:-:.....we have a winner!
One more question, is the LH J lounge worth getting back to the airport early for? Think my platinum/emerald status will get me past the LH lounge dragon into any F lounge (wishful thinking, I know)
Guys you have all been brilliant. If ever any of you are in Sydney town let me know.

CJ^.

Last edited by Cedar Jet; Dec 12, 2009 at 4:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.