Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Board First" benefit

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2023, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum, Frontier Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
"Board First" benefit

So, with my new (bought) 100k status, I am again seeing "Board First" as some sort of benefit with the "purchase" of a carry on.

Does anyone know what this really is/ does?

On a recent round-trip MCO-CLE, we boarded when 'elites' were requested at MCO. My wife has no status but came with me. United allows elite companions to board early, so we just did it. No issues with that.

Then in Cleveland, they do the 'need extra time' group, then asked for 'elites' and, without waiting a beat, 'and Board First'. Are Board First folks right after elites, or are they part of or the beginning of Group 1.

Or are Board First folks usually called after I have entered the plane as an elite and so I never hear that announcement.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum, Frontier Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
I did some searching and most of the references to Board First are pretty vague and talk about being 'among' the first to board. I did find this on one page:

Board First

Want to be among the first to board the plane? With our Board First option, you will get to board the plane before Zone 1. Just add the option when purchasing your carry-on bag!

So, maybe my real question is, how this is working in practice.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 2:07 pm

If they follow their procedures it's supposed to be pre-boards including Elites and Board First. If you are Elite, don't waste your money on Board First. On at least half the flights they call out "pre board" and don't mention Elite or Board First and then pretty quickly call out Zone 1. If you are entitled to it, just charge up there before they call Zone 1.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 11:13 pm

I get boarding first so you can absolutely find overhead bin space if you need it. But on the other hand it can mean up to an additional 45 minutes sitting in Frontiers brutally uncomfortable seats. I wish they offered a "Board Last" perk with guaranteed bin space. That, I would pay extra for.
chica likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 11:47 am

Is it really hard to get bin space? With the smaller personal bags being size checked and charging for full size carry-ons, it seems as if it shouldn't be a big problem. I don't remember ever seeing a flight where they are forcing passengers to gate check bags.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by pretzlaff
So, with my new (bought) 100k status, I am again seeing "Board First" as some sort of benefit with the "purchase" of a carry on.

Does anyone know what this really is/ does?

On a recent round-trip MCO-CLE, we boarded when 'elites' were requested at MCO. My wife has no status but came with me. United allows elite companions to board early, so we just did it. No issues with that.

Then in Cleveland, they do the 'need extra time' group, then asked for 'elites' and, without waiting a beat, 'and Board First'. Are Board First folks right after elites, or are they part of or the beginning of Group 1.

Or are Board First folks usually called after I have entered the plane as an elite and so I never hear that announcement.
How did you buy the 100k status? I assume status match but wondering if there was another way.

To answer the original question, I often here preboard/elite/board first called at the same time in most cities. MCO seems to do a pretty good job of giving a few extra mins before zone 1... at least in my experience. Vegas tends to call those and then zone 1 all at the same time.

So really just depends on who is calling it out and how motivated they are to follow the policy.

That said, I have never had an issue anytime I have walked up when they announce preboard. I just tell them I'm elite if they say they aren't doing general boarding yet.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Yes, the status match. Thanks for your experiences. It sounds like Board First is like everything else with Frontier, inconsistent.
Clamqueen likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 8:09 am

Programs: Frontier (50k), Southwest, Wyndham (Diamond), Hyatt (Discoverist), National (Executive), Amex (Plat)
Yeah, I wouldn't bother paying for it... especially if you're elite. It's hit or miss as to if they'll even call for it, and it's a crapshoot if they'll honor it whether they call for it or not. As an elite, I've gone up when they called for elites only to be told I have to stand in the line in order to board. The lady who boarded in front of me was Zone 3. I didn't care too much since I was in Row 1 and had guaranteed overhead bin space, but would have been royally pissed if I had paid for it and got treated that way. I suspect "Board First" is just another Frontier scam to make a little ancillary revenue and offer little or nothing in return.
chica likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by willy702
Is it really hard to get bin space? With the smaller personal bags being size checked and charging for full size carry-ons, it seems as if it shouldn't be a big problem. I don't remember ever seeing a flight where they are forcing passengers to gate check bags.
I've never had a problem getting overhead space, but it's a problem if you're in the front of the plane since the first row has no storage, plus there's some emergency equipment taking up space. If you're in row 2 or 3 it's not uncommon to have to stow your bag 5+ rows back and 'swim upstream' to retrieve it at the end of the flight if you don't board first. As others have said, they never leave enough time for elites and board first to walk up, so it's a total waste of money to pay for it.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 4:02 pm

This morning I had to explain to the Frontier gate agent what the board first option was. LOL.

Me: "Hi. I'm "Board First" and would like to know if I can go right after the pre-boards?"
Her: "Are you in Zone 1?"
Me: "Well yes, but I have "Board First" (I show her "Board First" on my boarding pass) - can I just go after the pre-boards?"
Her: *deer in headlights* "Uh, yeah, that's fine."

She. seriously. didn't. know. what. board. first. is.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 7:16 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by EugeneK
This morning I had to explain to the Frontier gate agent what the board first option was. LOL.

Me: "Hi. I'm "Board First" and would like to know if I can go right after the pre-boards?"
Her: "Are you in Zone 1?"
Me: "Well yes, but I have "Board First" (I show her "Board First" on my boarding pass) - can I just go after the pre-boards?"
Her: *deer in headlights* "Uh, yeah, that's fine."

She. seriously. didn't. know. what. board. first. is.
I've only ever heard "Board First" mentioned in CLE and MCO. At CLT, they don't even call Elites... in fact two weeks ago the agent boarding the flight called for pre-boarding and repeated over and over and over "those who needs assistances.... those who needs assistances... those who needs assistances" about 20 times in a row over the PA. The JetBlue agent about 30 feet away waiting to make a boarding announcement for their flight was visibly pissed off, motioning at her to be quiet.

Two days ago I went up when the whole pre-boarding spiel was made, which didn't include Board First or elite, as I was in row 1 and needed overhead space. I asked the agent if elites can go ahead and board and he goes "you should have already boarded!" then asked if the boarding pass I scanned was really me. It's absolutely amazing the disparity even between people with one ground handling vendor. At Charlotte, Frontier is handled by G2 Secure Services. They also handle United. I know the United manager (the actual United employee) who said everyone G2 has on the Frontier contract are people that United has banished from working its flights.

Which funny... a few years ago when I worked for an airline as a general manager, my ground handler also handled Frontier and Allegiant. Everyone on those contracts had been kicked off my contract (I had 40 flights a day, Allegiant had 1-2, Frontier about 8 at the time). Everyone who I got customer complaints on, or who left off a bunch of bags, or put a hole in a plane got booted to go work F9.
EugeneK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.