Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oddly Specific Baggage Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2022, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Oddly Specific Baggage Questions

I need to transport two pelican cases without wheels. I plan to check one of them. I have a folding "Magna Cart" handcart that folds flat. I'd like to ratchet strap it to one of the pelican cases. It will still be just under 40lbs and less than linear 62".

- Are ratchet straps allowed on checked luggage? They're not locked, so TSA could un-strap them if they know how to use ratchet straps.
- Is strapping a flat-fold cart to a checked bag allowed or banned?

ALSO - I'm really cutting it close on their new 40lbs limit for my checked suitcase. I need every last pound I can get. All of Frontier's text clearly states that there's an up-charge for 41-50lbs. Does that effectively mean the limit is really 41 lbs (not 40?). What happens if I'm at 40.9 lbs? Does the charge kick in at 40.1 or 41lbs?

Thanks!
Old May 3, 2022, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Answers! In case they're useful to others. I didn't fill in me/Marc for each line. I figured the useful parts would be obvious.

Chat at 9:26am on 5/3/2022 - Cognigy Webchat
Hello there! My name is Marc. I see that you are contacting us regarding your luggage. I'll do my best to assist you in any way I can. Can you tell me more about your luggage concern?
Nothing wrong. Packing for airport and want to do it right.
Two questions:
1 - The overweight policy says 41-50lbs has an upcharge.
What is the charge if it's 40.9 lbs?
There's no extra charge for the since it doesn't reach 41 lbs.
perfect, thank you!
You're welcome!
Are there any other questions for me today?
Yes
Sure.
I have a flat-fold cart. Assuming the total weight and linear dimensions are within the limits for a checked bag, is there any prohibition against ratchet-strapping it to a hard-side case for checked baggage??
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please allow me a moment to check my resources.
Thanks for waiting. As per checking we don't have prohibition with that. So yes, you can ratchet-strap it to a hard-side case for checked baggage.
Great! Thanks Marc! (Is this still Marc?)
You're welcome! Yes, it is.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 7:52 am

Programs: AY+ Platsku, CM Silver, Frontier Elite 100K, Marriott Gold and LT Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador.
Thanks for the data point,

That's some genius packing solution right there! I would have intuitively said it wouldn't be allowed so it's nice to have an official confirmation.

Last edited by Venezuela-Miami; May 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
Old May 4, 2022, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Venezuela-Miami
Thanks for the data point,

That's some genius packing solution right there! I would have intuitively said that it wouldn't be allowed so it's nice to have an official confirmation.
Reluctant to call it "official confirmation." Your Mileage May Vary. I've lost track of times someone with clear representative authority for a large company has said a thing, and then upon execution of the thing, the next person says "well, they were wrong *shrug* " But hopefully this will help someone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.