Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding from the back on the plane first

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Angry Boarding from the back on the plane first

Have others run into this? On ATL-LAS they didn't call anyone except quietly taking wheelchair assists, and then by rows starting in the back. There was even a step for rows 5 and higher, so if you were in the first four you were at the very last.

On LAS-ATL they had a preboard announcement, but only for those needing help/extra time or military. I went ahead anyway as a 50K elite without a problem, but maybe that's a YMMV.

My best guess as to why is that they want to minimize passengers walking past other, seated passengers even though everyone is supposed to be wearing a mask by then.

However, with their stretch seating and seat fee structure the people paying the most are toward the FRONT, and I'd be willing to bet the front half also beats the back half on carry-ons that are paid for. Imagine having one of those and getting a full-bin situation because those from the back filled them out with items including rucksacks or other unpaid personal items (or paid carry-ons that are oversize). I've generally found that the longer the haul, the greater the chance the bins will be at or near capacity. It's not as bad as legacies where a late zone almost guarantees you'll get force-checked, but it does seem at odds with the fee structure to give the back-of-the-bus treatment to those who've paid more.

At the very least they should let elites board in the pre-board. Most flights I'm on still have few, and they're taking away an important benefit if they end up going last.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 11:26 am

Just get on when you want

The elites always get to go on with the pre boards but if you are a little late just go, they won't stop you whenever you get on. And yes I almost had a problem when I flew with a companion that doesnt have elite. I waited and then got on and saw nearly full bins. I was able to move a small bag around to fit my carry on but it was close. I don't know what they would do, maybe they would find space in the bins saved for the first row, but to be safe just get on earlier if you have elite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.