Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Frontier Airlines | Frontier Miles Program
Reload this Page >

Charged for Random Seat Assignments at DFW. Cops called me after arguing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond

A few weeks ago I was flying DFW to DEN. I had issues with online check in so I got in line. The man checking in customers I noticed charged for seats. The girl in front of me had to pay about $60 to go to SAN. She didn't care what seats she was given he told her she had to pay or not check in. When I came up same thing. I argued with him and he threatened to call security. So I filmed him. I was of course in no way rude or condescending. Just needed to cover my back. He said if I did not pay for a seat I would not be able to fly to Denver. I handed him my card, he would not give me a receipt not tell me how much the cost was. I was also assigned a middle seat when the seat map showed plenty of isle and windows (Which were given to nonrevs at the gate) Fast forward I was denied boarding at the gate, and police were summoned. Lucky for me DFW PD are reasonable. They believed the agents (the check in man and his superior) were wrong. I also had CS on the phone. At this point all the customers saw me denied and the police which was embarrassing. After some time the cops told the agents that they would advise them to let me fly. The agents tried to get me arrested and deny my flight.
After all was said and done F9 refunded my $36 or so they charged me, and after some work offered me a $100 voucher. After talking to other PAX i found that F9 at DFW has been charging for random seats for some time. The woman next to me told me her brother flew last week and was made to pay for his seat. I am assuming Frontier has stolen Thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars from Pax. I'm considering that this has potential for a class action lawsuit. I'm also thinking to sue for what I was put through. Any advice. F9 has bullied me and will do nothing about it. I was humiliated in front of other PAX and if I did not record the situation I could have been arrested and who knows.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ryan754
A few weeks ago I was flying DFW to DEN. I had issues with online check in so I got in line. The man checking in customers I noticed charged for seats. The girl in front of me had to pay about $60 to go to SAN. She didn't care what seats she was given he told her she had to pay or not check in. When I came up same thing. I argued with him and he threatened to call security. So I filmed him. I was of course in no way rude or condescending. Just needed to cover my back. He said if I did not pay for a seat I would not be able to fly to Denver. I handed him my card, he would not give me a receipt not tell me how much the cost was. I was also assigned a middle seat when the seat map showed plenty of isle and windows (Which were given to nonrevs at the gate) Fast forward I was denied boarding at the gate, and police were summoned. Lucky for me DFW PD are reasonable. They believed the agents (the check in man and his superior) were wrong. I also had CS on the phone. At this point all the customers saw me denied and the police which was embarrassing. After some time the cops told the agents that they would advise them to let me fly. The agents tried to get me arrested and deny my flight.
After all was said and done F9 refunded my $36 or so they charged me, and after some work offered me a $100 voucher. After talking to other PAX i found that F9 at DFW has been charging for random seats for some time. The woman next to me told me her brother flew last week and was made to pay for his seat. I am assuming Frontier has stolen Thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars from Pax. I'm considering that this has potential for a class action lawsuit. I'm also thinking to sue for what I was put through. Any advice. F9 has bullied me and will do nothing about it. I was humiliated in front of other PAX and if I did not record the situation I could have been arrested and who knows.
Seems to be a recurring issue that F9 does shady stuff and calls the police when passengers won't put up with it.
Old May 5, 2019, 12:44 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
It has also been reported that Frontier has refused to allow people to purchase tickets at the airport, I believe it was LGA which would force passengers to pay the $19 for the convenience of booking online.
Old May 6, 2019, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
It sounds like the DFW cops had seen this before and knew what the policy was. It's hard to believe the company would be OK with it or let some rogue supervisor continue to do it. Isn't $30 what they usually charge for the first 3 rows or the exit row? If that's all they had left they still shouldn't be charging if it's a random assignment to those because the rest of the plane got filled out.
jjbiv likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 4:10 pm

What you should do is to get some newspaper to take up the story, and suggest the PD start charging Frontier for frivolous calls.
Old May 6, 2019, 8:21 pm

One think people should keep in mind is the most landside personnel for Frontier except for maybe Denver are contract or employees and probably don't get proper training. That does not excuse the issues but it does explain them.
nancypants and jjbiv like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
One think people should keep in mind is the most landside personnel for Frontier except for maybe Denver are contract or employees and probably don't get proper training. That does not excuse the issues but it does explain them.
In fact, they are probably get a commission for every seat they sell and don't really care about the rules. Obviously, corporate doesn't really care or they would shut it down immediately. Lesson: Don't patronize shady companies...
nancypants and sunil like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
At the end of the day they are scamming pax for a lot of money. Also in my case tried to have me arrested. Anyone know of good class action lawyer? I think this has potential. What a garbage airline.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: SPG, HH, IHG, BA, DL
Unlawful detention is a cause for a violation of your freedom and can be a good lawsuit.

I know when I was working security in college, if we stopped someone and they were found not breaking a law, we were subject to a lawsuit for unlawful detention.

In the OP case, if the agent had no legitimate reason to call the police, because he/she was engaging in an illegal extortion act, then you have full recourse against the agent and his employer.
Old May 24, 2019, 12:40 pm

I am so shocked to learn its really happening! Unbelievable!
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ryan754
At the end of the day they are scamming pax for a lot of money. Also in my case tried to have me arrested. Anyone know of good class action lawyer? I think this has potential. What a garbage airline.
Definitely file a DOT complaint. And then call and get someone in their office on the case. Sounds like they have some investigating to do.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:00 pm

why not just checkin online and let it assign you the seat(s) for free?
jjbiv likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by alchemista
why not just checkin online and let it assign you the seat(s) for free?
The OP said he tried but had problems doing so. It shouldn't matter.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:56 am

Have you tried contacting Frontier, outlining your complaint, with dates, confirmation number, and names, if you have any?

https://www.flyfrontier.com/contact-...ts-complaints/

It's possible that they are not aware of what's going on. A questionable action by one of their reps could be costing them future business - something they would not want.
jjbiv likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:14 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Contact Frontier. See what they say/do. Those gate agents are all contract employees through staffing agencies. They can also track how many people were overcharged, etc. through their system. Not that any corporation would ever admit guilt...

What is weird is when I buy my tickets at the airport, the seat is automatically assigned right when I book... (no fee)...

So I guess it is different if you buy via the website? The seat assignment is manual?

Not sure about how the recording of the gate agent helped at all other than to probably escalate the situation... the "charge" would have spoken for itself regarding the agent's activity and conduct.
jjbiv likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.