Wiki Posts
Search

Reimbursement for cancelled flight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Reimbursement for cancelled flight

Hi all,

Just had a very unpleasant experience with Frontier and was wondering if anyone else dealt with something similar. Got an email at 4am that my flight that day was cancelled (no reason given). The email gave me two options: 1)get a refund and a voucher (by mail); 2)reimburse me up to $400 per passenger if I rebook on another airline. I chose the second option because I absolutely need to be at my destination, and also I still would like to keep my return ticket with Frontier.

The process took me to another webpage - TripEasy, which is somehow related to Frontier, where I booked another flight and charged it to my credit card (why didn't Frontier pay for that up front?). So now Frontier is supposed to somehow get that receipt from them (never asked me any prompts or sent me confirmation emails) and mail me a reimbursement check for $800 in the next 10 business days...but another Frontier page said 14 business days...and a third one said up to 30 days.

Has anyone had this happen, and how long did it take them to mail the check?

Also, because they canceled the flight and I chose to rebook, I assume my return flight with them is still good and not canceled? (No refund has been given on my original booking)

Tried calling them, but I've been on hold for 72 minutes now...

Any advice or help is appreciated!
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Can you not just give Frontier your account number and they transfer the money to you?
Mailing a paper check?????
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist -> AA Executive Platinum, BAEC Gold, Spirit Lifetime Somebody
Originally Posted by warakorn
Can you not just give Frontier your account number and they transfer the money to you?
Mailing a paper check?????
You must not live in the US, where we are still in the Stone age of using paper checks to transfer money. Nobody does the account number thing here.
klanfa likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Finally was able to get through to Customer Service. So they use TripEasy as a third-party company that does the rebooking for them, who then sends the confirmation to Frontier and once they verify it they will mail me a check. Any paper trail or any confirmation number right now - no. How long will it take - despite their webpage saying I will get a check in 10 business days, the customer service rep said it would be a MINIMUM of 30 days and could take up to 90 days. Insanity.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:11 pm

The system is a little slow, but it works. I had a canceled Frontier flight PHL-MSY back in June. After twice boarding the plane and twice being told to leave the plane while they investigated the problem, they eventually canceled the flight. They gave us each a letter explaining basically the same 2 options--either full refund plus 2 vouchers totaling $500, or reimbursement up to $400 for making other travel arrangements plus $200 voucher. They never told us to use any specific website and since all flights to New Orleans out of Philly that day were well over $500, I ended up buying a ticket on Spirit to f;y to MSY from BWI and drove to BWI. I sent in all the necessary paperwork to frontier via their website link about 3 1/2 weeks ago and finally just received confirmation to look for my check in the next 4-5 days.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by liberty805
The system is a little slow, but it works. I had a canceled Frontier flight PHL-MSY back in June. After twice boarding the plane and twice being told to leave the plane while they investigated the problem, they eventually canceled the flight. They gave us each a letter explaining basically the same 2 options--either full refund plus 2 vouchers totaling $500, or reimbursement up to $400 for making other travel arrangements plus $200 voucher. They never told us to use any specific website and since all flights to New Orleans out of Philly that day were well over $500, I ended up buying a ticket on Spirit to f;y to MSY from BWI and drove to BWI. I sent in all the necessary paperwork to frontier via their website link about 3 1/2 weeks ago and finally just received confirmation to look for my check in the next 4-5 days.
Thanks for sharing! I went with the second option too. Just curious - after you submitted the paperwork through their website (just receipts, right?), you got an email with an incident number (that's what I got at least). Did you get any other confirmation or correspondence that they are processing your reimbursement request or anything?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:26 pm

Correct. I got the incident number email right away and then didn't hear anything until this past weekend-3 weeks later- when they emailed saying my claim was approved and I should receive a check in the mail in the next 5 days.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
This happened to me TTN-MCO a few weeks ago. I used that website to book EWR-MCO flying the next morning and I had a check from Frontier in my hands within 2 weeks. They did not reimburse my New Jersey Transit train ticket to Newark or my hotel bill though.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Originally Posted by SUPERTRAVEL
This happened to me TTN-MCO a few weeks ago. I used that website to book EWR-MCO flying the next morning and I had a check from Frontier in my hands within 2 weeks. They did not reimburse my New Jersey Transit train ticket to Newark or my hotel bill though.
Did they offer you to take one of their flights out of PHL? Just curious. I've flown them like a dozen times and only one time did my flight get canceled ironically TTN-MCO. They flew an extra trip about 24 hours after the original flight and I got a $200 voucher. But this was back in January 2013 when they weren't flying out of PHL and only had 2 flights a week from Trenton
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: frontier cancellation
It’s time for a class action suit

Has anyone actually received a reimbursement check?I think as quiet as it’s kept, this is a good, d fashioned scam. I mean the type where you’ll forget about it while they keep making false promises. Why did they promise to send a check within 14 business days? Why weren’t we contacted early enough to avoid the hassle and traffic of arriving at the gate to learn of cancellation? And check this out- when customers insisted on a reason, we were told, “ because the crew was tired! “
And ease tell me why the information page we received had the wrong dates on it. My flight was October 15. The notice they passed out had Tuesday,October 2.
In fine print on the bottom of the page it reads, “ this letter is only applicable to passengers traveling on flight 1073 PHL- SAT, October 2, 2018,.
Like I said it’s time to sue this con artists
Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:56 am

Frontier has been and is very short of pilots. They are selectively cancelling flights. They reached a agreement on a new contract recently which will raise pay substantially and should aide in pilot recruitment if the contract ratifies. The new contract still leaves pay below industry standards so ratification is not a sure thing.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: frontier cancellation
And what about my money

i am only concerned about getting my money back! So anyone who wants to jump on the class action, please do it now!
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Jeff767
Frontier has been and is very short of pilots. They are selectively cancelling flights. They reached a agreement on a new contract recently which will raise pay substantially and should aide in pilot recruitment if the contract ratifies. The new contract still leaves pay below industry standards so ratification is not a sure thing.
Where do you get your information? As far as I can find the Pilots Union has warned about an eventual "meltdown" which Management disputes. According to the latest DoT reports Frontier's cancellation rates are middle of the pack and far from the worst reporting airlines.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Where do you get your information? As far as I can find the Pilots Union has warned about an eventual "meltdown" which Management disputes. According to the latest DoT reports Frontier's cancellation rates are middle of the pack and far from the worst reporting airlines.
How old are your statistics?
https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/f...d-delayed.html

July 2018 is the last month I can find stats for. In July Frontier was performing better than in the fall.

Highest Marketing Carrier Rates of Canceled Flights (ATCR Table 6)
  1. Frontier Airlines – 3.8 percent
  2. American Airlines Network – 3.0 percent
  3. JetBlue Airways – 2.4 percent
Their ontime rate in July was last at 59%.

Last edited by Jeff767; Nov 15, 2018 at 7:49 am
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Those statistics, bad as they are, do not paint the full bad story. Legacy carriers have interline agreements. F9 does not. This means that if your F9 flight is delayed, you may cancel for a refund or wait however many days it may be until there is availability. It is not only the fact that cancellations and delays happen, it is what the operating carrier does about them. In F9's case, it is nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.