Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Splitting Up Family

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Splitting Up Family

Just curious how it is legal to split a family up if they cannot afford or refuse to purchase seats. Like, how can my 2 year old sit with a bunch of strangers?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:24 am

I think there is a law, but no regulations have ever been issued. Frontier will generally try to seat people together at the airport if requested.. Their seat assignment system seems to seat people on the same reservation together.

I've seen many people claim they can't afford things when in reality they simply are unwilling to pay or value other things over the things they "can't afford".

Has this actually ever happened to anyone?
Old Jul 8, 2018, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I think there is a law, but no regulations have ever been issued. Frontier will generally try to seat people together at the airport if requested.. Their seat assignment system seems to seat people on the same reservation together.

I've seen many people claim they can't afford things when in reality they simply are unwilling to pay or value other things over the things they "can't afford".

Has this actually ever happened to anyone?
Well our "budget airlines" tickets were about a half a year's income. So I am not sure where you think I am hiding money. Such an offensive reply.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA, SPG
Originally Posted by dinuguan
Well our "budget airlines" tickets were about a half a year's income...
Geez, where are you flying to? The moon?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gordonlee33
Geez, where are you flying to? The moon?
Over the Pacific.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:21 pm

Over the Pacific.
What does that have to do with Frontier Airlines? The cost of reserving a seat on Frontier is less that $20. Sometimes context is important.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
What does that have to do with Frontier Airlines? The cost of reserving a seat on Frontier is less that $20. Sometimes context is important.
Final destination. I do not think Frontier flies to the moon though. Does it?

And $200 is still a lot. Especially for a budget airline. Unless you would be willing to pay it?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:24 am

And $200 is still a lot. Especially for a budget airline. Unless you would be willing to pay it?
Well, I guess it really depends here. Budget airline is relative. I have seen cases where a flight on Frontier is more than on another carrier. I would never pay more for a Frontier flight than any other carrier.

However, when purchasing Frontier I have to keep in mind the add-ons that I require. One of those requirements if I am flying with my family, is that we sit together. So I add in the cost of seating and compare with the other airline. Most of the time even with the add ons I require, Frontier is still less.

But again, sometimes adding things up Fontier comes out as more expensive than other airlines. It is very rare, but it happens.

Can you give an example of what you paid versus what the other airlines would charge?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Frontier does not fly "over the Pacific" (unless you consider landing to the East on approach to SFO "over the Pacific") so OP is perhaps complaining about the wrong air carrier.
2. There is no US law requiring that families be seated together.
3. Even countries which require an acommodation only do so for one adult not the family. Thus, in your case, if you want to be assured of a 2 YOA seated next to a parent, you would pay $20 or $40 (not $200 as you state).

Rather than posting vague terms such as "over the Pacific" please post your entire exact routing.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
1. Frontier does not fly "over the Pacific" (unless you consider landing to the East on approach to SFO "over the Pacific") so OP is perhaps complaining about the wrong air carrier.
2. There is no US law requiring that families be seated together.
3. Even countries which require an acommodation only do so for one adult not the family. Thus, in your case, if you want to be assured of a 2 YOA seated next to a parent, you would pay $20 or $40 (not $200 as you state).

Rather than posting vague terms such as "over the Pacific" please post your entire exact routing.
Our final destination is in Asia.

It's $200 for seats, actually.

And this is one more reason to get out of this worthless country.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something

And posting such things is expected to inspire people to help you?

You bought tickets on an ultra low cost carrier. With alacarte pricing on everything. Their often very cheap base fare includes no extras in most cases. If you’re not sure what you’re buying, investigate further.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wallyboag
Well, I guess it really depends here. Budget airline is relative. I have seen cases where a flight on Frontier is more than on another carrier. I would never pay more for a Frontier flight than any other carrier.

However, when purchasing Frontier I have to keep in mind the add-ons that I require. One of those requirements if I am flying with my family, is that we sit together. So I add in the cost of seating and compare with the other airline. Most of the time even with the add ons I require, Frontier is still less.

But again, sometimes adding things up Fontier comes out as more expensive than other airlines. It is very rare, but it happens.

Can you give an example of what you paid versus what the other airlines would charge?
Frontier is cheaper. That is why we are doing them. But that is besides the point. Would not matte if it were $15 flights in stead of $1,500.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT

I had no idea that Frontier Airlines had a new route to Asia, cold you provide the complete route please, as it seems the wrong carrier is being discussed here. Safe travels.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

This entire story is fishy.

Frontier does not interline with any other carrier. Therefore, OP's destination is in the US. He may well and apparently does have separate tickets on some other carrier for a flight from the US to Asia. But, that is none of Frontier's concern and Frontier certainly is not charging OP $200 for a seat assignment on a Frontier flight.

I'll take OP's offensive and uncalled for comments as frustration at being called out for his having made a poor decision.
wallyboag likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:56 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
In view of the continuing intemperate language used, which has resulted in a number of post deletions, this thread is permanently locked.

NWIFlyer
Senior Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.