Wiki Posts
Search

In Flight CC offer

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2015, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Question In Flight CC offer

It seems like a no brainer.

40,500 points for signing up, paying $69 and making one purchase with the card.

Is there a catch? I know they charge 10,000 pts. per one way trip but can I get these for my wife too? Or it is only me that can redeem them?

After the bonus points I'm not so sure about the value, I have more numbers to crunch but it seems that I would be paying $69 for two round trip tix if I never make another purchase with the card.

What do you all think?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
No catch really. You do however have to pay the taxes on the flight of $11.20 roundtrip. As far as your wife. She too can get a card (subject to credit approval) and issue the tickets to whomever she wants. As far as after you get the reward, you can switch to the non annual fee card at the end of the year and still get the reward redemption fee (under 6 months) waived. Also make sure you use your card from time to time to keep your miles active as miles expire after 6 months of non FF activity.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
No catch really. You do however have to pay the taxes on the flight of $11.20 roundtrip. As far as your wife. She too can get a card (subject to credit approval) and issue the tickets to whomever she wants. As far as after you get the reward, you can switch to the non annual fee card at the end of the year and still get the reward redemption fee (under 6 months) waived. Also make sure you use your card from time to time to keep your miles active as miles expire after 6 months of non FF activity.
Thank you for your help. As long as I can redeem for a ticket for her I am going to take them up on this offer.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by jmwIII
Thank you for your help. As long as I can redeem for a ticket for her I am going to take them up on this offer.
Keep in mind Frontier also charges ridiculous 'close in ticketing' fees, so if you book less than 180 days out (I think, don't quote me on that number), you have to pay additional fees to book your award flight. They also tack on other stupid fees as well, like carry-on bags, checked bags, advance seat assignments, etc.

Seems like you're happy with frontier, but if I were in your position, I'd take a close look at Southwest's 50,000 mile offer instead.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Cohall
Keep in mind Frontier also charges ridiculous 'close in ticketing' fees, so if you book less than 180 days out
If you have the credit card and charge the $5.60 on it you don't have to pay the fees.

Days booked before departure

180+ 21-179 7-20 <6 days
EarlyReturns Base Member

FREE $15 $50 $75
Frontier MasterCard member

FREE FREE FREE FREE

Frontier Elite Member

FREE FREE FREE FREE
Old Jul 21, 2015, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
If you have the credit card and charge the $5.60 on it you don't have to pay the fees.
Ahh. Interesting. I didn't know that (obviously). Thanks for the correction. I guess it's important then to book all flights either far in advance, or prior to cancelling the card.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Cohall
Ahh. Interesting. I didn't know that (obviously). Thanks for the correction. I guess it's important then to book all flights either far in advance, or prior to cancelling the card.
If you have the card you can also use it to keep your miles alive. Simply put one small monthly charge on it pay off it each month and you miles last forever.

There is even a version of the card with no annual fee.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 7:55 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Yep and the no annual fee version also waives the award fee
Old Jul 22, 2015, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

I will check the SW offer.

No redemption fees if you are using the card and make one purchase every six months to keep the points active.

I don't mind the add on fees. With their system you pay for what you use so I'm not paying for your "free" checked bags or your snacks. If I want them I'll pay for them.

I've traveled before by plane for three weeks at a time with just a carry-on, I don't think I can swing it with just the one personal item.

They certainly keep the over head luggage compartments empty by charging more for a carry on than a checked bag.

Off to check some other offers, thanks again.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 8:03 am

DO NOT use a hard credit card application for F9! Look at the southwest card (and investigate the Companion Pass-the greatest FF benefit going). American offers and United offers will get you across water. Alaska miles are hugely flexible. F9 has very limited 10k offers, and you will then pay for booking close-in (they don't release flights until 3-months out and then charge to book them--test this now!), pay for bag, pay for seat assignment, pay for a drink. If you use awards on another airline, its the security fee. Period. F9 miles are worth about 25% of other airlines miles. NOT worth a hard credit pull.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist -> AA Executive Platinum, BAEC Gold, Spirit Lifetime Somebody
Originally Posted by aghadden
DO NOT use a hard credit card application for F9! Look at the southwest card (and investigate the Companion Pass-the greatest FF benefit going). American offers and United offers will get you across water. Alaska miles are hugely flexible. F9 has very limited 10k offers, and you will then pay for booking close-in (they don't release flights until 3-months out and then charge to book them--test this now!), pay for bag, pay for seat assignment, pay for a drink. If you use awards on another airline, its the security fee. Period. F9 miles are worth about 25% of other airlines miles. NOT worth a hard credit pull.
Completely agree. F9 is only worth it when they're significantly cheaper than their competition (they've offered $19 SFO-LAS and SFO-PHX, $39 ATL-IND and ATL-PHL, $59 LAS-IAD fares for example). And their miles are pretty much worthless... I'd say 25% is being generous!
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by aghadden
DO NOT use a hard credit card application for F9!
This seems a little harsh. Depending on your situation Frontier may be a good fit for some people, it is for me. I will save a few thousand dollars this year flying them after switching from Southwest. I may decide the credit card is worth it. I don't churn cards for points but look at the specific benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.