FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Frontier Airlines | Frontier Miles Program (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frontier-airlines-frontier-miles-program-668/)
-   -   ILG Service Gutted? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frontier-airlines-frontier-miles-program/1595954-ilg-service-gutted.html)

winstoda Aug 23, 2014 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by rtalk25 (Post 23411107)
I'd guess that F9 doesn't have confidence in ILG for a focus city anymore. DEN and MCO only? Maybe but very limited.

Sure looks that way. Guessing they might keep the Florida destinations - MCO, TPA, maybe PBI in the future since they seem to be selling well. But not sure why they would add back DEN... customers booking these Florida flights aren't looking to hook into the rest of F9's network... and I think they'd rather work out a way to provide DEN service to their truly successful focus city, TTN.

Just noticed TPA goes away for the month of November as well. Only MCO is bookable in November... TPA seems to return in December and settles into twice a week service.

delawareguy Aug 24, 2014 6:24 pm

I don't think they would end service simply because they did not have confidence in ILG's ability to sustain service during November, they would not have done this unless it was absolutely necessary, which could be due to some of the new routes recently announced, an expiring lease, the new seats etc. They would be risking the bad press of cancelling the flights for those who booked after October 25, so this must have been for some unforeseen variable. It should also be noted that DEN-SUX is being listed as discontinued while ILG-DEN, ATL, MDW is still listed as seasonal.

winstoda Aug 24, 2014 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by delawareguy (Post 23417511)
I don't think they would end service simply because they did not have confidence in ILG's ability to sustain service during November, they would not have done this unless it was absolutely necessary, which could be due to some of the new routes recently announced, an expiring lease, the new seats etc. They would be risking the bad press of cancelling the flights for those who booked after October 25, so this must have been for some unforeseen variable. It should also be noted that DEN-SUX is being listed as discontinued while ILG-DEN, ATL, MDW is still listed as seasonal.

I'm not so sure, I know you have the personal assurance of the CEO but the fare information that rtalk25 posted is telling. How much can they be making here versus the other cities he listed? And how much of a focus airport could New Castle County Airport be at this point? Don't you have to focus on a focus city?

davywavy Aug 24, 2014 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by delawareguy (Post 23417511)

New owners - new priorities.

Indigo is being quite ruthless with the winter schedule, the experience is that (cold weather to cold weather) leisure traffic falls off a cliff in January - it is not a business oriented airline.

So TTN-BNA and TTN-DTW go seasonal, as does DEN-LIT. Even IAD loses a couple.

CLE, on the other hand, gets serious increases in frequency and on the obvious routes - CLE-LAS and CLE-RSW (both to daily), CLE-PHX to 4 x weekly (despite Southwest jumping on the route) and CLE-MCO to (almost) double daily - 12 x weekly.

It's a serious reimagining of the winter route map. Almost all the adds - everywhere - are to warm weather destinations and who knows if it is done yet. The other interesting thing is the willingness to head-butt with Southwest.

delawareguy Aug 24, 2014 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by winstoda (Post 23417562)
I'm not so sure, I know you have the personal assurance of the CEO but the fare information that rtalk25 posted is telling. How much can they be making here versus the other cities he listed? And how much of a focus airport could New Castle County Airport be at this point? Don't you have to focus on a focus city?

I don't put much faith in David Siegel, maybe I should email Franke and see what he says. ATL was not executed right in the limited frequencies and the morning departures shared with TTN, if it does come back hopefully it comes back with better times.
This Tuesday which is their worst day while Thursday and Sunday seem to do well.
ILG-ATL $57 departs 7:10am
TTN-ATL $64 departs 5:55am.
I don't understand why they would fly 3 times a week to a city that does not attract as many leisure travelers as say MDW. I would rather they have flown just to ATL six times a week and attracted a healthy combination of leisure and business travelers. It should be noted that these decisions were made pre Indigo and I think the logic was if it worked at TTN, it'll work at ILG.

rtalk25 Aug 24, 2014 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by davywavy (Post 23417594)
New owners - new priorities.

Indigo is being quite ruthless with the winter schedule, the experience is that (cold weather to cold weather) leisure traffic falls off a cliff in January - it is not a business oriented airline.

So TTN-BNA and TTN-DTW go seasonal, as does DEN-LIT. Even IAD loses a couple.

CLE, on the other hand, gets serious increases in frequency and on the obvious routes - CLE-LAS and CLE-RSW (both to daily), CLE-PHX to 4 x weekly (despite Southwest jumping on the route) and CLE-MCO to (almost) double daily - 12 x weekly.

It's a serious reimagining of the winter route map. Almost all the adds - everywhere - are to warm weather destinations and who knows if it is done yet. The other interesting thing is the willingness to head-butt with Southwest.

I think the plane that was based in ILG will be leaving ILG earlier. This might accomodate more CLE flying or it's to be based in MCO earlier but for more CLE flying.

One can't really blame Frontier as CLE is more underserved than the PHL/BWI region where ILG is targeting, and Frontier will go where it can money.

I wonder if Frontier will get into PIT. Like CLE, it's a main airport of the region, roughly the same size of CLE, and I think the market is underserved as well from Southwest and the legacy carriers. Cold city in the winter and ideal for Florida and between CLE and IAD so may have some benefits for Frontier awareness. Plus, I've heard United is downsizing it's footprint in PIT including reduced service on PIT-DEN. Frontier seems to do well flying to United hubs in markets with United downsizing.

And now Frontier is willing to go head on against Southwest as you mentioned. I'd guess it'd do PIT-ATL, PIT-ORD and PIT-MCO/TPA/RSW and maybe PIT-LAS, and could eventually get into limited Carribbean or international from both PIT and CLE.

Another market I could see Frontier expanding is in RDU where Southwest has been stagnant, and maybe even operating a limited RDU-UST and RDU-MCO/TPA (against Southwest) and RDU-PHX (which lost Southwest) and maybe LAS, RDU-ORD or MKE.

I was kind of surprised TTN-BNA was originally continued in the deep Winter. It was just a Monday/Friday service which was rather odd for VFR over a Sunday/Thursday, and Southwest offers EWR-BNA and PHL-BNA.

davywavy Aug 24, 2014 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by delawareguy (Post 23417640)
I don't put much faith in David Siegel,

I am sorry to read that. Siegel is the man who (in cahoots with Bedford) was responsible for persuading Republic that Frontier could be made viable.

And he has done so. TTN wouldn't exist without him, nor would ILG, and he's the man who made Frontier attractive to Indigo as that viable airline.

delawareguy Aug 24, 2014 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by davywavy (Post 23417949)
I am sorry to read that. Siegel is the man who (in cahoots with Bedford) was responsible for persuading Republic that Frontier could be made viable.

And he has done so. TTN wouldn't exist without him, nor would ILG, and he's the man who made Frontier attractive to Indigo as that viable airline.

I only say that for what I feel was the bad execution of ILG, when IAH failed, they seemed afraid to try something different, so they just went with limited service to two cities that did well at TTN. I agree, Frontier on the whole would not be where it is today without him, I just wish he would have taken advantage of ILG's longer runway more and done something different. If they do stay, I hope they do try something different come spring even if that means some routes not coming back.

davywavy Aug 24, 2014 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by delawareguy (Post 23418013)
I only say that for what I feel was the bad execution of ILG, when IAH failed, they seemed afraid to try something different, so they just went with limited service to two cities that did well at TTN.

It wasn't all based on TTN. Frontier now has five other routes at ATL, whereas when Siegel took over it had one.

But again, without Siegel it is unlikely that ILG (or TTN) would have happened at all.

Jerseyguy Aug 24, 2014 10:55 pm

As far as using the longer runway, the only thing I can think of that might be worth while is a redeye flight from somewhere like LAS or LAX, this would allow them to get more utilization out of the plane. In general long flights arent as profitable for ULCCs

EricR111 Aug 25, 2014 3:52 am

Frankly, I think the talk of the death of F9 service at ILG is premature. I will grant you, that it is not a priority on par with CLE or IAD, so given the scarcity of aircraft for Frontier at the moment (especially if talk of taking them out of service for new seats is accurate), then the planes are being allocated where they can see the most potential revenue - that is building up bases at the two above airports. Load factors from ILG to Florida have been good, and I venture that once some of these planes are back in service, and perhaps a couple can be leased, you will see more service from ILG. Will it be on part with TTN? No, of course not. But I think that 4,000 + available seats per week, mostly to Florida, is a stable, long term and achievable goal.

winstoda Aug 25, 2014 7:21 am

Originally Posted by EricR111 (Post 23419149)
Frankly, I think the talk of the death of F9 service at ILG is premature. I will grant you, that it is not a priority on par with CLE or IAD, so given the scarcity of aircraft for Frontier at the moment (especially if talk of taking them out of service for new seats is accurate), then the planes are being allocated where they can see the most potential revenue - that is building up bases at the two above airports. Load factors from ILG to Florida have been good, and I venture that once some of these planes are back in service, and perhaps a couple can be leased, you will see more service from ILG. Will it be on part with TTN? No, of course not. But I think that 4,000 + available seats per week, mostly to Florida, is a stable, long term and achievable goal.

I agree with this... I think ILG drops from a focus city to just a station in F9's network. I think Florida will work well here as it has till now. I also think other purely leisure destinations might work too if F9 is feeling generous - LAS or MYR (I personally don't get the appeal but the low cost carriers seem to love it). But to bring back the business destinations makes no sense unless it's done purely to create a TTN lite south of PHL.

iahphx Aug 25, 2014 8:24 am

ILG service will continue to fail until they pick a destination with enough demand and offer at least 5x a week service there. Otherwise, the yields will suck.

EricR111 Aug 25, 2014 9:19 am

Originally Posted by winstoda (Post 23419832)
I agree with this... I think ILG drops from a focus city to just a station in F9's network. I think Florida will work well here as it has till now. I also think other purely leisure destinations might work too if F9 is feeling generous - LAS or MYR (I personally don't get the appeal but the low cost carriers seem to love it). But to bring back the business destinations makes no sense unless it's done purely to create a TTN lite south of PHL.

I did wonder why F9 did not try MYR for the spring and summer from TTN. My guess is that Myrtle Beach is seen as a little too blue-collar/"red state" for the generally more "blue-statist" clientele that TTN serves.

As for LAS, even if you write off service from TTN because of the short runway, I thought ILG would be a possibility, at least with an A320. I do wonder though, at over 2150 air miles, if the route would require a bigger plane, like an A321 to be profitable - I would guess about 200 passengers - and if so, could even ILG's longest runway (7271') accomodate an A321 to go that distance?

EricR111 Aug 25, 2014 9:28 am

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 23420163)
ILG service will continue to fail until they pick a destination with enough demand and offer at least 5x a week service there. Otherwise, the yields will suck.

I don't agree, especially if they go to A319s rather than A320s. Allegiant has flights from ABE to several tourist locations from ABE, likely a comparable market, at less frequency, and does fine.

I would say that they have to be at least 3x/week, but I do not think 5x is a necessary minimum. Probably only MCO would draw enough for 5 times/week, but if you cover the full week or close to it at FLL/PBI (3x at each), and maybe 3x weekly to TPA and RSW (the latter actually had a good load factor on an A320), you could likely fill 17-18 A319s/week, maybe even making a few of those an A320. That still leaves other possible tourist destinations, like NAS, UST/JAX, MYR and LAS which could also work on less than 5x/week.

The key is to get people to the airport once, and I think they will come back. I am not far from TTN, and once I flew in and out of there, even parked in the remote lot, I saw that the convenience of the place far outweighed the hassles of PHL or EWR.