Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frontier needs the Luv now. MOVE OVER SW!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:15 pm

I used to love Frontier... and I used to fly Frontier DEN-MDW and back on a regular basis until two years ago when they delayed one of my flights for 5 hours without any updates and no assistance (no one at the counter). They cancelled the last flight (following mine) before they cancelled my flight so those customers booked up all other available flights and cars. My flight was supposedly cancelled due to weather and the other flight was cancelled due to mechanical issues. When I called them, they couldn't get me on another flight for 5 days so I found one last car, a couple of people (from the other flight) and we drove. I only received a credit for my flight while they got a credit and a refund for the car/gas/ and some other benefits. I didn't appreciate any of it. I don't care for the $20 bag charge and they significantly reduced my options for flying my route. I've had no problems with Southwest, I don't have to pay for luggage, I have many flights to choose from on any given day, the prices are low, and I get to pick my own seats. It would be sad to see a denver airline go out of business but for me SW just makes more sense.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by DenverF9Flier
I "cheated" on Frontier with SW twice this last year, once due to a route that Frontier didn't fly, and again due to significantly better price/schedule. SW comped A-List status to Frontier FF's for the end of the year so I got to experience their elite experience as well.

Trip 2, arrived in LGA at the crack of dawn, only to sit for 3 hours due to a mechanical issue before the flight took off. No apology, voucher, compensation, or anything else sent after-the-fact.
If the delay was mechanical and was over 3 hours, then you are owed a voucher by WN's own rules. I would call on this one and ask where your voucher is. We had a flight delayed 3hr 15m and got a $100 voucher. In addition, they are supposed to make beverages available in the gate area -- again WN's policy.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zodi
I used to love Frontier... and I used to fly Frontier DEN-MDW and back on a regular basis until two years ago when they delayed one of my flights for 5 hours without any updates and no assistance (no one at the counter). They cancelled the last flight (following mine) before they cancelled my flight so those customers booked up all other available flights and cars. My flight was supposedly cancelled due to weather and the other flight was cancelled due to mechanical issues. When I called them, they couldn't get me on another flight for 5 days so I found one last car, a couple of people (from the other flight) and we drove. I only received a credit for my flight while they got a credit and a refund for the car/gas/ and some other benefits. I didn't appreciate any of it. I don't care for the $20 bag charge and they significantly reduced my options for flying my route. I've had no problems with Southwest, I don't have to pay for luggage, I have many flights to choose from on any given day, the prices are low, and I get to pick my own seats. It would be sad to see a denver airline go out of business but for me SW just makes more sense.
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Zodi. What month was your cancelled flights years ago? Was it in Dec or January, with holiday seasons, snowstorms, etc? 5 days seems long to get you on another flight.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Earthlings
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Zodi. What month was your cancelled flights years ago? Was it in Dec or January, with holiday seasons, snowstorms, etc? 5 days seems long to get you on another flight.
Thanks for the welcome. The flight was cancelled in February or March. They did have some bad weather in Denver in the morning but by the afternoon, planes were taking off. I know problems/weather come up but it's important, IMHO, how those situations are handled. Do airlines really expect you to wait 5 days for another flight? It doesn't sound reasonable to me...
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, WN CP, Marriott Gold
So were you able to sit next to your companion on TRIP 1? Did you try to save the seat next to the person with your jacket or bag? Or did someone want to sit in your row and take the seat with someone else?
I was able to sit next to my companion, but I knew enough from reading the SW forum to check her in exactly at T-24 to get a decent boarding number, as well as to sit around row 5-6 and not try and save an exit or otherwise highly-prized seat. I was asked by a few people if they could have the seat and replied politely that I was hoping to save it for someone... didn't have any trouble with that answer but it did raise the blood pressure a bit. Not that it would have been the end of the world to fly separately, but the whole uncertainty piece was unpleasant for me.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zodi
Thanks for the welcome. The flight was cancelled in February or March. They did have some bad weather in Denver in the morning but by the afternoon, planes were taking off. I know problems/weather come up but it's important, IMHO, how those situations are handled. Do airlines really expect you to wait 5 days for another flight? It doesn't sound reasonable to me...
That is odd. So no really explanation from Frontier besides their excuse for mechanical and weather? People would have work in those 5 days, so, why would they expect someone to wait 5 days. Did you call Frontier customer service when you got home and told them what had happened?

Originally Posted by DenverF9Flier
I was able to sit next to my companion, but I knew enough from reading the SW forum to check her in exactly at T-24 to get a decent boarding number, as well as to sit around row 5-6 and not try and save an exit or otherwise highly-prized seat. I was asked by a few people if they could have the seat and replied politely that I was hoping to save it for someone... didn't have any trouble with that answer but it did raise the blood pressure a bit. Not that it would have been the end of the world to fly separately, but the whole uncertainty piece was unpleasant for me.
I just find it crazy that on SW you have to ask people if you could sit next to you. It's kind of annoying actually. I just like the simple seating assignments on every other airlines.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:00 pm

That is odd. So no really explanation from Frontier besides their excuse for mechanical and weather? People would have work in those 5 days, so, why would they expect someone to wait 5 days. Did you call Frontier customer service when you got home and told them what had happened?

I just find it crazy that on SW you have to ask people if you could sit next to you. It's kind of annoying actually. I just like the simple seating assignments on every other airlines.
I called Frontier and explained what happened, they said they didn't have a crew to fly the plane (weather related), and didn't have anything to offer. I was shocked; I've flown with them so many times, never a problem, always an amazing service and then this. I started flying SW and I'm happy.

As far as the arrangement on SW, you line up in order of when you checked in and when you enter the plane you take whatever available seat you want. If you want to sit next to someone, you should make sure to check in early and check in together. You're not supposed to hold the seat for anyone because that defeats the whole open seating arrangement. I get really annoyed and frustrated when people hold seats for others that are behind me in order. I've flown with other people before and made sure we end up in a seat together and when there were no two seats together, we set apart. It's not the end of the world.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Frontier needs a lounge at DEN. It would be ahead of Southwest on something.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 7:30 am

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
Frontier needs a lounge at DEN. It would be ahead of Southwest on something.
Buy an AA Admirals Club membership. With that you have the lounge on Concourse A at DEN, and you can probably use it at some other airports as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.