Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Frontier Airlines | Frontier Miles Program
Reload this Page >

question related to baggage fees with connecting flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2012, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Wasnt sure where to place this question

In about a month I need to go to Quebec Canada, I need to take my bike with me. I have found a ticket from sacramento to quebec that leaves sacramento with frontier (which doesnt charge for bikes) but then it connect with AA.

My question is, would i be charge for the bike, Ill be dropping off the bike in sacramento and I will not see it again until I land in quebec.

Any input if appreciated.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 2:55 pm

Generally for interline connections, the original carrier is the one whose fees apply. Frontier doesn't charge to put a bike on their planes, and they're not going to collect a baggage fee for another carrier.

I am a tad more concerned that they'll check a bike through all the way to Quebec. I have no experience to suggest that this will be a problem, so perhaps it will be fine. But it would not be a massive surprise if the interline agreement that gets your bags transferred automatically might break down when it comes to a bike.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by knope2001
Generally for interline connections, the original carrier is the one whose fees apply. Frontier doesn't charge to put a bike on their planes, and they're not going to collect a baggage fee for another carrier.

I am a tad more concerned that they'll check a bike through all the way to Quebec. I have no experience to suggest that this will be a problem, so perhaps it will be fine. But it would not be a massive surprise if the interline agreement that gets your bags transferred automatically might break down when it comes to a bike.
+1 - Hopefully OP has called both carriers to determine how they handle bicycles, both as to interline and as to crating and the like. Also, important to get the same information for the return.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 3:46 pm

Good idea to contact both carriers. And btw, welcome to flyertalk, yohuallin!
Old Jun 25, 2012, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by yohuallin

Welcome to FlyerTalk.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Thank you guys, I am finding great information on the site. I do plan on contacting both carriers, but it seems that every time i call the information I get is only based on the agents experience. I figured people here would probably have more experienced than those agents :-/
Old Jun 25, 2012, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by RSVP
Welcome to FlyerTalk.
+1

If you are comfortable with social media, you might want to tweet AA
https://twitter.com/#!/AmericanAir
and
Frontier https://twitter.com/#!/frontiercare with your question.

That way, you will have a written reply, in case you need/want back-up on the policy during your travels. They may ask you to DM your reservation details.

If you do receive clarification on the policy, please share the info here. Hope you get the answer you are looking for.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 12:02 am

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by yohuallin
Wasnt sure where to place this question

In about a month I need to go to Quebec Canada, I need to take my bike with me. I have found a ticket from sacramento to quebec that leaves sacramento with frontier (which doesnt charge for bikes) but then it connect with AA.

My question is, would i be charge for the bike, Ill be dropping off the bike in sacramento and I will not see it again until I land in quebec.

If after your calling F9 has no interline baggage agreement with AA you'll have to claim your bike at baggage claim and recheck it with AA... at whatever cost they charge.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by traveller001
If after your calling F9 has no interline baggage agreement with AA you'll have to claim your bike at baggage claim and recheck it with AA... at whatever cost they charge.
Definitely an issue for airlines which don't interline, but Frontier does have an interline agreement with American, along with about 20 other carriers. American, Korean and Icelandic are singled out as being able to issue boarding passes for each other, which suggests a higher level of coordination. So that's encouraging, at least.

http://www.frontierairlines.com/cust...r-partnerships
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:58 pm

Programs: AAPLT, RR Alist
That makes sense that if F9 has interline with AA that you wouldn't have to pay a second charge on your outbound flight.

However, keep in mind on your return flight, the bike fee will depend on which airline operates the first flight, so if it's AA, you'll get hit with a $150 fee for the bike, instead of Frontier's most reasonable fee of free or $20.

(example...if going out, you go from F9 to AA, but the return is an AA flight connecting to F9)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.