Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Route Cuts Including Newark

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:47 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Frontier EarlyReturns Summit
Originally Posted by mke9499
A post on airliners.net says that Best Care Club at MKE closes 05/31/2012.

How much longer will it be until F9 moves from D Concourse at MKE?
I'm not entirely sure why they think they'll move out of D. Yeah they'll downsize a ton but I'd more expect another airline to move to D and join them. Maybe American.

I agree that it's is unlikely that MKE will be restored in the foreseeable future. It is too bad. I wonder if they had had more E90s (like was planned) they would have kept more in MKE or if the losses were still that bad where it made sense to move them.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 1:50 am

I'm told that MKE-LGA and MKE-DCA are only "safe" through the summer schedule.

Frontier has really struggled on the core legacy Midwest routes. From MKE, LGA, DCA, DFW, and BOS tended to be the true bread & butter routes for Midwest. While the hyper-competitive fare environment is definately a factor, I have to point the finger at Republic for really screwing-up the MKE operations. Looking back, Bedford said time and time again that they did not have the right assets in MKE to compete effectively (namely the smaller and less economical E170s and of course the small regional jets). Yet, there never seemed to be a priority to bring most of the E190s to MKE where they could have been used effectively early on to keep AirTran in check. Then they had the real blunder last winter by upgauging BOS/LGA/DCA to Airbus jets when traffic weakens significantly. The resulting huge losses shouldn't have been a surprise.

I think it's quite likely that by fall Frontier may only be operating MKE-DEN.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 6:06 am

How much has changed in a ten-month span!

Apr 14, 2011
MILWAUKEE (April 14, 2011) – Frontier Airlines, a wholly owned subsidiary of Republic Airways Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ: RJET), expands its Wisconsin service on April 18, 2011, with the addition of its fifth destination in the Badger state – Rhinelander Oneida County Airport (RHI).

Frontier will launch daily nonstop service between its hub at Milwaukee’s General Mitchell International Airport (MKE) and Rhinelander. The service in both directions will include continuing service to Ironwood Gogebic-Iron County Airport (IWD) in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. The route will be operated on Frontier’s 37-seat Embraer 135 jet aircraft.

Our new service reflects Frontier’s ongoing commitment to providing the people of Wisconsin with convenient and affordable air travel,” said Daniel Shurz, Vice President of Strategy and Planning. “Travelers from throughout the state can now enjoy our reliable service to Milwaukee and connections to more than 70 destinations across the United States, Mexico and Costa Rica.”

Also on April 18, the carrier will begin nonstop service between Milwaukee and Manistee County Blacker Airport (MBL) in Michigan.

In addition to the new Wisconsin and Michigan service, Frontier is enhancing and expanding its service from Milwaukee to destinations outside the Midwest. On April 4, the airline added a fourth frequency to New York-La Guardia International Airport (LGA) and on May 13 will add a fourth frequency to Boston Logan International Airport (BOS). It will also add nonstop service between Milwaukee and San Francisco International Airport (SFO) and Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA) beginning May 13, and between Milwaukee and San Diego International Airport (SAN) starting May 14. Additionally, Frontier has extended its seasonal service between Milwaukee and Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL) until May 12; that service was originally scheduled to end April 17.

“These routes are popular with both business and leisure travelers. The increased frequencies and new nonstop service will make it easier than ever for our guests to find a schedule that meets their needs,” Shurz pointed out.
Emphasis added to copy.

It won't be long before the current Frontier schedule will look like Frontier's pre-YX schedule at MKE. What original YX routes will be left, systemwide, after the Frontier service slashing?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 7:15 am

Programs: Midwest Miles, AirTran A+ Rewards
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe2000
I think it's quite likely that by fall Frontier may only be operating MKE-DEN.
I second that thought. By year's end they will only need one gate at MKE.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 8:27 am

Story from the Business Journal regarding jobs at MKE, related to service cutbacks:

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee...-jobs-out.html
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Originally Posted by flyYX
I second that thought. By year's end they will only need one gate at MKE.
That may be optimistic if nobody buys the airline. They could just pull out all together.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:19 am

Programs: Marriott Gold. Usually WN or DL if in the air.
MKE has invested heavily in food & beverage concession upgrades on D; not the case on E. DL could easily move over to D and move the Sky Club to the old Best Care Club space. I don't know how or whether the DL lease agreements would permit such a move, but I bet they could make it work.

If any concourse is going to be mothballed, it should be E.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Probably not. E goes back to the NorthCentral days. It was built specifically for NC and inherited by NW and now DL. I understand Delta is happy there. They are not going to move just to play musical gates.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by tvnwz
Probably not. E goes back to the NorthCentral days. It was built specifically for NC and inherited by NW and now DL. I understand Delta is happy there. They are not going to move just to play musical gates.
It isn't tough to give a carrier an incentive to move.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:18 am

Another Business Journal story - this one with comments from MKE spokesperson Pat Rowe.

The Business Journal's Rovito was told

...that airport officials spoke with Frontier management on Thursday about the cuts.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by WIRunner
It isn't tough to give a carrier an incentive to move.
And less tough to let one of your biggest tenants stay where they are.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Frontier EarlyReturns Summit
Originally Posted by tvnwz
That may be optimistic if nobody buys the airline. They could just pull out all together.
Even before the merger, F9 had a few daily departures to DEN and seasonal CUN service out of MKE. I imagine they are willing to keep the seasonal Florida flying and if F9 takes over the Apple flying out of MKE next year they'll have a presence, but it'll be nowhere near the current levels. It's really too bad, I just made Summit and am moving back to MKE this year.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromMKE
It's really too bad, I just made Summit and am moving back to MKE this year.
Is the because you just made Summit or because you are moving back to MKE?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by mizzou65201
MKE has invested heavily in food & beverage concession upgrades on D; not the case on E. DL could easily move over to D and move the Sky Club to the old Best Care Club space. I don't know how or whether the DL lease agreements would permit such a move, but I bet they could make it work.

If any concourse is going to be mothballed, it should be E.
I'm very disappointed that things are turning out this way for Frontier and the former YX employees that are still at MKE.

Losing the BCC is a major loss for MKE, and also decreases the value of Classic Plus.

The decision makers at DL should at least consider moving to Concourse D. Taking over the BCC would give them a much better SkyClub, perhaps at a lower cost than renovating the existing Club on E (don't know whether they had any plans to remodel that one, or were planning to keep as is). This is all pure speculation.

Will the F9 call center still remain at the maintenance facility?

Last edited by newsmanhoss; Feb 10, 2012 at 2:06 pm
Old Feb 10, 2012, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
I'm very disappointed that things are turning out this way for Frontier and the former YX employees that are still at MKE.

Will the F9 call center still remain in the bowels of the D concourse?
If I'm not mistaken, I believe that the call center moved into remodeled facilities at the former YX hangar about 1-1/2 years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.