Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Direct TV question on F9

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Direct TV question on F9

Considering first time booking on F9 for my son going to attend his grandpa's funeral. Family laptop sustained fall recently so can't let him take it on the trip.

How is the fee for Direct TV collected? Is there an option for prepay on the fee on the website or is this a flight attendant directed transaction?

Thanks!
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by jan_believes
Considering first time booking on F9 for my son going to attend his grandpa's funeral. Family laptop sustained fall recently so can't let him take it on the trip.

How is the fee for Direct TV collected? Is there an option for prepay on the fee on the website or is this a flight attendant directed transaction?

Thanks!
If you are flying on an Airbus you will be able to pay for the TV by swiping your card right next to the screen. Note TV is only available on Airbus aircraft.

Nice little link for you showing you the back of one of the seats.
http://www.airlinereporter.com/wp-co...FrontierTV.jpg
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by jan_believes

Thanks!

I wasn't sure if it was included with Classic or Classic Plus fare, and best I can tell it is not. But on that topic, there is a new (or newish?) interactive grid on the website which makes it much easier to see what the different fare tiers include and what the different fare tiers include for someone with different frequent flyer status levels. That has sometimes seemed a little confusing because there were separate charts. Now you can click on your status level and see what's included at what fare levels.

https://www.frontierairlines.com/fro...fairs-chart.do

Now back to the original topic, as obviously the traveler about which the traveler asked is not a frequent flyer on Frontier. The only means of payment is by swiping a credit or debit card in the seatback -- you don't need to engage the flight attendent, and the F/A are not equiped to accept cash. However, I have seen F/A swipe their complementary TV card for minors traveling alone because obviously they don't typcially have a credit card.

If your traveler is an unaccompanied minor, I think it's standard for the F/A to turn on TV for them. If your traveler is young but old enough that they are not considered an unaccompanied minor and are flying alone, I would suggest they have $6 cash and, ask the F/A nicely if there is any way they can buy television even though they are too young to have a credit card. I would guess that it's nearly certain that either (a) the F/A will comp TV for them, or (b) an adjacent passenger with a credit card will help your traveler out (either free or by taking the $6).

I don't know if there is any firm policy to comp (or strictly not to comp) TV for minors traveling alone who would not otherwise have a credit card, but I've seen it happen more than a few times. If your son does not have a credit or debit card, I think it's still nearly certain he can get television onboard one way or another.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by knope2001
I wasn't sure if it was included with Classic or Classic Plus fare, and best I can tell it is not.
From Frontier website:

Didn't DirecTV used to be included as part of these fares?

Frontier previously included DirecTV in the amenities of both Classic and Classic Plus fares. However, DirecTV is only available on our Airbus fleet. As we have grown, our fleet now includes other aircraft that do not offer DirecTV, so we have removed DirecTV from the promised benefits of these fares. We do not want to promise DirecTV and set an expectation upon which we may fail to deliver if you travel on one of our aircraft other than an Airbus. However, if you find yourself on an Airbus flight and you are traveling on a Classic or Classic Plus fare, you will still be given free DirecTV
Old Sep 27, 2011, 1:05 pm

I like the wording and the fact they are upfront about things. Beats the typical bait and switch you can see other airlines do...
Old Sep 27, 2011, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by mke9499
From Frontier website:
However, if you find yourself on an Airbus flight and you are traveling on a Classic or Classic Plus fare, you will still be given free DirecTV.
I always thought this was the case, but wondered why it had disappeared from the amenities chart some time ago.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 2:12 pm

Thanks for hunting that down...I thought it was but thought perhaps it had been pulled since I could not find it on the website.

That makes it simple enough for the OP then...

--If your son is traveling as an unaccompanied minor (which includes the extra service fee) he should get TV included.

--If your son is old enough that he's not an official UM, then purchasing the Classic fare will pre-pay the TV charge.

The Classic fare is generally $15-$30 more than the Economy fare, but it waives the bag fee, includes TV, and has a few other less common fees (like change fees or standby fees) reduced or waived.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by knope2001
Thanks for hunting that down...I thought it was but thought perhaps it had been pulled since I could not find it on the website.
The website's booking engine could show a little DirectTV logo next to the flight number display, whenever the on-board service will be available.

The only drawback, I suppose, is that on those rare occasions when an aircraft swap is necessary, or on new equipment that does not yet have DirectTV hooked up, there would likely be some disgruntled customers.

Which brings up another question...If DirectTV is not working on your flight, and you are Summit or Ascent, or are traveling on Classic or Classic Plus ticket, are you given any extra amenity or accommodation to make up for the unavailable service?
Old Sep 27, 2011, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by mke9499
Which brings up another question...If DirectTV is not working on your flight, and you are Summit or Ascent, or are traveling on Classic or Classic Plus ticket, are you given any extra amenity or accommodation to make up for the unavailable service?
Happened to me once as a Summit. Wasn't comped anything but perhaps that's because my preferred seat is way back in 12D
Old Sep 28, 2011, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
WOW, I am really impressed by the responses given here! Thank you all!

Sure beats the wrangling I often see here where one's motives are impugned just by the question posted. There's not a "boogie man" behind every door!

Great way to keep it on track and avoid the negatives that can be attached. Thanks again for the efforts and information!

(I decided against using F9, but am still impressed with the replies to my question on this thread!)

Last edited by jan_believes; Sep 28, 2011 at 10:59 pm
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:50 pm

another option would be to get him a prepaid credit card with some small amount stored on it.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by BradWI
another option would be to get him a prepaid credit card with some small amount stored on it.
That's a great alternate suggestion.....
Old Sep 29, 2011, 4:16 pm

Programs: Delta Silver
O/T but my question is why F9 advertises that they carry MSNBC (which is overlapped with CNBC, the only dual channel they list). No matter what time of day I've flown, I haven't seen MSNBC on there in well over a year. When I've asked the FAs, they say they have no control over it, so I'm presuming it's DirectTV's decision? Seems weird to me though, why do it in the first place (bandwidth?) and why not just pick one or the other?
Old Sep 29, 2011, 9:39 pm
Suspended

Direct TV is a great benefit of flying Frontier.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 11:50 am

Programs: AS, AA, WN
Originally Posted by BradWI
Agreed. I do this for my daughter when she flies as a UM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.