Wiki Posts
Search

Economy/Classic/Classic Plus - Fair Class Codes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2011, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Frontier
Economy/Classic/Classic Plus - Fair Class Codes

Would anyone happen to know the codes that F9 uses on different fair classes? My corporate booking tool shows me the code, but often I can't figure out which class of service I'm supposed to be receiving.

I've seen classes (U), (T), (L), (E), (Y) and (M) on recent flights, but am not sure what class these represent.

Thank you in advance, I've searched through the threads and do not seem to find my answer there.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:32 am

It's not clear to me that any of the fare codes necessarily translate into Classic or Classic Plus. Here's why I think that.

When you purchase business class or first class through a travel agent, through an online website, etc, your fare class matches the cabin you purchased no matter where you bought it. Delta, Expedia, or your travel agent will all happily sell you an F ticket for Delta's first class cabin.

Frontier Classic and Classic Plus fares are only available via the Frontier website, and so that suggests to me that perhaps it is not a premium fare class, but more of an internally-tracked upgrade. If that is the case, then none of the fare classes you purchase externally, like on a corporate booking tool, allow you to purchase Classic or Classic Plus.

That is only my speculation, and if anyone knows for sure one way or another, please jump in. But it wouldn't surprise me if none of those fare buckets you can purchase on your corporate booking tool actual translate into Classic or Classic Plus.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:22 am

Each fare bucket has an Economy, Classic and Classic Plus fare. The only way you will be able to tell which ticket you have is by the fare basis code. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:39 am
Original Poster

I have, occasionally, purchased a ticket via corporate tool, then when I print my boarding pass, it is marked "Classic Plus". Most of the time, these have been from last minute bookings, but bookings done through the corporate tool.

A recent one, for example, shows on the outbound (U) and the return (T), both boarding passes printed with Classic Plus. I have another that shows (E) and (M), those were both Economy.

Not a big deal as I'm Summit, and can always get into stretch seatin. I like to track my miles, and have noticed an issue sometimes of getting the 50% Classic Plus EQM bonus miles posting to my ER account after the fact. I was just trying to see if there was a way I could use something other than my boarding passes (which usually get tossed after my trip) to track Classic Plus.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by huskerabe
I have, occasionally, purchased a ticket via corporate tool, then when I print my boarding pass, it is marked "Classic Plus". Most of the time, these have been from last minute bookings, but bookings done through the corporate tool.

A recent one, for example, shows on the outbound (U) and the return (T), both boarding passes printed with Classic Plus. I have another that shows (E) and (M), those were both Economy.

Not a big deal as I'm Summit, and can always get into stretch seatin. I like to track my miles, and have noticed an issue sometimes of getting the 50% Classic Plus EQM bonus miles posting to my ER account after the fact. I was just trying to see if there was a way I could use something other than my boarding passes (which usually get tossed after my trip) to track Classic Plus.
One pricing oddity I've noticed is that often reservations made within a couple of days of departure will price out the same, no matter what class you book. So, why book as Economy, when you can book Classic Plus for exactly the same fare? Other times Economy will just offer a small savings...I've seen anywhere between a $1-$15 difference, instead of the usual $25 surcharge for Classic.

I don't understand why the booking engine just does not show the lower classes as sold out, if all three classes are the same cost. Is it for marketing, to make customers think that Classic and Classic Plus are on sale?
Old Mar 11, 2011, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by mke9499
One pricing oddity I've noticed is that often reservations made within a couple of days of departure will price out the same, no matter what class you book. So, why book as Economy, when you can book Classic Plus for exactly the same fare? Other times Economy will just offer a small savings...I've seen anywhere between a $1-$15 difference, instead of the usual $25 surcharge for Classic.

I don't understand why the booking engine just does not show the lower classes as sold out, if all three classes are the same cost. Is it for marketing, to make customers think that Classic and Classic Plus are on sale?
Because that ticket entered into Y class, where Economy & Classic are priced the same as Classic Plus, therefore the same price for all. That's why the Whole Enchilada had the same prices across the board on Midwest flights which were using Y class.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by MostlyAir
Because that ticket entered into Y class, where Economy & Classic are priced the same as Classic Plus, therefore the same price for all. That's why the Whole Enchilada had the same prices across the board on Midwest flights which were using Y class.
I suppose like buying a "Y-Up" fare and bumping up to First Class cabin.

Thanks for the explanation.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 3:52 pm

The letter can be anything. The way to tell if it's Classic Plus, Classic, or economy is to look at the entire "fare basis" that is printed on the ticket. If it ends with 1, it's Classic Plus, If it ends with 3, it's Classic. If it ends with 5, it's economy. That's how their computer differentiates the three at check in.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Perfect, now I see the fair basis code on my corporate tool, I will be able to use that to identify the type of ticket purchased! Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.