Wiki Posts
Search

DIA Sets New Traffic Record

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2011, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
DIA Sets New Traffic Record

I know we spend time discussing MKE's traffic figures on the forum, so I thought some folks might like to see DIA for comparison. See the 2010 details here.

2010 was the busiest in the airport's 16-year history at 52.2 million passtengers. I believe this keeps Denver as the 5th busiest airport in the U.S. and 10th busiest in the world.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 4:53 pm

Always good to hear what's going on at DEN. Those of us that were former Midwest pax tend to keep the focus on MKE and MCI.

As as sidenote, I've enjoyed my connections at DEN. Nice to be in an airport that was built for the 21st century.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 6:50 pm

DEN is very nice. Clearly, the competition between F9, UA and WN is keeping things hopping there.

Did I read somewhere that DEN is about to lose all transoceanic international service? If so, I wonder if it is the world's busiest airport with that designation?
Old Jan 31, 2011, 7:24 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
2010 was the busiest in the airport's 16-year history at 52.2 million passtengers. I believe this keeps Denver as the 5th busiest airport in the U.S. and 10th busiest in the world.
I am amazed that the 5th busiest in the US would be be the 10th in the world. I clearly do not have a great sense of world commerce, and I would have guessed that the 5th busiest in the US would be at most 20th in the world.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
Did I read somewhere that DEN is about to lose all transoceanic international service?
We've only got 3 flights now, so that would be a downer. From what I understand, UA is discontinuing its direct service LHR, but BA is planning to keep theirs. We also have LH to FRA

City officials have been working for years on transoceanic service to Asia. Most likely it'll be ANA if/when the Boeing 787 is delivered to them. As you can imagine, that would be a fantastic addition to DIA.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 2:03 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by lougord99
I am amazed that the 5th busiest in the US would be be the 10th in the world. I clearly do not have a great sense of world commerce, and I would have guessed that the 5th busiest in the US would be at most 20th in the world.
Depends how you measure "busiest".
2010 By passenger traffic (Jan-Oct)
  1. ATL
  2. PEK
  3. ORD
  4. LHR
  5. HND
  6. CDG
  7. LAX
  8. DFW
  9. FRA
  10. DEN
  11. MAD
  12. HKG
  13. JFK
  14. DXB
  15. AMS
  16. CGK
  17. BKK
  18. PVG
  19. CAN
  20. SIN
  21. IAH
  22. LAS
  23. SFO
  24. PHX
  25. CLT
  26. FCO
  27. SYD
  28. MIA
  29. MUC
  30. MCO

2010 traffic movements (Jan-Sep)
  1. ATL
  2. ORD
  3. DFW
  4. DEN
  5. LAX
  6. IAH
  7. CLT
  8. PEK
  9. LAS
  10. CDG
  11. FRA
  12. PHL
  13. LHR
  14. DTW
  15. PHX
  16. MAD
  17. MSP
  18. YYZ
  19. AMS
  20. EWR
  21. JFK
  22. MUC
  23. SFO
  24. MIA
  25. SLC
  26. DVT
  27. LGA
  28. BOS
  29. MEX
  30. HND
Old Feb 2, 2011, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought some folks might like to see DIA for comparison.
No such place, so hard to compare anything to it.

The Denver airport is DEN, not DIA.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
No such place, so hard to compare anything to it.

The Denver airport is DEN, not DIA.
True as far as the code goes, but DIA is also used as common shorthand when speaking of the Denver International Airport.

Very similar to how Kasnas City's main airport code is MCI, but it is very commonly spoken of as KCI, not MCI. The airport's website is flykci.com, not flymci.com

Last edited by knope2001; Feb 3, 2011 at 4:39 am
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by knope2001
True as far as the code goes, but DIA is also used as common shorthand when speaking of the Denver International Airport.

Very similar to how Kasnas City's main airport code is MCI, but it is very commonly spoken of as KCI, not MCI. The airport's website is flykci.com, not flymci.com
Thanks for having my back knope.

sdsearch, I apologize for not being clear . I guess between the news media and the airport personnel, they have trained us locals pretty well as they ALWAYS refer to the airport as DIA. Heck, you can even use that three letter airport designator in Orbitz just fine to find flights to/from DEN. Sorry if I confused you.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 6:37 am

^^^
Old Feb 6, 2011, 12:40 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)

sdsearch, I apologize for not being clear . I guess between the news media and the airport personnel, they have trained us locals pretty well as they ALWAYS refer to the airport as DIA. Heck, you can even use that three letter airport designator in Orbitz just fine to find flights to/from DEN. Sorry if I confused you.
Remember when it was actually DVX and delayed DIA came to be known as "Doesn't Include Airplanes" and DEN meant Stapleton?

Obviously they have come a long way.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by traveller001
Remember when it was actually DVX and delayed DIA came to be known as "Doesn't Include Airplanes" and DEN meant Stapleton?

Obviously they have come a long way.
Loved the acronym Doesn't Include Airplanes.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess between the news media and the airport personnel, they have trained us locals pretty well as they ALWAYS refer to the airport as DIA.
I wonder if the locals refer to Detroit as DIA too? (DTW sounds much harder to roll off the tongue than DEN!)

Or for that matter, perhaps some DC area locals use it for Dulles? (IAD is so backwards !)

That's the problem with "local talk" on a national or international online discussion medium. You never know how many different localitiies might have chosen the same "local lingo".

And, now that Frontier is finally starting to become less of a "for Denver area people only" airline, it's not as obvious as before that something you don't understand "must" refer to DEN because it's in the Frontier forum...
Old Feb 10, 2011, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I wonder if the locals refer to Detroit as DIA too? (DTW sounds much harder to roll off the tongue than DEN!)
I think they tend to call it "Metro" if they don't just say "the airport".
Old Feb 11, 2011, 11:46 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Fmr Midwest Miles Executive
Originally Posted by knope2001
I think they tend to call it "Metro" if they don't just say "the airport".
I think you are right Knope...Although "the airport" is probably not used that often since they do have the downtown airport, which is referred to as "City".

I really think it depends on the city you are in...I know my buddies and I refer to General Mitchell as "The General" (that probably isnt all that common amongst the general public though)...People in Chicago refer to O'Hare and Midway as their names instead of abbreviations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.