Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2010, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

WiFi on E190 and E170

WiFi on the E-jets, something mentioned informally in passing is now official:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Fronti....html?x=0&.v=1

--Starts at $4.95 based on flight length

--All 32 aircraft should be finished by year end

--"the carrier will continue to research inflight connectivity options to further enhance the Frontier travel experience"
Old Apr 22, 2010, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by knope2001
WiFi on the E-jets, something mentioned informally in passing is now official:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Fronti....html?x=0&.v=1

--Starts at $4.95 based on flight length

--All 32 aircraft should be finished by year end

--"the carrier will continue to research inflight connectivity options to further enhance the Frontier travel experience"
This is a smart move. It needed to be done to remain competitive within the industry.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 3:20 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Frontier EarlyReturns Summit
Hopefully the further research leads to installation in the Airbus fleet as well.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromMKE
Hopefully the further research leads to installation in the Airbus fleet as well.
Hopefully the further research will lead to power outlets as well!
Old Apr 22, 2010, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
+110
Old Apr 22, 2010, 6:40 pm

Fleet Wide WiFi and fleet wide DirecTV need to be a high priority.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 8:32 pm

I still haven't figured out why this hasn't happened yet.

At the very least, install power strips on the floor allowing for two outlets per row (one on each side of the aircraft) or every few rows.

WiFi is a nice addition but it does need to be installed fleet wide at some point. Perhaps the priority is to get it on the E170/E190 aircraft because a) they don't have Live TV and b) those planes tend to be allocated heavily towards business markets in MKE where demand may be stronger.

I agree with RSVP that TVs need to be installed on the E190s. The argument that Live TV would cause the E190s to be weight restricted doesn't really hold water with me. Air Canada and JetBlue don't seem to have any problems with aircraft weight and they operate the E190s on some fairly long routes.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe2000
I still haven't figured out why this hasn't happened yet.
QFT.

Even crapperific Amtrak has power outlets at every seat on the routes I use.

At the very least, install power strips on the floor allowing for two outlets per row (one on each side of the aircraft) or every few rows.
Would the side of the fuselage make more sense in terms of access/maneuverability?
Old Apr 23, 2010, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Speaking as somone who (apparently) would rather curse the darkness than light a candle when it comes to replacing his four-minute laptop battery, onboard power would be fantastic. However....

(1) It seems like more of a niceity than a competitive requirement. With a few exceptions (including a fair number AA planes) you find very very little power in coach on anything smaller than a 767 or 757. The huge majority of planes that competitors operate in F9/YX markets do not have power. Even on those airlines with some domesitc, the availability seems pretty iffy in coach based on what particular aircraft version is used.

(2) I don't think anybody US domestic has any sort of power on planes smaller than about 125 seats.

(3) As a free amenitiy, onboard power is an expense with no direct offsetting revenue. It needs to be cheap and light, and the more expensive and heavier it gets, the less cost-justified it can be. F9/YX is an LCC and needs to be to succeed.

If it is not too expensive, I like the idea of putting the power just in the Stretch section to further incent people to upgrade. Also, the added legroom of those seats makes using a full-sized laptop a better propostion.

Originally Posted by essxjay
Would the side of the fuselage make more sense in terms of access/maneuverability?
It might, although for someone not at the window it means cords over or under the window passengers. If they'd consider putting it on the E190/E170, those seats do not have a center pillar between them, so I'm not sure if that complicates placing the power port between two seats by your knees as some airlines do.

Having onboard power would be a great differentiation between F9/YX and the competition, however some differentiations are cost-effective, and others are not.

Even crapperific Amtrak has power outlets at every seat on the routes I use.
Is that just Acela, or have they expanded power beyond that line? No fair counting bathroom shaver outlets!

Last edited by knope2001; Apr 23, 2010 at 6:07 am
Old Apr 23, 2010, 10:36 am

Programs: IC Gold, HHonors Gold, YX, NW
Is that just Acela, or have they expanded power beyond that line? No fair counting bathroom shaver outlets!
I've used power outlets on the Hiawatha line. It's been a few years now but then it was about every other car had power outlets.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by codejockey
I've used power outlets on the Hiawatha line. It's been a few years now but then it was about every other car had power outlets.
I wondered about that...I used to be on the Hiawatha fairly often buy my travel patterns changed, and I haven't been on much in several years. It seems like a great business-heavy route to have laptop power, even if it is only 90 minutes.

One additional comment regarding the wi-fi annoucement. No mention of it in the MKE Journal-Sentinel today. Not sure if that is a function of them not interested, or it not being presented to them in such a way to make them interested. But all the spin Frontier can get is beneficial.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:32 pm

One additional comment regarding the wi-fi annoucement. No mention of it in the MKE Journal-Sentinel today. Not sure if that is a function of them not interested, or it not being presented to them in such a way to make them interested. But all the spin Frontier can get is beneficial.
Other carriers are certainly getting publicity about their Wi-Fi.

http://denver.bizjournals.com/denver...0000%5E3130971

There is an interesting quote in the story from the Frontier spokesperson.

Kudos to Steve Jagler for noting the news today ...http://www.biztimes.com/daily/2010/4...light-internet

I think that some lurkers on this board are just not on the ball. Milwaukee media usually follow up on our leads more quickly.

I have not seen any Journal Sentinel coverage this week concerning Tuesday's Fed Court ruling against Republic in regard to the Teamsters' Union claim, either. Other local media did pick up on the ruling, after it was posted here.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 3:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Speaking as somone who (apparently) would rather curse the darkness than light a candle when it comes to replacing his four-minute laptop battery, onboard power would be fantastic. However....

(1) It seems like more of a niceity than a competitive requirement.
Largely, I think you're right.

I have a slightly off perspective: 1) totally spoiled now by Clear's 4G/3G coverage, and 2) being a former mid-tier elite who has shifted almost all domestic leisure travel to short haul West Coast trips > 50% of which are easier/more pleasurably done on Amtrak (see below) than AS or UA.

It might, although for someone not at the window it means cords over or under the window passengers. If they'd consider putting it on the E190/E170, those seats do not have a center pillar between them, so I'm not sure if that complicates placing the power port between two seats by your knees as some airlines do.
A good reminder that I need to come up to speed on YX a/c.

Cascades (EUG-YVR) for sure. My last four or five legs since June '09 whether I've been in coach or Biz, every seat had an outlet (or dual outlet?) along the bottom edge of the wall. The Coast Starlight has Wifi so at the very least the Pacific Parlor car has power (I would hope!), though I know for a fact that one of the dome cars *does not* have power :sob: :sob:. I would also venture the Pacific Surfliner has some power since Wifi has been up and running a while now.

Back on topic, lemme ask a naive question: is WiMax a viable technology on a/c? (I'm an apps jockey, not network junkie!)

Last edited by essxjay; Apr 23, 2010 at 4:05 pm
Old Apr 23, 2010, 8:21 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Frontier EarlyReturns Summit
Back on topic, lemme ask a naive question: is WiMax a viable technology on a/c? (I'm an apps jockey, not network junkie!)
WiMax infrastructure works very similarly to cell infrastructure so the problem would be devices jumping towers from 30k feet and going 600 mph. Even if they could figure this out on the WiMax standard, this is basically what GoGo does except using their own proprietary technology and probably wouldn't give you many benefits. Now what would be cool is if GoGo and Clear signed some sort of agreement where you could pay one monthly fee and get both.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:11 am

From The Cranky Flier:

http://crankyflier.com/2010/04/28/fr...-190-aircraft/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.