Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MKE security checkpoint delays

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2010, 6:05 am
Original Poster

MKE security checkpoint delays

Article in today's Journal Sentinel. Gotta love how it's an article about security checkpoints, but they use a photo of the baggage check area.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/98385244.html
Old Jul 14, 2010, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
Article in today's Journal Sentinel. Gotta love how it's an article about security checkpoints, but they use a photo of the baggage check area.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/98385244.html
Responsible journalism?
Old Jul 14, 2010, 8:17 am

But the number of Transportation Security Administration employees working at the airport has not kept pace with the increased passenger count, Rowe said. Airport officials have discussed the issue with agency officials, she said.

"They are in a hiring mode right now," Rowe said.

But, she added: "The hiring process is not fast. They have to train security staff."
Sophisticated recruiting efforts of TSA:

http://tinyurl.com/36yjwmf
Old Jul 15, 2010, 1:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by mke9499
Sophisticated recruiting efforts of TSA:

http://tinyurl.com/36yjwmf
See also Dhs/tsa employee pool.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 8:56 pm

Is it time to reconfigure TSA at MKE?

I've often wondered - if TSA had a single checkpoint for the C, D, and E concourses (similar to MDW), would they be able to more easily match staffing levels to passenger volume? As an added benefit, it would also allow the E concourse passengers some better food options!!
Old Jul 16, 2010, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MKE Sam
I've often wondered - if TSA had a single checkpoint for the C, D, and E concourses (similar to MDW), would they be able to more easily match staffing levels to passenger volume? As an added benefit, it would also allow the E concourse passengers some better food options!!
Currently the airport is not configured for that type of operation, and there are no plans to do so.

It would require a substantial build-out to make the concourses connect together beyond the security checkpoints. The only other option would be to locate security checkpoints at the actual entrances to the main terminal building, i.e. before even entering the main concession area, and I don't think that's feasible either.

As for additional food options for Concourse E passengers, you can use a boarding pass for any airline to access concourse D (i.e. to go to Nonna Bartolotta's).
Old Jul 16, 2010, 9:55 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Frontier EarlyReturns Summit
Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
Currently the airport is not configured for that type of operation, and there are no plans to do so.
Any immediate plans, no. But I think most of the terminal configurations in the 20 year plan account for connections between concourses after the checkpoints. Obviously its anyone's guess if that ever comes to be but at least they are aware of it.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by MKE Sam
My understanding from discussions over in the TS/S forum is that checkpoints belong to the airlines; the TSA just mans them. If the airlines what to reconfigure things that's largely between them and local airport authorities. The whole issue of federal control of airline/airport "property" is a very contentious one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.