Question about Frontier Vacations

Old Jan 14, 08, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Question about Frontier Vacations

Hey, I'm trying to help my girlfriend plan a vacation for spring break. I'm just in the initial planning stages, but, right now shes looking Akron-CUN or another Mexican destination. After calling, and being told there was no way to do this, I was wondering if anyone on FT had any ideas about how to do this:

The Problem: Frontier Vacs prices about $6-700 for 4 nights, from DEN-CUN (using as an example). When pricing CAK-CUN (with a connection, in DEN, of course) the price jumps to around $14-1500. I can book a separate flight CAK-DEN for like $220.

The Questions: Is there anyway around this, to force that CAK-DEN onto the itinerary, without that part costing $800 (ie Make this an ~$800 trip, not $1400)?

If I do book separately, is Frontier willing to accommodate if she mis-connects?

What kind of service could she expect on Frontier? Comparable to Southwest?

Thanks

PS-the dummy dates I've been using are the first week of March
Old Jan 14, 08, 7:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Can't answer all your questions but the service on F9 is pretty decent for a domestic carrier. Usually two drink services on a 3 hour flight along with a bag of chips. No food is available beyond chips/granola bar/etc.

There is DirectTV available for purchase at the seat for $5
Old Jan 14, 08, 9:27 pm

Programs: Frontier Summit, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
That would only apply for CAK-DEN (and DEN-CAK), with also a choice of a movie for $8. The Mexico flight will be free TV since the signal is gone across the border (licensing issues?).

The Akron flights are Tier 1 for food so it is:
Morning - Granola Bar
Mid-day to Evening - Dorritos, Sun Chips, Fritos
Red-Eye - Warm Cookie
(Same, but no cookie for Mexico flights).

Plus $5 for alcoholic drinks. Credit cards only for TV and drinks, no cash.

Frontier's Customer Service line is very good so I would suggest giving them a call about merging two PNRs. Worst case, spend a longer layover at DEN. It is not a bad airport to be stuck at. If you have the time for a good walk, you can head over to the B gates and visit the New Belguim pub. Or stay in A and try one of Chef Jimmy's paninis (the restaurant has a bar).
Old Jan 14, 08, 9:32 pm

Sorry, I just realized about the Spring Break part. So the alcohol on the planes and at DEN are probably out of the question. Even if legal, she may want to wait till Mexico to start that stage of the vacation.
Old Jan 14, 08, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted by JaggedMind View Post
Sorry, I just realized about the Spring Break part. So the alcohol on the planes and at DEN are probably out of the question. Even if legal, she may want to wait till Mexico to start that stage of the vacation.
haha i didn't even think about that, she's actually 23 and in med school
and i'm 22, and i've never been carded on a plane!

thanks for your help, i'll try calling them, and see what they say. like i said, i'm just in the beginning stages of planning it, but this seems like a pretty good deal, especially only 2 months out.
Old Jan 15, 08, 4:22 am

Programs: United, Southwest, HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Airtran, Starwood Plat, Marriott Gold, Loews Gold
I am a career Firefighter and work part time as a travel agent. I once booked someone to Cancun out of Akron on an apple vacation package. It gave me multiple choices of airlines, but frontier came up the cheapest because it was considered a contracted rate. It was about 100.00 less than all the other prices. Email me or private message if you have any questions.
Old Jan 15, 08, 12:35 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Reduced Food Options

Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
Can't answer all your questions but the service on F9 is pretty decent for a domestic carrier. Usually two drink services on a 3 hour flight along with a bag of chips. No food is available beyond chips/granola bar/etc.

Going SLC-CUN next month. When I booked, I looked at the "inflight catering" section of frontier.com to check out the onboard food options. The food looked pretty good (for airline food options) with wraps and such for longer flights - though there was a difference for flights to Cancun versus flights to other Mexico destinations.

Now, after reading this thread, I just went back to frontier.com and it appears that the inflight snacks/meals have all changed, and for the worse. Is this a recent change? Anyone know?

Even the map on the inflight catering page is different - no option to enlarge to be able to actually read the map (the .jpg is named IFE_map_13DEC07.jpg - maybe 12/13/07 was the date of the switch?).
Old Jan 15, 08, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by kchoya View Post
Now, after reading this thread, I just went back to frontier.com and it appears that the inflight snacks/meals have all changed, and for the worse. Is this a recent change? Anyone know?
I have not done a long haul on Frontier, but I do seem to remember seeing stuff like wraps listed before.

And I assume you are looking at the direct SLC-CUN and not going through DEN. From my experience, the airside to-go food choices at SLC is pretty bad.
Old Jan 15, 08, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by JaggedMind View Post
I have not done a long haul on Frontier, but I do seem to remember seeing stuff like wraps listed before.

And I assume you are looking at the direct SLC-CUN and not going through DEN. From my experience, the airside to-go food choices at SLC is pretty bad.
Actually, we're booked through Denver both ways. We're taking the redeye from DEN to CUN so we don't waste a day traveling. We're only there Saturday to Thursday.

Coming back, I don't think there's a CUN-SLC direct on Thursday, so we go through DEN again. That wouldn't be bad except we only have an 80 minute layover, so it might be interesting going through customs, etc.

I agree with the comment on the lack of food choices at SLC. At least we're not scheduled to depart until 9:00pm, so we should be able to eat before going to the airport.
Old Jan 16, 08, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Just a few weeks ago they were still listing wraps for Mexico destinations--except for CUN. It looks to me like they just made all Mexico destination the same as CUN catering. (hard to call granola bars and drinks "catering" lol)

My first Frontier flight is to CUN March 9th at 7am-ish, I heard they do donuts sometimes too/instead of granola bars? I'm hoping for a donut, lol. (but plan to bring something else with me, just in case)
Old Jan 16, 08, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by chamonix View Post
Just a few weeks ago they were still listing wraps for Mexico destinations--except for CUN. It looks to me like they just made all Mexico destination the same as CUN catering. (hard to call granola bars and drinks "catering" lol)

My first Frontier flight is to CUN March 9th at 7am-ish, I heard they do donuts sometimes too/instead of granola bars? I'm hoping for a donut, lol. (but plan to bring something else with me, just in case)
We're doing the redeye to Cancun, so I'm not really worried about food on that leg. However, coming back, we depart at 5:15, so it would be nice to have a decent snack on that leg, especially since I have no idea how long it will take to get checked-in in Cancun and whether we'll have time to grab a bite at the airport (don't even know what food options they have in CUN).

Search this Thread