Exit row seating

Old Dec 6, 07, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM
Exit row seating

What's the procedure for securing an exit row seat? Is it first-come, first-served, or do Ascent/Summit members get first dibs? Can you select exit row seating online (either in advance or through online check-in), or do you have to do it at the airport?
Old Dec 6, 07, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by kchoya View Post
What's the procedure for securing an exit row seat? Is it first-come, first-served, or do Ascent/Summit members get first dibs? Can you select exit row seating online (either in advance or through online check-in), or do you have to do it at the airport?
Ascent and Summit get first dibs, and can reserve them online, until check-in time opens at the airport. Then it is first come first serve.
Old Dec 6, 07, 5:45 pm

Programs: F9 Ascent, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
When exactly does check-in open at the Airport? Does OLCI follow the same rules? I remember when I first started to travel with no status, that I could select Exit seats day-of-departure Online, but recently I have tried to OLCI my girlfriend and couldn't select any Exit seats, while on the same flight I was able to see them all open (as a Summit on a different PNR).

On the topic of Exit seats, has anyone else noticed that Frontier F/A's seem to give the most thorough briefings to the exit row-sitters? I have been flying UA lately due to an assignment where Frontier doesn't fly, and the "mandatory questions" phase that I have overheard has never consisted of more than "You know you are all in an exit row? Ok." Frontier has almost always done the full "please remove your headphones... you know this is an exit row, you must be able to...etc... I need a verbal confirmation from each of you" spiel. It seems like their training is a cut above the rest!

I even had one F/A who went into a five-minute long lesson on the technical operation of the door, slide, life vests and rafts, signals to evacuate, and procedures for blocking the door if there is fire outside and directing passengers to another exit. Wow! It was quite interesting, though I'm glad I don't get that on every flight. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Old Dec 7, 07, 6:24 am

Programs: Frontier Summit, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by DenverF9Flier View Post
Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Yes they usually do the detailed speech. I had an unusual exit row experience just recently:

I was the last to board as the flight was closing and my name had been passed down to the FAs. So as I board I was greeted by the door FA and I asked if they did the exit row speech yet. This surprised him, especially since there was a poacher in my aisle exit seat. He quickly asked if I "was exit row capable", which I said yes to, as he went to evict the poacher. As I was settling in he announced to the row "For those of you that listened to the exit row speech, Mr. JaggedMind here is well qualified".
Old Dec 10, 07, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by petteri View Post
Ascent and Summit get first dibs, and can reserve them online, until check-in time opens at the airport. Then it is first come first serve.
Thanks, I have a redeye to Mexico in February that I wouldn't mind being in the ext row for, but I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Search this Thread